J
Posted By
J._Kennedy
May 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi! I recently upgrade from PS 6 to PS 7. Is there a way to import all my saved Actions from PS 6 into PS 7? Thanks!

Julie

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

VL
Venicia_L_2
May 30, 2004
Julie,

From the Actions tab in PS 7, click on the little right-facing triangle, then select "Load." Navigate to the saved action set and select it.

VL
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 30, 2004
If you copy them to the Photoshop Actions folder in your Presets folder they will appear on the dropdpwn menu next time you start up Photoshop, which makes for easy loading.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 30, 2004
You could also copy the actions preferences file from your PS6 to PS7 folder
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 30, 2004
Copying the prefrences file makes me nervous. If you crash or trash prefs you could lose the actions. I’d rather save them.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 30, 2004
I only talk about the actions preferences, not the "full" preferences files. Of course, you can do back-ups… copy was rather a style figure…
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 30, 2004
I understand that but I don’t believe that the Actions Preferences file is the same as actually saving the files.
J
J._Kennedy
Jun 1, 2004
That worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

Julie
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 1, 2004
Good, but what way did you do it?

Ed, look at this Uber-mega tutorial about actions, it explains the procedure (and everything that you ever wondered about actions, but where afraid to ask): <http://www.atncentral.com/installing.htm>
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 1, 2004
Pierre,

I understand it completely; I just feel safer actually saving the actions. Maybe I’m just old-fashioned.

Plus, I feel it’s morte versatile for e-mailing or sharing actions (which I do often). And I don’t usually have all the actions on my hard drive loaded into the palette all the time. I like to keep the palette uncluttered and that’s easier to do with the actions saved IMHO.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 1, 2004
Indeed, Ed, I wouldn’t suggest to do this for the examples you gave, but to do a back-up of your loaded actions, it’s the fastest way I know of…
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 1, 2004
By the way, that’s good information in that tutorial, but I wish it could be a searchable PDF instead of a Word document.
R
Ram
Jun 1, 2004
Ed,

I’m confused. I find Word documents infinitely faster and easier to search than PDF files. What am I missing here?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 1, 2004
Hmm. Maybe it’s just what I’m used to. I rarely use Word on my PC and didn’t even have it on my Mac at work until about a month ago. PDF seems to be the preferred format for these kinds of things in my experience.

And maybe it’s just an aversion to Microsoft products.
R
Ram
Jun 1, 2004
PDFs are a slug when it comes to searching. One more reason why I hate them.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 1, 2004
Regarding Pierre’s Link:

Does anyone remember the shortcut for rending white-on-black text as Black-on-White in a Safari window?

[WHY do people insist on creating that kind of website anyway……Grrrrr……]
R
Ram
Jun 2, 2004

[WHY do people insist on creating that kind of website anyway……Grrrrr……]

Sheer ignorance.
R
Ram
Jun 2, 2004
Ann,

Does anyone remember the shortcut for rending white-on-black text as Black-on-White in a Safari window?

Control+Option+Command+8

Works on any Window in OS X, regardless of the application.

Actually, it works on the entire monitor in OS X, not just a window.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 2, 2004
Thank you! I must have hit on every combination but somehow missed that one.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 2, 2004
Ann,

"WHY do people insist on creating that kind of website anyway"

It’s very common on "Photography" websites of all kinds. Somehow, photographers feel that a black background symbolizes a "photographic theme."

It just drives me insane to deal with these sites. And some of them actually have dark gray text, rather than white!

Anyone who has any kind of background in graphic design and the presentation of material for human readability knows that dark text on a light background is vastly more readable than the inverse. It is very dramatic, in small doses, to have light text on a dark background. But not for body copy and not for extensive text spreads.

It does absolutely no good to try and tell designers of such sites that the design is unreadable. And sadly, many, many people with such (non)design backgrounds eventually become involved in print design, bringing their atrocious design tastes with them.

VL
R
Ram
Jun 2, 2004
The Luminous Landscape comes to mind.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 2, 2004
Ramon,

Yes. Design doesn’t get much worse than the example on that site.

Usually that kind of ignorance of design comes from engineers who have developed a product and insist they know what the printed page should look like advertising their work. I’ve had the misfortune to be involved in such projects.

It’s surprising that photography sites should suffer from this kind of thing. I guess that ability to design a photograph cannot be expected to extend to other needs of graphic presentation.

VL
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Jun 2, 2004
Ramon

An alternative to searching PDF documents is to drop the PDF onto your Preview app and do a find.

Virtually instantaneous results in a list and the item is contextualized within its surrounding text.
R
Ram
Jun 2, 2004
Thanks for the tip, Roland.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections