WG
Posted By
Welles_Goodrich
May 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A friend sent me a TIFF which she couldn’t open. Photoshop opened it up with a warning dialog which read "Pixel aspect ratio correction is for preview purposes only. Turn it off for maximum image quality." The image was a ‘simple’ black and white line drawing of a map to a rural home. The image mode was (Bitmap)[scaled]. It was scaled 100% vertically but only 50% horizontally 8.5 x 11 @ 300dpi for printing. Experimentation proved that Image > Pixel Aspect Ratio > Square returned the image to normal although it had been received with a Custom Pixel Aspect Ratio. I changed it to a Grayscale image and printed it just fine.

I can’t believe that the people who sent that image intended it to be so strange and I wondered if anyone would have any idea why a TIFF should come with such strange aspects?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 28, 2004
sleeping while driving?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 28, 2004
Maybe it was the kind of tiff format that is in common use for fax machines. Sure it wasn’t multi-page?
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 28, 2004
Ed,

That’s a good idea. The image forwarded to me was a single TIFF so I’m not sure how to ascertain if it had been multi-page originally. My friend just passed along the file. Just now I looked at the file with Get Info and see that the original file was only 28K. This seems incredibly small for a TIFF which, when ‘expanded’, had a print size of 8.5 X 11 @ 300dpi. I do think your idea of fax machine format makes sense but I’ve never run into this before as I don’t fax.
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 28, 2004
The image forwarded to me was a single TIFF so I’m not sure how to ascertain if it had been multi-page originally. My friend just passed along the file.

If you received it in an e-mail through Mail in OS X; hit Control while clicking on the attachment and select Open Attachment; it will open it and from there you can find out if it was a multi-page tiff.
Z
Zeb
May 28, 2004
Chris Cox "Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue" 5/11/04 7:24pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 28, 2004
Rene,

What’s the difference between using a contextual menu to open the attachment with my default TIFF app (Photoshop) or dropping the file on the Photoshop dock icon? I’m missing something I think.

Zeb,

Great! You’ve confirmed Ed’s supposition. Thanks.

Cheers!
Welles
CC
Chris_Cox
May 28, 2004
Welles – there shouldn’t be any difference.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 28, 2004
I didn’t think so either but wanted an out in case I was missing something. I happen to be a serious contextual menu user with a menu of options which beggars the imagination…except when used in specific applications like PS, of course.

I still don’t comprehend how a single TIFF could be a multi-page item.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 29, 2004
Lots of programs can produce multi-page documents. Aside from page layout programs of course. Freehand Document comes to mind as does Acrobat/PDF as examples of formats that support multiple pages.

Multi-page tiffs are not uncommon and are used for faxes. I have a couple of Windows applications that can read and create them. There are Mac programs that can write and view them as well.

<http://home.earthlink.net/~ritter/tiff/>
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 29, 2004
Ed,

I understand multi-page documents but not a multi-page document sent as a single TIFF which can be opened by Photoshop, although conceivably I could view a single TIFF which was created from multiple pages in another file format. Perhaps I’m stuck in a semantic quibble loop. Sometimes I’m slow to grasp concepts.

Let me ask this. If I received a multi-page TIFF and opened it in Photoshop what would I see. Multiple pages as separate sections of one larger image? Multiple images?

This question has started me on another quixotic foray into learning. Thanks for the liink you provided.
T
Todie
May 29, 2004
I think that Photoshop would ask you which page you want to see.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 29, 2004
Aha…that makes sense.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 29, 2004
Right now, Photoshop will only read the first page of a multipage TIFF file.
T
Todie
May 29, 2004
Ooops!
(it must’ve been another application that I was not remembering enough about)
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 29, 2004
Thanks, Chris.

I found a shareware ($15) TIFF viewer for Mac which is carbonized and thus works in OS X. It showed my ‘strange’ TIFF with proper expansion and is useful for seeing multi-page TIFFs although it won’t work with FaxSTF files which, even though they are FAX files, have a proprietary file format.

<http://www.blueglobe.com/tiffsight.html>
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 31, 2004
Rene, What’s the difference between using a contextual menu to open the attachment with my default TIFF app (Photoshop) or dropping the file on the Photoshop dock icon? I’m missing something I think.

Yes you’re missing something, use the contextual menu to "Open attachment" not "Open attachment with… Photoshop".

If you click "Open attachment", OS X will open that tiff with the OS X Generic Preview application, and from there you click on one of the menu icon at the top (don’t remember which one, I’m not in front of an OS X Computer) that will open a "drawer" will open to the right and you’ll see all of the pages (in thumbnail format) of this multi-page fax. From there you can click on the thumbnail of page 3, let’s say, and it will preview page 3 of the fax for you.

You can "Save As" each pages separately, and open them in Photoshop.

It will save you $15.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 31, 2004
Thanks, Rene! You’re thinking of Preview. Needless to say I didn’t know that and that’s good info!
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 31, 2004
That’s right – Preview.

Glad to help.

: )

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections