Posted By
Louis_Calogero
Nov 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
imacgirl;
In a recent Elements class the instructor touched on this subject.I was very surprised to learn of the short lifespan of CD-Rs.He mentioned the Verbatim Datalife Plus as being far superior to what is generally available.You mentioned Verbatim in a previous post.Same product?
Lou

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

I
imacgirl
Nov 22, 2003
Hi Louis,

Yes, I use Verbatim DataLife DVD-R’s. Here’s <http://www.verbatim.com> a link to their site, take a look at the Products. Apple had recommended this brand to me as a good brand to use…time will tell.

Barb
J
JodiFrye
Nov 22, 2003
Party at Barb’s house in 50 years to check her CD-R’s !! 🙂
I
imacgirl
Nov 22, 2003
Jodi, sounds great! See y ‘all in 2053, that ought to be some rockin’ party!! I plan to live a very long life indeed.

🙂

Barb
J
JodiFrye
Nov 22, 2003
Ya, I’ll only be 89 🙂 I’ll still be kickin’ with the best of ’em….I hope 😉
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Nov 23, 2003
In 50 years, CDs and DVDs will probably have gone the way of the floppy disks 🙂 Many of the newer computers don’t even come with FD drives any longer, except as a special-order peripheral, so anything saved to a floppy can’t be read in those new computers. I’d recommend re-archiving important pictures to whatever is the latest advancement in storage media as time goes by. It’s funny, I still enjoy looking at family photos that are over 100 years old and that are still as sharp as the day the prints were made. I wonder sometimes if we’re really improving.

MLee
JW
JP White
Nov 23, 2003
wrote:
imacgirl; In a recent Elements class the instructor touched on this subject.I was very surprised to learn of the short lifespan of CD-Rs.He mentioned the Verbatim Datalife Plus as being far superior to what is generally available.You mentioned Verbatim in a previous post.Same product? Lou

I saw the following at a Kodak Website.

http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/Media/Kodak.html

I found it more enlightening to fast forward to their conclusions at the end of the article 🙂 You can figure on anything from 100 to 217 years according to them.

TDK on the other hand at

http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/Media/TDK.html

say to figure on 70 years.

JP
J
JodiFrye
Nov 23, 2003
Marilyn, it’s all in how you look at it I guess. Sometimes I’d like to revert back to the horse and buggy. Other times I’m amazed at what can be accomplished with a simple click. Elements has indeed made me lazy. It used to take me hours/days/weeks to finish a painting….now I can throw one together with a few clicks. Is this an improvement ? Heck if i know. I guess we have to take advantage of the new stuff but not forget the old ( or forget ‘how’ to do the old ) It comes in handy now ( computer art ) because I don’t have to worry about cleaning up messy paint and brushes or worry about paint drying on my canvas while i chase after a kid. I’m thinking one day I will revert back to the ‘old fashioned paint and canvas’…but it wont be any time soon…when i’m old and grey perhaps. They should still be selling canvas and paint then 😉 I’m rambling
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 23, 2003
You know, we’ve had this discussion more than once and I remember about 9 months or so ago someone pointed out that good quality prints have the potential to last 100 years or more. For me at least it’s not so much longevity, although that would be nice too, but organization that pushes me to record my families images digitally. I’m in the midst of a massive genealogy/arc hiving project and have come across boxes of pictures moldering away in basements as well as hundreds of photo’s being degraded and destroyed because they were put in those awful 70’s "magnetic" photo albums. Organizing and preserving all these memories is what drives me. I also have plenty of family members who I need to distribute this stuff to. Prints and re prints just aren’t an option when your talking quantity.

So, I’m left with digital (poor me 😉 ). I accept that I’m going to have to continually be moving my images to the next "permanent" media that comes along. I’d just like it if it would last more than 3 years for crying out loud!

Joe
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Nov 23, 2003
Marilyn makes a good point, and it’s one I’ve thought about a lot. I’m working on a family photo archive…currently have about 4500 images, about half from old 35mm slides and negs. I still have a ton of prints to scan, some from the 19th century!
Here’s my thinking on archival storage. It’s worth at least as much as you are paying for it! As Marilyn says, floppies are history. CR-Rs will be history soon, and DVD’s will follow them. If you are archiving images to CD-Rs today, you have to be ready to migrate to a new medium within the next…I would say five years. DVD’s, probably ten years. I currently have about 150 CD-Rs backing up my image library. My plan is to skip the current DVD technology and go to "DVD Blues" which should be out in a year or two. They hold about 30 Gigabytes, vs. the 5.7GB capacity of a DVD or 700MB CD-R. I expect to continue to migrate my photo archive to new media as they mature.
Ok, so how important is archival life of CD’s? For me, not very. If they last three or four years, that’s probably sufficient. I’ve heard horror stories that some of the cheapies can lose data in shorter intervals. Dunno if it’s true. I have spot-checked mine, and have not found a single instance of a corrupted file yet, and I’m using "cheapies." GQ label, 50 for $7. I recently bought some Memorex "Blacks." They seem to be OK too. The bottom line is, long-term storage life is probably not that important. The medium will be obsolete before you’ll lose data, and you’ll be moving it all to the next "standard" storage medium anyway.
Bert
J
JodiFrye
Nov 23, 2003
yup, my thoughts exactly. There will always be something anyways to help us along. No worries. Gotta be thankful for it…it IS that time you know.

I am thankful for the wonderful relationships I have found through this forum.
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Nov 23, 2003
No argument from me on the value of archiving photos to CDs or DVDs. I think of it every time I have to dig down through multiple photo albums looking for a particular picture. My biggest problem, now that I have Elements, is always wanting to "improve" each picture as I scan it 🙂 Consequently, it’s taking me forever to get my pictures archived.

Keeping a set of "archive" CD’s off site is also a wonderful way to protect those irreplaceable photos should a disaster occur. And you can’t beat computer technology for genealogy purposes.

Between my office and my home, I spend half my life on a computer. I love them. Still, there’s something wonderful about touching those old photos . . . 🙂

MLee
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Nov 23, 2003
My biggest problem, now that I have Elements, is always wanting to "improve" each picture as I scan it Consequently, it’s taking me forever to get my pictures archived

Marilyn,If I may make a suggestion…archive your images in their raw, unimproved state! Techniques and tools will probably improve in the future…you might make some irreversible changes to those images and regret it in a few years! You can also archive your improved versions, but those originals are your Mother Lode!
Bert
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Nov 23, 2003
Bert – I always work on a copy of the original (but that’s a good point–I guess I should have mentioned that), but I still have the problem of wanting to create and fix that copy following each scan 🙂

MLee
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Nov 23, 2003
but I still have the problem of wanting to create and fix that copy following each scan

I know…I have the same feeling. Especially if it’s ab old slide or neg with some damage. The Clone Stamp tool just reaches out and grabs me!!!:)
Bert
LC
Louis_Calogero
Nov 23, 2003
Thanks All:
Consensus seems to be– Cd’s Ok for now,but be prepared to move archives to different media as they become available.Sounds reasonable.
I know this was discussed before,but it was a jolt to recently hear an Elements instructor say that we can expect significant deterioration in 3 to 4 months.Bunk?
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 23, 2003
I think it’s mostly bunk. I can accept deterioration, but I’ve got CDs I burned a couple of years ago that are still fine. I suppose some of this could be dependent on variables like media and the number of times a CD is opened and closed. This isn’t my strong suit, but I do think 3 to 4 months is a little exaggerated.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Nov 23, 2003
significant deterioration in 3 to 4 months.Bunk?

Well, maybe if you live in Phoenix and leave them on the front seat of your car with the windows closed around noon in July, you might have a problem.
As Beth says, I have about 150 that I have burned over the last year or so. I haven’t checked them all, but I have pulled some out occasionally to get an original image…haven’t seen a problem yet, and I used cheapies…something I sorta regret now. When I started there wasn’t much discussion of CD problems…or if there was, I didn’t know about it. If they last three or four years, I’ll be happy. By then, I’ll be using CD-Blues or something beyond that.
Bert
LC
Louis_Calogero
Nov 23, 2003
Thanks Beth and Bert– Sounded like bunk to me too,but wanted to rely on folks with far more experience than I. I ALWAYS find good opinions here.Best learning spot I’ve found– really friendly too.
R
Ray
Nov 23, 2003
I have CDs that I burned 7 years ago and they’re still working just fine. However, I avoid no-names, I always used either Maxell, Kodak, Sony or Verbatim’s.

Ray
N
notalwayshome
Nov 24, 2003
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:11:01 -0800,
wrote:

My biggest problem, now that I have Elements, is always wanting to "improve" each picture as I scan it Consequently, it’s taking me forever to get my pictures archived

Marilyn,If I may make a suggestion…archive your images in their raw, unimproved state! Techniques and tools will probably improve in the future…you might make some irreversible changes to those images and regret it in a few years! You can also archive your improved versions, but those originals are your Mother Lode!
Bert

CD-Rs seem to be failing in a couple of years////Do research on testing.
MM
Michael Moody
Nov 25, 2003
The term CD-Blue is new to me. What are they?

wrote in message
significant deterioration in 3 to 4 months.Bunk?

Well, maybe if you live in Phoenix and leave them on the front seat of
your car with the windows closed around noon in July, you might have a problem.
As Beth says, I have about 150 that I have burned over the last year or
so. I haven’t checked them all, but I have pulled some out occasionally to get an original image…haven’t seen a problem yet, and I used cheapies…something I sorta regret now. When I started there wasn’t much discussion of CD problems…or if there was, I didn’t know about it. If they last three or four years, I’ll be happy. By then, I’ll be using CD-Blues or something beyond that.
Bert
JW
JP White
Nov 25, 2003
wrote:

CD-Rs seem to be failing in a couple of years////Do research on testing.

I did some research and posted it here and the research pointed to over 70 years of life. Maybe you could provide links to support your assertion.

Just a as a reminder here are the links I posted.

Kodak.
http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/Media/Kodak.html

TDK
http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/Media/TDK.html

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections