I
Posted By
ieee488
Nov 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m not sure how to describe this accurately.

I want to take a 150×200 pixel image and create a 200×250 image from it where the additional area is the color blue.
How do I make a smooth seamless transition from the edges of the photo in the center to the outer edges the new larger image? I don’t want a blue border with a hard edge which is all I have been able to do.

I have PSE 1.

Thanks.

Linda

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JK
JP Kabala
Nov 24, 2003
Elegant or brute force?

Brute force: (this will work in any image editor that supports layers) 1-add 25 pixels of canvas on all sides of your image
2. add a new layer on top
3. fill new layer with blue
4. select entire new area of the new layer
5. Feather the selection 20 pixels
6.Invert the selection
7.Press delete
8. Merge the layers

More elegant (I don’t remember if PSE1 has masks, If it doesn’t, use the brute force method.)
Repeat 1,2 and 3 above, but move the blue layer to the bottom of the stack.
4. With your image layer on top, create a layer mask
5. With your paintbrush set for hard edge 25-30 pixels and BLACK loaded in to the foreground color, make sure you are painting on the MASK and not the image. You may not see anything much happening at this point.
6. Put your cursor in the upper left corner, click once, hold down the shift
key.
DO NOT RELEASE THE SHIFT
Click once in the upper right corner,click once in the lower right corner, click
once in the lower left corner, and click again in the upper right. You still may not see much change, but here comes the magic……
7. Gaussian blur the layer mask to taste
Seamless blend.

wrote in message
I’m not sure how to describe this accurately.

I want to take a 150×200 pixel image and create a 200×250 image from it
where the additional area is the color blue.
How do I make a smooth seamless transition from the edges of the photo in
the center to the outer edges the new larger image? I don’t want a blue border with a hard edge which is all I have been able to do.
I have PSE 1.

Thanks.

Linda
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 24, 2003
ieee,

You could try this.
Increase your canvas size to desired final dimensions.
Make a new layer, fill with your blue. Drag that layer under your image in the Layers Palette. Go back to image layer, select the image in that layer so that it has the selection marching ants surrounding it. Go to select>feather and choose a value to suit, experiment with this, you might want somewhere in the 5-40 pixel range. Now click on "Inverse" and hit delete. You should have a smooth transition. If not, increase the feather distance.

Come back if this doesn’t work out for you.
If you have the ability to create a layer mask, it could also be done this way.

Nancy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 24, 2003
Nancy and Linda , I think the original image has to be converted to a regular layer before you can drag anything under it. To convert the Background Layer to a regular layer, double click on that layer in the Layers Palette and give it a new name (default will probably be Layer 0). Once you’ve done that, you can drag another layer under it and proceed with Nancy’s approach.

Chuck
I
ieee488
Nov 24, 2003
Nancy and Chuck,

here’s my try <http://www.broadwayfocus.com/test.jpg>

I don’t know what I am doing wrong because there’s still the strong demarcation between the edge fo the photo and the background color.

Any more suggestions?

Linda
J
JodiFrye
Nov 24, 2003
Linda, try this; i see you know how to extend the canvas, great. So the next step would be to select the rectangular marquee tool and set the feather option rather high ( this depends on the resolution of your image so it may take a few tries to get it right ) then make the rectangular marquee selection just around the inside of your tuxedo dude>select inverse>delete. That should give you a fade from image to background.
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 24, 2003
The easy way 😉 : increase your canvas size to 200×250. Use the color picker, go to swatches and choose the appropriate kind of blue.(instead of magenta) Select the new area by means of the magic wand, and fill the selection with the paint bucket. Choose a large size soft brush, place the centre in the inner corner, right click, press shift, go to the next corner and work your way around the image.
If you don’t like the effect, undo and choose another size brush.

That’s all.

Leen
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 24, 2003
Linda…so do you want it hazy like a viginette? If so here’s one way of doing it:

1. Open your photo
2. Select the Elliptical Marquee Tool
3. Use Marquee Tool to frame image
4. Go to Select>Feather and enter a radius amount (it’s in a little option box next to tool’s blending mode). The higher the number the softer the fade will be (20 px – 50 px should be good)
5. Now go to Select>Inverse
6. Go to Tool Box or your swatches and select the color of blue you want with the eyedropper
7. Edit>Fill (don’t use paint bucket to do this)
8. A dialog box will come up here.. select option that says forground color. Select OK.
8.Select>deselect will remove marching ants.

There is a one click viginette in effects pallete but I’m pretty sure it will only do white. I think this method is better because you have more control and a lot more options.

Terri
J
JodiFrye
Nov 24, 2003
OOps, forgot to mention with my post…the colored background needs to be on it’s own layer below the penguin. 🙂
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 24, 2003
I forgot to mention…do this on a duplicate of your original! As you can see by the various posts, there are several different ways to do this project.

Terri
JR
John_R._Collins
Nov 24, 2003
Linda,

Here’s my way of doing your task:

In Image, go to Resize/Canvas Size, check relative and enter the height and width increases in size. The value entered will represent your border widths.

In Layer, create a new layer.
In layers palette, move the new layer to below the picture layer. Make this blank lower layer active.

Use the color picker on the lower left color square (tool bar) to select your blue color.

Use the paint can tool to fill the new layer with your color.

Activate the picture layer. Use the rectangular marquee tool to select carefully just your picture.

In Select/Modify/Border, use a value of 40 pixels (or whatever).

In Filter/Blur/Gaussian Blur, use a value of 40 pixels (or whatever). Click OK

After Select/Deselect, Ahhh!

John
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 25, 2003
A bunch of great tips here! John, yours is a new one for me; thanks for sharing it!!
I
ieee488
Nov 25, 2003
Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions.

Tried all of them. I was able to achieve what I wanted.

This is a great forum.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections