WG
Posted By
windsor_green
Feb 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
why didn’t Adobe put shadow / highlights adjustments as an adjustment layer. Can you think of any way to use the adjustment as an adjustment layer, without copying the background and adjusting the copy?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
JasonSmith
Feb 16, 2004
I’ve already asked this question, and requested as a feature request.

Adobe’s explaination is that it is a plug-in, not an adjustment and would be just about impossible to have as an adjustment layer.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 17, 2004
No, the explanation is that Shadow/Highlight does things that adjustment layers are not allowed to do.
BG
barry_gray
Feb 17, 2004
Chris,
Elaborate, maybe?
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 17, 2004
Adjustment layers work on each pixel by itself – they can’t do operations on areas like filters can. Shadow&Highlight does operations like a filter.
BG
barry_gray
Feb 17, 2004
So we’ll never see a USM adjustment layer with the resulting masking flexibility?
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 17, 2004
barry – correct.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 17, 2004
I’m still waiting for my proof set-up palette and a tweener……..

I placed my order today and am waiting for it in the mail.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 17, 2004
You can always use the History Brush to "brush" in USM, Shadow&Highlight, or any other filter.
Do this on a spare "merged" Layer so that you can ditch it, redo it, or change the layer-mode or opacity at any time.
BG
barry_gray
Feb 17, 2004
I know Ann, been there doin’ that as well as a # of other work arounds, I just hate "can’t/won’t happen".
After all we all know better.
If "we" can think of it, it can be done. Just a matter of incentive. I be feeling fiesty tonight.
BTW- I learned every thing I know about the H. Bush from you here on this forum, well almost!
C
crayola
Feb 17, 2004
Barry,

What you are asking for breaks the laws and logic of layer adjustments.

BTW

ain’t gonna happen.
BG
barry_gray
Feb 17, 2004
Damn you you Mo! You’ve been trying to break the "laws" for as long as I’ve known of you! Sure the great ain’t gonna roll over now!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 17, 2004
Sorry,

I didn’t write that law and considering that Adobe ain’t going to change those laws, it shall be a fruitless request.

so……..

we work within limits when we pound on tables.

ow.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 17, 2004
Adaptive corrections won’t find there way into layer adjustments in Photoshop.

but…………

oh nevermind.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 18, 2004
OK, my bad – Shadow Highlights is a filter

Image>adjust>Variations is a plug in.
L
Larryr544
Feb 18, 2004
So duplicate your layer and use a mask on the top layer and you have it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections