FM
Posted By
fred_martin
Jun 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I frequently get a message saying my scratch discs are full. Anybody know how to empty a scratch disc so I can get on with my life?

please.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LRK
Jun 25, 2004
Fred: I would say you need to back up some files and make more room on your drive.
FM
fred_martin
Jun 25, 2004
Ok, but is that what it means by my "scratch disc"? I keep everything on my server so my machine is relatively document free. I was beginning to think that the scratch disc is some setting within adobe. yes? no?
L
LRK
Jun 25, 2004
In the Photoshop preferences you can select a hard drive or partition as a scratch disk. Is that what you have done? How large is it? How much free space is on it? The next question is how large are the files you are using?
L
LRK
Jun 25, 2004
I have a dedicated partition, the first partition on my second hard drive that I use for a my first scratch disk. Mine is 12GB.
FM
fred_martin
Jun 25, 2004
I’ll check and get back to you. You’ve got me thinking.
L
LRK
Jun 25, 2004
Okay
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 25, 2004
The advantage of a whole partition (ideally on a physical drive other than the main drive) as a scratch disk is that you can fully erase the partition every so often to avoid fragmentation.
R
Ram
Jun 25, 2004
Fred,

I keep everything on my server so my machine is relatively document free.

On the off chance it applies to you, here’s a tip:

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, cease and desist immediately. That’s a BIG no-no.

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local HD, work on it, save it again to your HD, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

See:

Neil Keller "Issues When Working from Networks or Removable Media" 3/23/03 11:02am <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de84efb/0>

and:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections