MV
Posted By
Marv_Vikla
Nov 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I scan lots of images and need the efficiency of scanning directly to the application with settings other than the default. However, when I try to set up my HP ScanJet 3570c to send the image to Elements it is not in the "Destination" drop down list as a software choice. I tried the import function in Elements. It pulls in the image from the scanner using the scanner software but I can’t find a way for it to save the settings for the next scan. Does anyone know of a way to make this work short of sending it to a file first?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 30, 2003
It may be necessary for you to modify your work flow. I have an older model HP scanner. And I have had difficulty getting it to work with numerous software programs besides Elements. I have resorted to scanning and saving all of my photographs with the Precision Scan software that came with my scanner, and then I simply open those scanned photographs in Elements.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 30, 2003
Jim, that’s kinda what I do, too, except I’m using an Epson scanner. Tedious….but reliable.

🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 30, 2003
You guys are scarin’ me. My ancient Umax works beautifully with Elements. I can just see it now: I finally replace it and everything quits working! 🙂
JF
Jodi Frye
Dec 1, 2003
Beth, I bought the Canon Photo scanner. It never gave me any problems. It can be used from all my programs that are graphic related and i didn’t do anything to make that happen…it just installed that way…but I’m running XP 😉
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 1, 2003
Yeh, well, you just watch. The one I pick won’t! 🙂 I’ll spend months making my decision and choose the only one that isn’t compatible. I can do that, you know; I’m very talented like that.
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 1, 2003
I’m sorry, but I don’t see what the big deal is. Instead of scanning one photograph at a time and working on it, I just open my scanning software that came with the scanner and do all of my scanning at once. Then, I go into my Elements and spend my time doing the editing. I guess it’s kind of slick to have Elements start the scanner, do the scanning and then return you to Elements, but some scanners just don’t work that way. If that type of automation is critical to your success in scanning, then I would probably recommend that you stay away from HP scanners. But I have had such tremendous success with mine that I really don’t mind not having all of the automation work exactly the way I expect it to. If I can get the job done, which I usually do, that is what concerns me the most.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending HP scanners, nor am I saying that my workflow is a model for you to follow. I don’t want to get into any of those kind of debates. If it is a critical issue that Elements has the ability of calling your scanner, then I would do some research before making a new purchase.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 1, 2003
Jim, while I’m sure you were making a general suggestion and not merely referring to my post, I had to laugh when you suggested doing some research. I can – and usually do – research any subject to death! I would have had a new scanner years ago if I didn’t feel the need to be so "informed". There’s a downside to research for us obsessive-compulsive types. However we do wind up saving a lot of money because we have so much trouble making a decision that we don’t ever get around to buying very much. 🙂
JF
Jodi Frye
Dec 1, 2003
Beth, that was great 😉
LD
Lynn_D._Green
Dec 1, 2003
Hi Beth……….

Had to laugh when I read your post because it sounds so familiar……..

I do the same thing…research things to death, then buy………nothing!!!……..although when it came time to buy a scanner I could use for slides, I ended up buying both an HP 4570 (I think) and an Epson 2400(making sure of the return policies)…..brought them both home, hooked them both up, did the type of scanning I wanted to do, compared them 6 ways from Sunday and returned the HP……..the Epson had better color and was a little less complicated to use……but both would let me scan from Elements. I was prepared to like the Hp better as I had one before, but the Epson was slightly better overall…..

Lynn

Had to laugh at your
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 1, 2003
Beth, funny!
MV
Marv_Vikla
Dec 4, 2003
My advice is beware the hardware and software companies that say they are compatible. You need to see specifically how they work together. In this case they do work together, just not as efficiently as they should given their capabilities with other software.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections