N
Posted By
nytrashman7618
Nov 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am able to re size my image to either 4H x 6W or 5H x 7W. how do I make either a 4W x 6H or a 5W X 7H. the original image I am working with is 28.44W x 21.33H (2048 x 1536) when I change the resolution to 330 it gives me an image of 6.2W x 4.6H. no matter how i play with this i am unable to get a 4Hx6W, or a 5Hx7W pic. maybe i am suffering from brain freeze tonight but fo rthe life of me i can’t figure it out.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
nytrashman7618
Nov 1, 2003
sorry about the double post. i was just able to figure this out. like i said, brain freeze. luckly it was only temp.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 1, 2003
Yup, maybe brain freeze. If I understand the question correctly, either you’re going to have to crop quite a bit of that photo, or it was taken with your camera held sideways.

If your camera was held sideways, it’s easy – you open the image on your screen, do a Command A to select the whole photo, and then go to Image>Rotate, and choose to turn it either 90 degrees left or 90 degrees right. Somehow I don’t think that’s what you want, though. So…

Your original image is wider than it is high. In order to make it higher than it is wide, you’ll have to keep reducing the resolution until you get that "short" side long enough to become the "long" side. Once you get a 4 inch high image stretched out to 6 inches high, you’ll have to crop off the excess from one or both sides. You’d do this the same way you size for a 4 X 6, but reverse the dimensions in the Option Bar.

OK, so if neither of those fit the bill, give me some more clues. 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 1, 2003
George, what you’re observing is that the ‘aspect ratio’ (relative dimensions) of your pictures as they leave the camera is 4-by-3, i.e. the long side is 4 units to the short side’s 3 units. The closest you can come to a 4×6 is 4.5×6 and the math for 5×7 is similar. What you have to do to get an exact 4×6 or 5×7 is crop (remove) part of your image. If you have a
4.5 by 6, you’re going to have to get rid of a half-inch strip the length of the picture; then you’ll have a 4×6. Cropping is painful sometimes,
though – you might really not want to get rid of part of your image to make it fit those standard dimensions. But if you absolutely, positively have to have a 4×6 or a 5×7, cropping is in your future…

Chuck

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections