NC
Posted By
Nick_Cherry
Jul 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How can I convert individual layers to black and white as opposed to the entire image. I have several color pictures and I am making a callage (sp?). I will probably want to adjust the brightness/contrast of individual pictures, but the only way I can figure out how to convert them to black and white is if it merges all the layers together.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 5, 2004
Try Image>Adjustments> Desaturate or Channel Mixer.
DF
Dan_Forzano
Jul 6, 2004
Channel Mixer is your best bet, as you can be very selective about the data you use to create the Grayscale image from the color channels, where as desaturate gives you flat RGB channeles to make gray, which won’t have great tonality. Use Layer Sets to isolate the effect to just the layers you want.
GB
g_ballard
Jul 7, 2004
Nick, try Russel Brown’s "Seeing in Black & White" tutorial

<http://www.russellbrown.com/>

Click on More Tips

If this movie takes ya all night to download it will be worth it…
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Jul 7, 2004
G

I agree that Russel’s tutorials are great.

I’ve also found that it helps to sit on the floor cross-legged looking up at my monitor while viewing them. <g>
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jul 7, 2004
Remember to option-click the line at the bottom of the adjustment layer so that it just effects the particular layer you wish to turn to greyscale. I agree with the channel mixer being the best of the colour to greyscale options.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections