NP
Posted By
Navarro_Parker
Jun 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone have some usage tips with the fantastic new Shadow/Highlight adjustment in Photoshop CS?

When should I use it as opposed to my old school method of bringing out shadow details by boosting the gamma via Levels/Curves?

I notice that if Shadow/Highlight is used too much, images get that odd high-pass "photocopy" look.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Conrad_Chavez
Jun 3, 2004
The most basic answer is that gamma only lets you control one thing, the midtone value, and changing this drags a lot of other values up or down. You can’t boost the shadow without boosting other tones you might not want to boost. Shadow/Highlight doesn’t have this limitation.

Now I’m going to write out my impressions of Shadow/Highlight here partly so I can see if my understanding of this feature needs to be corrected!

Shadow/Highlight lets you boost shadows or drop highlights independently, leaving the other ranges untouched. It’s as if you applied multiple Curves or Levels adjustment layers, one to boost shadows, another to cut highlights, and another to control midtone contrast, and carefully masked each layer to protect the other tonal ranges. That’s a vast oversimplification of what I think is going on. They key idea is that the complex processing applied through S/H does cannot be duplicated with a single Curves/Levels tweak, so you can’t really compare it to that.

The Midtone contrast, as I understand it, doesn’t move the midtone up or down (as gamma would); it’s like adding a couple of control points close to either side of the midtone of a curve to steepen the curve there.

Tonal Width and Radius are tricky to understand but I think they’re actually similar in principle. Radius is spatial, like the width of a blur on a mask on either side of a mask edge. Tonal Width is like a tonal radius, the range of the tones affected on either side of the control.

You can probably figure out by now why overusing S/H makes it look weird. If you boost shadows and cut highlights too much, and you have these mask edges going on, tones start to cross over and you get that solarization effect. So far I’ve had success by making only teeny tiny adjustments in S/H.

The quailty of the image seems to be critical. S/H probably works best with very clean (noise-free) full range images, like those from today’s scanners or good digital cameras. Otherwise, applying S/H just accentuates the defects in the image, like making Curves or Levels moves that are too large.

I like to use it because, while I could do most of what it it does, it would take me a lot longer with a bigger stack of layers and masks. Shadow/Highlight is pretty smart.
L
lbp
Aug 19, 2004
Help… i have a photo that i think shadow/highlight would fix in no time flat… the problem is that when i have the dialog box open… i can’t see any improvements-even if i go from one extreme to the other (yes i made sure- triple sure- that the preview box was checked- i wouldn’t want to post and then look like an idiot)…. even if i have had a bad day today. There is detail in the shadows and in the highlights (nothing is completely blown out).

This is the first time i really have used the shadow/highlight adjustment so i just don’t get it.

Please help me

Larissa
CC
Conrad_Chavez
Aug 19, 2004
No controls have any effect when you yank them from end to end? Even Midtone Contrast?

The only thing I can think of–and I’m almost afraid to mention it because it sounds like you know what you are doing–is that the image layer isn’t selected, but another layer or a mask is selected?
L
lbp
Aug 19, 2004
Conrad- as silly as it seems, you were right. I’ve had an extremely bad sleep deprived week and momentarily turned into a babbling idiot.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections