MW
Posted By
Michael_Walton
Jun 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi – hope someone can tell me how to do this…

<http://www.loc.gov/vets>

please look at the image where the flag blends into white. i know that you can blend things with layers and their opacity control. but i would like to learn how its done like the above sample.

any help is appreciated. thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

H
Ho
Jun 13, 2005
Use a layer mask on the flag layer with a black to white gradient fill; the layer under the flag should be filled with white.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 13, 2005
Find the icon on the Layer Palette that says ‘create new fill or adjustment layer’. Click it and select Gradient. Modify gradient.
MW
Michael_Walton
Jun 13, 2005
ok i got those two. but now what i really need to do is have two photos on separate layers. then have the top layer photo be gradually blended into the bottom one.

any ideas on that?
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 13, 2005
Its in the FAQ, and also in the help documentation;

Mathias Vejerslev, "How to make a gradual opacity fade on a layer" #, 30 Apr 2003 10:19 am </cgi-bin/webx?50>

Mathias
MW
Michael_Walton
Jun 13, 2005
ok i followed that tutorial from above precisely. i put an image on two different layers. i went to the top layer, put on it a layer mask, selected the layer mask, drew a black to white gradient on it, and the only thing that happened is it makes the TOP layer [the one with the layer mask] look like it fades from top to bottom.

however, the image below it does NOT show through the mask. the top layer is still opaque.

please advise.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 13, 2005
i put an image on two different layers

A different image or the same image?
MW
Michael_Walton
Jun 13, 2005
yes, two different images. i’ll try to tell you exactly what i’m doing and see if you can figure out why it doesnt work.

open up image [female]. this is on layer 1.
paste in second image [male]. this is on layer 2 on top of 1.

highlight layer two, then click on the add layer mask button in the layers palette. the mask window appears next to the thumbnail image of layer 2. the lock icon appears between them to show that mask is locked to the layer.

click on the layer mask thumbnail of layer 2 to highlight it.

draw a white to black gradient across the screen. nothing happens.

please advise. PS i’m using PS CS version 8
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 13, 2005
Check the blending mode of the gradient tool.. Should be normal. Thats the only thing I can think of.
HA
HenryP_Adams
Jun 13, 2005
The first two answers were correct for your flag question.

On your blending question with two images: A very interesting naming scheme you have devised. Do you have the the female layer hidden? Are you sure that you have the layer MASK selected? Are you drawing your gradient across the entire screen (both layers) or just across all or part of the male layer? One of these questions should work out to providing the solution to your problem.
MW
Michael_Walton
Jun 13, 2005
ok it works now. i had to change gradient to normal.

thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections