oval or round shaped images – non rectangular (ie logo)

KT
Posted By
Karl_Tallman
Dec 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is probably a simple question, but Just can’t seem to find the solution. I designed a logo that is rectangular. I want to use it on a business card but I want it to be oval shaped. I used the elliptical marquee tool and selected an oval area and copied it onto a new image which I then saved as a Jpeg image. I was expecting to be able to open this jpeg logo in MS Word and drop it into my business card but it is still coming out as a rectangular shaped logo. The logo is oval shaped but there are gray corners resulting in a rectangular shaped image. I tried selecting the transparent option when creating the new image but it still comes out as a rectangle. How do I save just an oval or circle with no other image or fill that results in a rectangular shape?

Thanks in advance
Karl Tallman

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DG
Don_Girard
Dec 22, 2003
Karl,
Not sure if this will work in PSE, but continue to use the transparent background and save your logo as a .bmp file.

Don
KW
Kyle_White
Dec 22, 2003
Hi Karl,

Don has the gist of it. Unfortunately computers don’t deal with non-rectangular images very well.

An alternative to saving the image in a type that supports transparency, is to make the area outside the oval the same colour as the background it is going to be used in, especially effective with Web pages. And being that none but a few printers actually print white, you’d be relatively safe leaving the outer area plain white, even if you’re printing on colour stock.

HTH

Kyle
PA
Patti_Anderson
Dec 22, 2003
Karl,
You can preserve your transparency if you save you image aa a GIF file. Saving as a GIF will index the colors.

Use Save As in Elements and save your oval image as a Compuserve GIF file. You could also use Save for Web if you want a preview. Whichever ever way you save, check the little box beside Transparency in the dialogs that follow. Now insert your oval picture in the Word document. Tada!

There is also a Set Transparent color tool in Word on the Picture toolbar, but you still need an GIF image from Elements so that it has the indexed colors. Select your picture in Word, click on the Set Transparent Color tool (looks like a wand) and then click on the white background. Poof!

Patti
KT
Karl_Tallman
Dec 24, 2003
Patti,
Thanks for the tip – that did the trick!
Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Karl

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections