Area surrounding canvas is red, it’s supposed to be gray.

JE
Posted By
Joan_Erleewine
May 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop V.8 Macintosh OS 10.2.8. This behavior just started today. Old documents and /or new documents. The pale gray area that surrounds the images or canvas when using "Full Screen Mode With Menu Bar" is now bright red instead of gray. It’s disturbing and distracting and I don’t know how to fix it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 16, 2004
Set your foreground color to a mid-gray 128R, 128G, 128B; Select the Paint bucket and Shift-click on the currently-red canvas-surround. That should fix it.
JE
Joan_Erleewine
May 16, 2004
Whew. Thank you. Excellent!-Joan
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 17, 2004
I thought the default was 192.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 17, 2004
Equal numbers with density — and salt — to taste.
P
Phosphor
May 27, 2004
192 ÷ 256 = 0.75

Default gray, as far as I understand it.

50% gray has long been considered too light.

What do I know? …ask the Zone System people.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
??????

192 is lighter than 128 (50% gray) — or it is on my machine ……
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 27, 2004
Ann you are correct. Higher numbers equla lighter. But the default apron color is 192,192,192 as far as I can tell.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
I believe that you are right, but the user can set it to any shade that suits them.
P
Phosphor
May 27, 2004
Sorry…put my brain in upside-down after I got up this morning.

Still…192 it is.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections