DM
Posted By
Dan_McGinley
May 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to create images with the backgrounds removed. When I do that the only way to save the image is as a Photoshop document. In order to save it as a tiff or jpeg it has to be flattened and the background returns. The background interferes with my design. Any help out there? Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
May 21, 2004
Which version of Photoshop?

JPEGs do not support transparency (regardless of version of Photoshop), but the TIFF file format in Photoshop 6 and up does.
T
Todie
May 21, 2004
err… no it doesn’t.
(but GIF does)

Save your highrez as PSD.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 21, 2004
As usual it would help to know what the final use of the images is going to be. Print? Web?
R
Ram
May 21, 2004
Todie,

Doesn’t InDesign support TIFF files with transparency in the image?
T
Todie
May 21, 2004
That would be PSD.
R
Ram
May 21, 2004
OK, thanks.
T
Todie
May 21, 2004
Don’t mention it!
DS
dale_strickland
May 24, 2004
I am also trying to take a picture of my little ones and have just their photo with a solid white background. Can you tell me how to do this? Your help would be greatly appreciated!
T
Todie
May 24, 2004
Dale, It’s best to think of what you want before you shoot. If green/blue screen is too much preparation for a simple project, I’d put some distance between the "little ones" and the white background, so that their shadows fall out of the frame.
Once the picture is in Photoshop, I’d make a selection from the Blue channel and (in QuickMask mode) I’d adjust the mask by adding some contrast and painting or burning inside the shapes.
Exiting the QuickMask mode, press the layer mask icon on the bottom of the layer window.
JK
John_Kallios
May 24, 2004
Doesn’t InDesign support TIFF files with transparency in the image?

Yes, InDesign does support transparent tif files. Both 2 and CS.

There is just no compelling reason to use the tif format in place of the psd format for InDesign. (or use the Photoshop PDF format)
R
Ram
May 24, 2004
Thank you, John.
T
Todie
May 24, 2004
That’s a PSD masquerading as TIFF for InDesign only.
Other applications will read it’s transparency as white.
DS
dale_strickland
May 24, 2004
I’ll try that. Thanks so much for your time.
T
Todie
May 24, 2004
Ramón, I may be wrong, but many formats are TIFF (including EPS). The difference is proprietary-or-not tags that can be added to the file.
(did you know that the original TIFF code supports multiple pages : )

Also, Adobe claims but (I think) didn’t register Aldus’ TIFF as their property (after the so-called merge) and Unisys owns the LZW compression for TIFF (so there have been outside contributions to the format after the original code was registered).

Oh!.. and DCS (which is an EPS type of TIFF) is a creation of… Quark.
JK
John_Kallios
May 24, 2004
That’s a PSD masquerading as TIFF for InDesign only.

I agree that there are many flavors of tif, but so far as I know, the only application (besides Photoshop) that supports the transparent tif is InDesign. If it were a psd masquerading as a tif, then I would assume Illustrator CS would also support it.

Alas, it does not and since I often assume, I often make a ass of myself.

Still, I think we can agree that there is a flavor of tif that supports transparency. I just would not recommend using it because so few applications support it at this time.
T
Todie
May 24, 2004
John, You may be right, but look at the way Photoshop and Illustrator define Pantone colors and you’ll find that difference puzzling.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 24, 2004
I believe that when you are working in RGB, Photoshop uses Pantone’s published Lab values and applies your chosen CMYK profile to the conversion (which produces a closer rendering on Press); while illustrator is tied to a direct LUT which is unaffected by your Color Settings Profiles?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections