AC
Posted By
Andrew_Cornes
Jul 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dual G5 with 10.3.2 and running Photoshop CS – I am consistently getting anomalies when saving copies of large, multi-layered PSCS docs – either flattening first and saving TIFF version copy or ‘saving as’ and not including layers… the resulting files have random horizontal pixel anomalies – has anyone had similar problems?
Thanks in advance…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 8, 2004
Andrew,

There are several reasons why you see these abberations.

If the random pixels appear to change position each time you open the document, mouse over it, pan the image across your screen or change magnification, and the document prints normally or opens normally on another machine, it is most likely a monitor video card problem. Check for video card seating and cable connections, or repair/replace the card.

If these pixels are fixed in place as if a permanent part of the graphic, then it could be bad RAM, failing drive, bad cable connections or other hardware fault. The cheap fix is if this is a result of bad connections or component seating. If these pixels are a result of working on a file across a network — don’t! Always copy the server-stored document to your hard drive, work on it on your hard drive, save it to your hard drive. And then, at the end of your session, drag-copy it to the server again.

There may be other reasons for this failure. Can you be more specific about the circumstances? Etc.?

Neil
VG
Vernon_Glen_Groff
Jul 9, 2004
I am having the same problem. I run Photoshop 7 on a Mac 17" Titanium in Os 10.2 . I get random blue horizontal lines. They appear after the file has been saved and are visible in quark and do print, real problem. They seem to appear in areas that I have enclosed in a path and then deleted. I expect to see a nice white background and these lines appear. When I create a clipping path they sometimes appear outside the clipping path in the Photoshop doc, but fortunetly are staying clipped when in Quark. They can be erased, but save the file and reopen it and they reappear in different locations.

Thanks, any ideas? The laptop is less then a year old, could the video card really go bad that fast?

vern
GB
g_ballard
Jul 9, 2004
ya write a great headline like that (but apparently haven’t done a forum search?)?

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>

If corrupted files are associated with opening or saving them from over across a network disks, see Adobe’s Support Doc. # 322391 adobe.com. In essence: Copy the file from the server to your local workstation disk, Open the file from your local disk, Save the file to your local disk, Copy the closed file back to the server Ñ never Open or Save Photoshop files across a network.

Rule out RAM is also important. In addition to crashing, kernel panics, Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 errors, corrupted files and disk errors, typical symptoms of bad Ram in Photoshop include rows lines patches of bad pixels on screen that also print (the actual file is being corrupted). If the bad pixel areas are on the monitor, but do not print (the actual file is not corrupted), video card or video-card drivers are prime suspects.

They seem to appear in areas that I have enclosed in a path and then
deleted.

Not to say I have a clue about that until you rule out the install, the updaters, the normal stuff…
R
Ram
Jul 9, 2004
Also, please give exact numbers of the versions of the software you are running.

You should be at Photoshop 8 ("CS") or Photoshop 7.0.1 (not plain "7") and either at OS X 10.3.4 (not 10.3,2) or, if you’re not on Panther yet, at least on 10.2.8 (not plain 10.2).
VG
Vernon_Glen_Groff
Jul 9, 2004
Right, I use Photoshop 7.0.1 and OS 10.2.6

I am reluctant to move up to 10.2.8 because everything is working pretty well in 10.2.6 and I have heard some bad reports on 10.2.8

I am not on a network, I transfer files from cds to my laptop, do my magic and then burn them back onto cds or email them out.

vern
R
Ram
Jul 9, 2004
Vernon,

To upgrade or not is entirely your decision, but you do have two inconsistent statements in this thread so far:

I am reluctant to move up to 10.2.8 because everything is working pretty well in 10.2.6

and

I am having the same problem. I run Photoshop 7 on a Mac 17" Titanium in Os 10.2 . I get random blue horizontal lines.
VG
Vernon_Glen_Groff
Jul 9, 2004
Yes, except for the random blue lines in Photo shop which do not always occur, everything else works pretty good. I hate the shake down time that I experience when changing operating systems. I am in the middle of a large catalog and don’t want to add that stress and it’s attendant unknowns to the mix.

Are you using 10.8.2? Do you use Quark 6 and Photo shop and Suitcase? Have any problems?

The Photo shop problem is interrmitent, I first noticed it in January, then it did not occur again until this week. I am doing heavy Photo shop work right now, Perhaps it has something to do with over extending Photo shop somehow. There are many files (300+), ranging from 350k to 400 meg, the originals are from many different manufacturers, so they start from who knows where. I have to pull them from pdfs, Word docs, eps files,tifs and Quicktime and some unknown sources.

I have a Gig of ram and 25 Gigs of free hardrive at the moment.
R
Ram
Jul 9, 2004
Are you using 10.8.2?

You mean 10.2.8. Nope, I’m on Panther 10.3.4. I had nothing but grief with all other versions of OS X, from Cheetah through Puma to the second release of Jaguar. After that one, I had reverted to 9.2.2 until Panther 10.3.3 came out, and I’m on 10.3.4 now.

Yes, I practically live in Photoshop these days.

QuarkXPress is a thing of the past, mercifully. I’ve moved on to InDesign.

The lines in Photoshop can be caused by bad RAM, a faulty video display or a bad OS install (or any one of the crappy versions of Jaguar before 10.2,8 ).

No other application pushes the hardware to its limits as hard as Photoshop.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Jul 9, 2004
The crappy versions of of Jaguar before 10.2.8 had significant flaws, but lines in Photoshop files is not something I’ve EVER seen traced to anything but bad hardware—hard disk, cable, RAM, or CPU…
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 10, 2004
At this point, I think it’s up to our posters with the problems to reread all the advice given here by the rest of the gang, do some sleuthing, and report back.

Neil
CW
c_watts
Jul 13, 2004
No other application pushes the hardware to its limits as hard as Photoshop.

Feh. Obviously you’ve never run Shake.

I would never try to sell Shake as an appropriate tool for editing single frames, but as a tool to apply multiple (tens, hundreds, or thousands of) actions to sequential frames in a repeatable and easily controllable manner you can’t beat Shake.

I had frames in that took 18 minutes each to render at 1828×1556 (albeit in EXR space) The composite tree was too big to fit on 24" Artisan at 10% size. (This means nothing, probably, to a PS user, but just imagine a PS document with 1000 layer groups, each with 4 or 5 layers. Then, imagine all the parameters for each layer (blend mode, masks, layer order, etc) changing over the course of 500 frames or so. That should give you an idea.)

Anyway, Photoshop is, in fact, truly fabulous. It has no equal. But, it’s not alone at the top.

watts
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 13, 2004
Without getting into any spitting matches, no doubt there are other applications that push computers very hard. But, the simultaneous computations required to perform certain filter or rotational operations of a huge Photoshop file can push a computer to its limits. And hard enough to reveal shortcomings (RAM, hard drive, and cabling integrity) that less taxing software won’t. And far more of the folks here have Photoshop installed, than Shake. So perhaps we should say, "No application you have installed is likely to push your computer as hard as Photoshop."

Neil
BR
Bruce_Robinson
Jul 20, 2004
We have the same problem when we rotate an image. I call it artifacting. The wierd thing is it seems to only happen on One machine and if you undo and re rotate the Actifact does not appear in the asme place. I have seen this since Photoshop 6 Mac.
R
Ram
Jul 20, 2004
Bruce,

Are you viewing the images at 100% or at whatever odd resolution results from Photoshop fitting the image in the window once it’s rotated?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
Could there be a problem with the video card in that machine? Check that it is seated properly.

And, does this happen if you rotate in a clockwise manner or only if you go anti-clockwise?

If you are using CS, try installing the two updaters shown at the top of the first page of this Forum.

< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2551> and
< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2559>
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 21, 2004
Bruce – that’s either bad RAM, or a bad CPU.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections