RZ
Posted By
robert_zidle
Oct 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After restoring a .PSD file from a PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0 backup, PE2 is unable to open the restored file. It states: "There was a problem reading the layer data. Read composite or cancel." When I try to read the composite data, it states: "Could not open the .PSD file because it’s not compatible with this version of PE2."

I compared the original file to the restored file and they seem identical (same size, same contents.) I’m baffled.

If anyone has experienced this problem and has a suggestion, please let me know. Thanks,

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NS
Nancy_S
Oct 23, 2003
Robert,

Was the original file made with PSE version 1?

Nancy
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 23, 2003
Robert,

I don’t know if this has bearing on your issue, but in Preferences there is a setting for saving which maximizes compatibility.
RZ
robert_zidle
Oct 23, 2003
Hi Nancy:

The .PSD file was made with the same PS2 program. I haven’t checked my preferences and will do that and get back to you. Thanks for the support.

Bob
RZ
robert_zidle
Oct 23, 2003
Didn’t have any success in reading the bad PSD file after changing the compatibility option for saving PSD files.

I think it has more to do with a Drive Image 7 restore problem (possibly a compression error,) but it’s not an obvious error such as different file size or different contents. Also, the Drive Image 7 restore does not always fail, but often does. I have contacted both Adobe and Powerquest but neither has encountered this problem before.
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 23, 2003
Robert,

….the mystery deepens but shifts towards DI7… Are you saying the restore function in DI often fails? My ears are up as I recently purchased that program but haven’t installed… I am still keeping my ear to the ground after having doubts now. Before I open the shrinkwrap I thought I should learn a little more about the app.

Nancy
RZ
robert_zidle
Oct 23, 2003
Hi:

I have been using DI5.0 for a couple of years with no problems. In that time, I restored one or both of my hard drives on several occasions with no issues. However, It’s the new File Restore feature of DI7 may be failing to properly restore the .PSD (and .PDF) files. I really don’t know the cause yet. The fact that only Adobe files are affected is also notable.

I will run some tests using DI7 full Drive restore (similar to DI5 restore.) This will provide much more information than I have now. I’ll run a Norton Ghost to back up the drive, then perform the DI7 full drive restore. I am very pleased with the usability of DI7 – especially the online capabilities, so I hope I don’t have to go back to version 5.

I’ll post the results as soon as I have them.

Bob
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 23, 2003
Robert,

I’ll look forward to your seeing your results. Sounds like you have more confidence in Ghost??? DI7 is packaged with 2002, however 2002 is not for XP, am I to assume you are not using XP if you can still use version 5 of DI?

Nancy
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 23, 2003
Robert,

whoops, now I’m confused, you couldn’t be using DI7 if you didn’t use XP….

Nancy
RZ
robert_zidle
Oct 23, 2003
Hi Nancy:

I was using DI5 with XP and had no problems (I uninstalled it when I switched from Win98 to XP, and then reinstalled it.) My C: drive is FAT32, and my other hard drive is partitioned as G: and H:. I use H: as my backup location and periodically copy the backups to CD. I have installed DI7 on XP. My hard drive setup is the same. I like Ghost but it lacks 2 of DI7’s features: It can’t limit the size of the files so that they can be copied to CD later, and it doesn’t have a file restore capability. However, I trust Norton products.

1) I took the following steps to help narrow down the problem regarding restoring of .PSD and .PDF files from a DI7 backup file.
I created a new full backup image of my hard drive (from [G:]Disk 2, Partition 1 to [H:]Disk 2, Partition 2.)
2) I then attempted several .PSD and .PDF file restores from the image file. Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 was unable to open many of the .PSD files. No pattern was apparent to me. Some small as well as large PSD files were not readable, but some large PSD files were readable. The files were located randomly in several directories and subdirectories.
Adobe Acrobat was unable to read a restored .PDF file (248mb,) but could read other (smaller) .PDF files.
3) I then ran a full drive restore offline (from [H:]Disk 2, Partition 2 back to [G:]Disk 2, Partition 1,) using the same drive image file.
4) I tested the files again and found that all PSD and PDF files were OK. The problem is associated with the ~online file restore~ feature, not with the backup software.
The problem seems to be associated only with Acrobat files: PDS and PDF. I tested many others (TXT, binary, DOC, XLS, etc.) and did not have any problems using the file restore feature.

So, DI7 works well when using full image backup and full image restore. Except for better interactivity, it’s not much different than DI5 until Powerquest finds a solution to the file restore feature.

Bob
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 24, 2003
Bob Z,

Your findings are very interesting and helpful to me. I appreciate knowing the limitation of .psd files as handled by DI7. Your testing sounds valid and purposeful. Thank you very much for posting your results.

Nancy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections