B
Posted By
BJLantz
Oct 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Feb. 06 Jensen Perez posted that he used to be able to transform a layer while having a path layer turned on. But that now (I am assuming after upgrading to CS2 as I just have), when he tries to do a transform, whether by Command-T or going to the menu, it transform the path instead, not the layer.

I am having the same problem and am very frustrated. Cybernetic Nomad answered Jensen Perez to hiide the path, do the transform and then reveal the path. I figured out that much, however, I often would like to be able to see the path while I am transforming – I use paths as templates very often and it is helpful to see them.

Has anyone figured out if there is actually a setting that fixes this??? Any insight would be helpful to get me back up to my working speed! Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CB
charles badland
Oct 20, 2006
Hide the path, activate transform, reveal the path, then transform. (Re-read Cybernetic Nomad’s original answer- he had it right.)
B
BJLantz
Oct 20, 2006
Thanks, Charles. Yeah, I got that much; I was just hoping there was a way to go back to the way it was – one key stroke instead of three… My aching hands, wrists, arms… πŸ™‚
CB
charles badland
Oct 20, 2006
Yeah.
I think the Cmd+H, Cmd+T, Cmd+H then Transform is the shortest keyboard method to see the path while transforming something else.
B
Bernie
Oct 20, 2006
You can create an action (using insert menu item) and assign an F-key to it
P
progress
Oct 21, 2006
its a royal pain in the neck, and i’m stumped to find a way around it.

yet another example of something botched that it seems wont be fixed for some unknown reason even though it reduces functionality with no advantage.

wandered into illustrator CS2 the other day…considering i used to spend about 12 hours a day in the app around v5, i’d have a coronary with the bumblings in that app.

just what is going wrong at adobe these days?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 22, 2006
Some may just see it as progress Β…?

πŸ˜‰
P
progress
Oct 22, 2006
πŸ˜‰

i’d love to know what glasses their wearing then πŸ˜€
B
BJLantz
Oct 23, 2006
Thanks, Cybernetic Nomad, for the action tip – I learned something new!

And, Progress, I agree, it is hard every time a program is updated – sometimes it is almost like having to learn it all over again. I find time and time again that they change things that I was once very productive with to something I either can’t use any more or it is just a little hard now (like 3 key strokes instead of 1, as was the case here…)

However, I must say, that I love the Warp tool (how did I live without that?) and the fact that you can now put layer sets inside layer sets and move selected layers all at once within the layers palette… I’ll look forward to finding even more new nifty things – and probably a few more frustrating changes… and so it goes…

I work for myself and am virtually isolated – when I worked in an environment with a few other artists, we all traded "Look what I figured out", etc. Now I don’t have that as much and makes learning a little slower πŸ™‚ I know I could spend time on the forums and learn all kinds of stuff, but it is a time issue… isn’t everything?

Thanks so much to all who replied – BJL

Thanks to all
M
merge
Oct 24, 2006
…. but can we use the Transform tool on both the Layer and the Path at the same time? I haven’t been working with paths much since apps started taking psd files, but I swear we used to be able to do that, though I can’t seem to sort it out now…
B
Bernie
Oct 24, 2006
Current workaround: do the transform on the image as described in previous posts. Then do a transform again on the path.
M
merge
Oct 24, 2006
Another good reason not to deal with paths anymore – thanks for confirming my worst fears though…
B
BJLantz
Oct 24, 2006
Yeah, but paths still seem to be the cleanest-edge selection method. And terrific templates. I often draw things in Illustrator quickly with paths then copy/paste into Photoshop to use as a template for the illustration or design – I’d be lost without them.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 24, 2006
"Transform Again" replicates the previous transform that you did EXACTLY.

Transform the Image; then run Transform Again on the Path.
P
progress
Oct 25, 2006
argghh…we want the path to stay where it is…not be transformed at all.

the repeat transform only works (if your interested) when the path occupies the same area as the selection, otherwise the centre point is different, leading to a different point.

anyway, the idea is to use paths (like we used to)as guides because they can describe far more complex shapes (like packaging artwork) than anything else to a finer degree (being res independent)…so we’d like them to stay where we left them when we use the tranform tool…like it did 3 versions ago!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections