Can paths also rotate/resize when a layer is altered?

JR
Posted By
Jonathan_Riddle
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I have a many layered Photoshop document with several paths that apply to particular layers. If I rotate/resize a layer – how do I also make sure that any paths that relate to that layer also get altered in the same way and at the same time?

Vector paths sort of work but are a little limiting.

Thanks in advance.

Photoshop v7 Mac OS 9.2.2

Jonathan

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 17, 2004
Transform the Layer; then select the Path and choose "Transform Again" (Cmd. Shift T).
JR
Jonathan_Riddle
Jun 18, 2004
Hi Ann,

Thanks for the reply and this works fine when I transform a layer but, unfortunately, if I just move the layer around with the move tool there seems no way to apply the same movement to a path.

Jonathan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 18, 2004
In that case, you should probably make a linked Layer Vector Mask from your Path before using the hand tool to move the layer around.

[With Path selected, Cmd. click new mask icon in the Layers palette.]
JR
Jonathan_Riddle
Jun 23, 2004
Hi Ann,

Using a linked vector mask is the way I am doing it – it seems a little long winded but it does work. I just read another post on not being able to use the Transform tool whilst a path is visible – with only being able to alter the path being visible.

Photoshop is a wonderful piece of software but it does seem to fall a little on the details.

Thanks for the responses.

Jonathan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 23, 2004
I am glad that it worked for you — but it isn’t in the least "long-winded"!

Vector masks are very quickly, and easily, made by having the path selected and Cmd. clicking the Layer Mask icon in the layers palette: one keystroke and you are done!
DK
Doug_Katz
Jun 24, 2004
I’m with her.
JR
Jonathan_Riddle
Jun 24, 2004
ah – but you see – I only just learnt about them from your previous very helpful reply – so they seemed long winded because I didn’t know the short cut! It may also have seemed long winded because I was using shape layers and not vector masks!

All is well with the world now and the help is very much appreciated – thanks.

Jonathan
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 24, 2004
You can however be able to rotate the contents of the layer, and NOT the shape of the vector mask, if you remove the chain icon (by clicking on it)between the layer and its vector mask…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections