New CS Adjustment Shadow/Highlight – Why not New Adjustment Layer?

CE
Posted By
Chess_Edwards
Apr 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It seems that the new image adjustment Shadow/Highlight is a great addition. But why is it not offered as a "New Adjustment Layer"? This would make it possible to decide later on while editing if I wanted to change a setting or remove the adjustment altogether.

Am I missing something here? Is there another way to work with such an adjustment and make it editable at a later date? I tried copying or duplicating the background layer, but then I cannot use tools like the clone or healer on the original layer. So, if I do decide to remove the duplicated background layer (to which I apply the Shadow/Highlight adjustment) then I lose the effects created by helaing and cloning tools and the like.

Looking for help. thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 26, 2004
Because, as already explained — Shadow/Highlight does things that aren’t allowed in adjustment layers. It’s just too complicated to be an adjustment layer.
CE
Chess_Edwards
Apr 26, 2004
That’s good to know. is there any way to make this adjustment editable at a later date?
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 27, 2004
History brush! Take a snap shot!
CE
Chess_Edwards
Apr 27, 2004
Thanks, but that is a method that I am unfamiliar with – Neither History Brush or snapshot. Can you describe? Appreciated.
H
Hexebah
Apr 27, 2004
Chess – Duplicate the layer and apply the S/H adjustment to the copy. Now you have the option of lowering the adjusted layer’s opacity to reduce the effect. You can also use a mask on the adjusted layer to remove/reduce areas of the effect that are not wanted. You also have the option of changing this adjusted layers Mode which is handy.

Chip
CE
Chess_Edwards
Apr 27, 2004
Yes, but when I duplicate the background layer, then all other effectsare then also applied to that layer (not the original background layer), so I can not delete the duplicated layer later if I decide that I either no longer want the shadow/highlight effect or if I want to modify the effect.

Is there any way to basically end up with a single layer that only has the Shadow/Highlight effect applied and all other subsequent effects applied to the original background layer?

Thanks
P
PShock
Apr 27, 2004
If you want the option of non-distructively removing it later, you’ll have to make your other modfications first and then apply S/H on a duplicated layer. It’d just have to be one of the latter steps. No other way around it that I can see.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 27, 2004
It’s just too complicated to be an adjustment layer.

Um,

I need it fixed Chris.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 28, 2004
The history palette records a certain number of operations and maintains a record of the document to the point that the state of the document has then ben reached.

There is a history brush in the tool bar if you select the history brush and choose a brush size or custom brush from the brush palette and you select the state in the history before applying the Shadow and highlights Adjustment then you can use the history brush to paint the areas of the document you want to revert to the previous state. You might find this very powerful. Not just for this and the History palette allows you to take a snap shot of any state of the document along the way that you might want to revert back to in total or in part.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 1, 2004
Um,

Ain’t gonna happen Mike.

Adjustment layers have some limits, and Shadow&Highlight doesn’t fit those limits.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 1, 2004
Yes, I know that.

but, but , but….

I know the limitations of some adjustment tools, so we need to think about how to implement those kinds of tools in a non linear fashion.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 3, 2004
Ok,

I got it.

Since non color adjustment layers, are in essence filters and can not be applied in a layer fashion, the solution would be to render the changes out to a duplicated layer of the composited image, OR just the active layer.

People are duplicating a layer of an image anyways when filters are ran so that the user can always go back to the original.

Bruce, and Jeff’s Pixel genius sharpen filter behaves as such.

This is my solution to non-linear color adjustments for a Prebinding workflow.

Done deal.

breakage solved.

The cult of personality…….
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 3, 2004
I exploite you!

yet…… you still love me…..

just stop……… and ……watch …….T….V……!

the cult of personality…

the cult of personality…

the cilt of per-son-nal-ity……..
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 3, 2004
Mike,

I thinks it’s time for your meds!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 3, 2004
got meds?

I don’t know Ian.

I feel just fine here or there or anywhere you can fathom.

Drugs just dull the pain.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections