KS
Posted By
Keith Shivner
Sep 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It is difficult to find a straight answer in this forum.

Does photoshop elements 2.0 FULLY support Nikon’s version of the RAW file?

I mean you can do all the manipulating that you can do with their capture software. Of which they claim is the only software that is fully functional with their RAW files.

I mean without having to buy some high priced add in.

This is an importan file format and needs to be supported as part of the normal package.

Thanks
Keith

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 6, 2003
Keith, I believe you have to buy the Adobe Raw plug-in ($99) to get full NEF support. Most of us who shoot in RAW mode use the camera manufacturer’s software to make the conversion to TIFF, then use Elements for the heavy editing.
GD
Grant Dixon
Sep 6, 2003
Keith

No Photoshop Elements 2.0 doesn’t support NEF (Nikon RAW).

Nikon View 5.1 that comes with the Nikons that support NEF installs a Photoshop file format plug-in which allows you to open NEF files directly (it also allows exposure compensation adjustment and white balance adjustment).

Grant
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 6, 2003
Grant, do they open directly in Elements? That’s pretty cool if they do; what more could you want ?!

Chuck
GD
Grant Dixon
Sep 6, 2003
Chuck

I am not sure if it works but Nikon does state that it works on any imaging software that allows Photoshop plug-ins. That being said I suspect you may access it in filters and not in Files > Import as you do with Canon RAW, but I am not really sure. Now this is a Nikon product so we will have to trust them 😉

Grant
ML
Marty Landolt
Sep 6, 2003
Just a note…I wonder why Keith has difficulty in finding replies here. I read 75% of the threads and notice how quick people get replies and with such detail.
Marty
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 6, 2003
Marty, It’s possible he meant the ‘search’ just didn’t turn up anything or a particular thread went off course …gee, does that happen here ? 🙂

Nikon ( sigh )
GD
Grant Dixon
Sep 6, 2003
Jodi

I have the king of Nikons …. do you want to run off and join the circus with me. ( Double Sigh)

Grant
ML
Marty Landolt
Sep 6, 2003
JODI,
You have only good words for everyone.
Thanks for buttering up the situation.
I simply find nothing negative about PSE forum.
Marty
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 6, 2003
Grant, I’m all done packing. Hope I got everything.

Marty, I purposely remain positive…otherwise..hmmm, watch out !

😉
PD
Pete D
Sep 6, 2003
Jodi, done packing….me too. see you next week.
MP
Marshall Ponzi
Sep 24, 2003
In order to open Raw files in Photoshop, you need to purchase the CameraRaw Plugin ($99). You can get all the info (including the user manual) at the following link.

<http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html>

My question… Will the CameraRaw Plug-in work with Elements, or just Photoshop 7.x?
R
Ray
Sep 24, 2003
Marshall, the camera RAW plugin works with Elements. The only thing not working is 16 bits TIFF. Elements does not handle these files, they are converted to 8 bits.

Ray
GD
Grant Dixon
Sep 24, 2003
I thought Nikon supplied a plug in that will import Raw into elements with out going to the extra expense.

Grant
MP
Marshall Ponzi
Sep 24, 2003
Ray:

Thanks for the clarification on the CameraRaw Plug-in and Elements.

Regarding Grant’s question…

Yes, Nikon supplies a utility "Nikon View" that will capture images from the camera and allow you to convert the Raw (NEF) images to TIF, JPEG, etc. I haven’t used this, but if it’s like Canon’s conversion software, you can make "tweaks" to the photos, like White Balance, Brightness, Sharpness, etc. during the conversion.

If you want [much] more control over the conversion (i.e. EV levels…) you need to either purchase the Adobe CameraRaw Plug-in ($99) or the Nikon Capture ($120-150) software.

I’m not up on all the feature / performance differences between the two options, but I believe the Photoshop option will save storage space and a step in the workflow, by allowing you to FILE>OPEN raw files without having to convert them first. Also, the Photoshop option is meant to work with other file formats too (Canon .crw, etc.) This is good for me as I might keep my Canon G2 as well as buy a new Nikon.

Marshall
BG
Byron Gale
Sep 24, 2003
I know absolutely nothing about RAW format, because my Sony digicam only makes JPG and TIFF…. but I happened to notice that the current release of IMatch claims "IMatch natively supports all major digital camera RAW formats, handles EXIF and IPTC information…"

Perhaps this $49 program could work as a translator between RAW and PE?

Again, I would need years of study to even become ignorant on the subject…

Byron
MP
Marshall Ponzi
Sep 24, 2003
I just looked at Nikon’s website, and apparently the Nikon "Capture" software (purchased separately) includes the Photoshop Plug-in.

Best of both worlds for Nikon users.

Marshall

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections