JC
Posted By
Josh_Caroon
Jul 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just started getting into photography with photoshop. I know photoshop fairly well but I have one question. I have about 1400 images I plan to give to someone else after I edit them. Before I send these images out, should I change them to 300 dpi. What is the best way to distribute these images so that they print ok. In my mind I think that everything should be at 300 dpi but I dont know if that is true. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
Josh

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Jul 19, 2006
What is the current resolution and size of the images?

If the images are currently something like 44" x 33" at 72 ppi, then resizing them (wihtout resampling) so their resolution is 300 ppi (and their size in inches correspondingly smaller) should be no problem

If they’re at 4" x 6" at 72 ppi, then there’s not much you can do.

Interpolating the images won’t give you any extra details.
JC
Josh_Caroon
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks for the response. I’m talking about files stright of the camera. So they are about 44" x 33" at 72 like you said.

However, I think you misunderstood the question . I want to konw if I should do that. If I give these images to a client for them to print should I leave them 44" x 33" @72dpi or should I change them to 300dpi? What is them better way to do it? Sometimes I take the time to do it but when you have 1500 to 2000 images it takes a long time. And if its really not needed I would rather not waste the time.

I hope that clairifies my question.
Thanks agian for the response.
Josh
HB
Heather Bell
Jul 19, 2006
Bach them. I wouldn’t leave them at 44×33 for various reason that may not apply to you, but a lot of my clients print directly from their email programs (proofs), the larger documents have a tendency to print partially, and then you get calls "why did you crop my photo?!"
JC
Josh_Caroon
Jul 19, 2006
Heather-
Thanks for the response. Now I have to more questions for you.

Why would you leave then 44×33, what are some of your reasons if you dont mind sharing. That would be helpful.

What do you use to "batch" the files. I have an action set up but it doesnt always work, I’m not good with actions. What other options are there? Is there an easier way than an action?

Thanks for the help
Josh
HB
Heather Bell
Jul 19, 2006
I do not use batch often, last time I did anything with it was in college on finals (I will not remember how many years ago that was in my head, I won’t), the scope of my current work is much smaller, borchures and other projects, hopefully someone else will be able to go over the steps of batching with you.
And I said Would Not leave 44×33. Reason I mentioned about printing proofs. Also, I don’t like resizing anything in document, most of my photos get place somewhere, so they are all saved at finish size (perhaps a little tweaking of an 1/8 inch or something in InDesign on occasion). I just don’t like it. That probably sounds silly, but we all have our peaves, I don’t like things being the wrong final output size, even if the conversion rate on the dpi is the same, feels unfinished. That DOES NOT mean leaving at 44×33 is wrong for your work flow. You have to figure out what is most efficient for you. And doesn’t grate on your nerves over much 🙂
RR
Richard_R._Chalmers
Jul 19, 2006
I believe I’d change them to 300 dpi, without resampling. Creating an action to do this is something you will be able to do. First, copy all your originals in case something bad happens. Then, using the copies, take one image and record the steps it takes to change the dpi, save and close. Then stop recording if it doesn’t stop itself when you close.
Using the browser select all the files you want to change, and batch process these from there.
It should work….I just tested it with 10 files and it worked fine. Richard
JC
Josh_Caroon
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks Richard, I will try that when i get home.
Josh
RR
Richard_R._Chalmers
Jul 19, 2006
By the way, I’d test it with only a few files before doing all 1400, which will take some time, even batching them.
Richard
JC
Josh_Caroon
Jul 20, 2006
Could someone email me an action or droplet for this. I can not for the life of me get it to work. Thanks
Josh

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Jul 20, 2006
Open up a typical file.

Create and start to record and action

Go to image size and with resampling turned off, type 300 in the resolution box.

Stop recording the action.

Close the file

Run it as a batch

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections