RB
Posted By
Richard_Benish
Jun 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I often use paths that go right to the edge of or BEYOND the Canvas area of an image. I sometimes need to edit bezier points at or beyond the Canvas area; and I sometimes need to transform the path by grabbing a transform box corner, bezier node or handle at the edge of or beyond the Canvas area.

I would find it extremely useful to be able to zoom into such a path, point, handle or transform box (beyond the image area) while keeping only a portion of the image area in view. I mean having a magnified view of only a portion of the canvas while at the same time having a magnified view of a portion of the gray area surrounding the image so that I can have precise editing capabilities near the edge.

As it is (or as I think it is) one cannot access any part of a path beyond the image area unless one is zoomed out so far that the whole image is in view–which makes precise editing difficult if not impossible. Surely someone else out there must wish Photoshop had this capability. Hello?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 20, 2004
You don’t mention which version you have but doesn’t CS give you exactly what you are asking for?

Use Full Screen mode and you can then zoom in as far as you like AND move the image around in the "apron". That lets you select points on paths which extend beyond the image.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 20, 2004
This is such a cool feature that I work in it almost all the time now. Here’s a tip, if you want to minimize the window to the dock but can’t because the title bar is gone Command-Control-M will do it. When you restore you will stil be in full screen mode.
RB
Richard_Benish
Jun 20, 2004
At home (where I am now) I have Photoshop 7, which does not satisfy this desire of mine. At work we just upgraded to CS and I evidently have not yet discovered "Full Screen Mode." Now I am anxious to get back to work so that I can zoom into The Gray Beyond to my heart’s content. Thanks a bunch.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 20, 2004
As a workaround make a larger canvas as needed and drag some guides to show the true final canvas size. Then crop the canvas size when the job is complete.
RB
Richard_Benish
Jun 21, 2004
Thanks for the workaround idea. It’s one I’ve thought of, but usually rule out as impractical because the file size quickly becomes rather huge. I design lots of bus displays where the image fills the whole side of a 40 foot bus and gets produced on a large format printer. Even with a low resolution (36dpi) a layered Photoshop file can approach or exceed 1Gb.

Anyhow, if the new "Full Screen Mode" in CS works as indicated by the above replies, that will solve the problem.
SM
sam_m_brown
Jun 22, 2004
Also Image can be kept off the canvas area if canvas size is used instead of crop, or if image is pasted in from a larger canvas – I’m still on 7, is there anyway to see this ‘extra image’ in CS?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 22, 2004
An image can extend beyond the visible "Canvas" in CS.

You can reposition or transform the image so that an area which extends into the apron (beyond the canvas) is brought into the visible area.
SM
sam_m_brown
Jul 20, 2004
Thanks Ann – this was the same as in 7. Would like to be able to see that image that is off canvas sometimes, similar to the way you can objects off the Illy page. – even if it was ghosted or something.

Not a biggie but as the data is there would be good to be able to see how much is there sometimes.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2004
big data feature has been requested over and over.

not sure if it can be done at this point.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections