Posted By
markbau
Nov 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just upgraded from PS 7 to CS.

Whenever I open a tiff file now I get a dialog box that says "Pixel aspect ratio correction is
for preview purposes only. Turn it off for maximum image quality"

Then I close the box and the tiff opens all squished up and unuseable. When I go under
IMAGE > PIXEL ASPECT RATIO > SQUARE the images goes back to normal but PS help does
not explain how I turn "pixel aspect correction" off so I don’t have to go through this song
and dance evertime I open a tiff?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
tacitr
Nov 9, 2004
Whenever I open a tiff file now I get a dialog box that says "Pixel aspect
ratio
correction is

What are these TIFFs? Where are they coming from?

You are seeing this dialog because you are opening a TIFF that does not have square pixels. This is quite rare, and only TIFFs from a handful of applications, like FAX software, doesn’t have square pixels.

If the TIFF is coming from a program that *does* use square pixels, then the program creating the TIFF is writing it incorrectly.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
TT
Tom Thomas
Nov 9, 2004
(Tacit) wrote:

You are seeing this dialog because you are opening a TIFF that does not have square pixels. This is quite rare, and only TIFFs from a handful of applications, like FAX software, doesn’t have square pixels.
If the TIFF is coming from a program that *does* use square pixels, then the program creating the TIFF is writing it incorrectly.

Actually, the OP is viewing a normal TIFF, but has the "Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction" turned on in the View menu. This new feature of CS allows people designing images for video production to artificially expand the square pixels into rectangular pixels used by video. It is intended to enable a preview of how your image will look when converted to video format.

To the OP … just shut it off! It’s in the "View" menu, as your User Guide clearly states.
——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
C
Chris
Nov 9, 2004
Well you didn’t answer his question now did you, he wanted to know how to turn it off, not why it comes up on his screen.

I also get this Pixel Aspect problem when I open scans in Large Format Black & White Line Work (Architectural Drawings size A0, A1, B1, etc.)

It’s annoying, and I’d like to turn it off too, seeing how I don’t work on Video or Images from Video.

So if you know how to turn it off, please respond. Please don’t post telling us we are scanning or opening pics that aren’t square pixels…DUH! We know that….

Thank you guys and gals!

Chris

"Tacit" wrote in message
Whenever I open a tiff file now I get a dialog box that says "Pixel
aspect
ratio
correction is

You are seeing this dialog because you are opening a TIFF that does not
have
square pixels. This is quite rare, and only TIFFs from a handful of applications, like FAX software, doesn’t have square pixels.
If the TIFF is coming from a program that *does* use square pixels, then
the
program creating the TIFF is writing it incorrectly.

T
tacitr
Nov 9, 2004
So if you know how to turn it off, please respond. Please don’t post telling us we are scanning or opening pics that aren’t square pixels…DUH! We know that….

With no files open, go to the View menu and turn it off.

If you open files with non-square pixels, the prompt will still appear.

M
markbau
Nov 10, 2004
Tom Thomas wrote in message news:> To the OP … just shut it off! It’s in the "View" menu, as your User
Guide clearly states.

It is in my VIEW menu, problem is that its greyed out so i can’t turn it off.

Mark
M
markbau
Nov 10, 2004
(Tacit) wrote in message news:…

With no files open, go to the View menu and turn it off.
If you open files with non-square pixels, the prompt will still appear.

Doesn’t work, you can only turn it off with an image open. With no image open the option to turn it off is greyed out in the menu.

This is an extremely annoying little "addition" to CS. Considering there is hardly anything new in CS I don’t know why I bothered upgrading. The big selling point of CS, shadow/highlight adjustment, is just for people that don’t want to learn curves.

BTW, these are regular old bitmapped tiffs.
AM
Andrew Morton
Nov 10, 2004
Bauie wrote:
BTW, these are regular old bitmapped tiffs.

If you’re using Windows2000 (/XP?), right-click a tiff and check its properties->summary to make sure the horizontal and vertical resolutions really are the same. If so, how about resetting Photoshop’s preferences (ctrl+alt+shift just as PS starts up)?

Andrew

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections