LH
Posted By
Linda_Hirsch
Jun 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Have an image made from 35 mm camera, full frame. Macro of some faces, so need whole thing. Yet also need to crop it to 8×10. Possible?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BL
Bob Levine
Jun 13, 2005
Of course not. The aspect ratio is completely different. You’ll need to crop it.

Bob
J
Jim
Jun 13, 2005
wrote in message
Have an image made from 35 mm camera, full frame. Macro of some faces, so
need whole thing. Yet also need to crop it to 8×10. Possible? No, if you want the whole frame on 8×10 paper. Yes, if you want the whole frame on 11×17 paper or 8×12 paper.
Jim
G
goodidea1950SPAM-SPAM
Jun 13, 2005
wrote in message
: Have an image made from 35 mm camera, full frame. Macro of some faces, so need whole thing. Yet also need to crop it to 8×10. Possible?

What does macro of some faces mean?
You can usually create a border around the
side that comes up less than the 8 x 10 border
by cloning the sides or doing something else
creative but I think the other guys are right
about you not being able to change the aspect
ratio without distorting the picture.
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Jun 13, 2005
thanks Robert:
I guess what I was wondering if, maybe there is some technique of free transform or something — oh, and then could could add canvas with white borders too.
O
Ol__Whozit
Jun 13, 2005
Change your canvas size to 8×10, colored whatever you have selected as your background color, and then use the Free Transform tool to resize your image on its own layer by holding the shift key as you drag out a corner as desired. You may need to reduce the size of the image in the window with the Navigator before you resize with the Free Transform tool.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jun 13, 2005
I was wondering if, maybe there is some technique of free transform or something

There is – Ctrl-T (Transform). But the changing the width to height ratio (aspect ratio) will cause distortion in the image. The only way to avoid that is to crop the image – cut some off.

Using OW’s method, holding the control key down is pivotal in assuring the aspect ratio is maintained.

You could just start with an 8 x 10 canvas and drag your image onto it. Line it up the way you like, and optionally crop with Select|All, Image|Crop. You don’t have to crop – the portions of the image that don’t show will still be in tact if you want to change it later.
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Jun 13, 2005
I dealt with it by making the image bit smaller than 8×10 and then a white canvass 8×10, but I wanted to try the other techniques here, but for some reason free transform is grayed out.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 13, 2005
Your image is a background image. Convert it to a normal layer by double clicking on the layer. Then you’ll be able to use free transform. Make sure you save it as a separate file from the original image.
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Jun 13, 2005
One trick that has worked for me in the past is to either fill the space outside the image with a color that compliments the background, or use the Clone tool to create an extention of the top and/or bottom of the image (such as people in front of a stage curtain, just make the curtain higher to fill the space). Or select the top of the image where the curtain is, and Free Trtansform just that part to make it taller.

Kind of dorky, but it works.
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Jun 14, 2005
thanks, good.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections