SF
Posted By
Stefan Frick
Feb 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Suppose I have a complex image with a huge number of layers, and I want to find out on what specific layer a certain item belongs to. Is there any simple way to do this, except from cycling trough the layers?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SI
stupid_idiot
Feb 1, 2004
i have found it helps in the discipline of naming each layer as I am working there…not later.

"Stefan Frick" wrote in message
Suppose I have a complex image with a huge number of layers, and I want to find out on what specific layer a certain item belongs to. Is there any simple way to do this, except from cycling trough the layers?

JW
JP White
Feb 1, 2004
stupid_idiot wrote:

i have found it helps in the discipline of naming each layer as I am working there…not later.

VG Point. In addition grouping layers together can also help organize things logically.

JP
B
broga
Feb 1, 2004
Select the Move tool. Put the arrow over the point you wish to identify – hold down CTRL and click the left mouse button – this will highlight and move you to the layer thats uppermost at that point

If you need a lower layer move the arrow over the point and click the right hand mouse button – a list of layers at that point will appear – click on the layer you want on the pop up list to move to it

www.micromountain.com

E
edjh
Feb 1, 2004
Stefan Frick wrote:
Windows: Right click on the layer and you will get a context menu with the most likely layers shown. Click on a menu item and it brings you to that layer.

Mac: Command-Control does the same thing or right-click if you have a two button mouse.

Note: It can get confused by Layer Sets.You can do the same thing with Auto Select Layer checked and just clicking on an area, but that can sometimes take you to a layer you don’t want to go to, so I usually leave it unchecked.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Batman art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
SF
Stefan Frick
Feb 1, 2004
Excellent, thanks a lot!

-Stefan

PS. Is this feature documented somewhere?

"broga" <ian’@(remove to e-mail)micromountain.com> skrev i meddelandet
Select the Move tool. Put the arrow over the point you wish to identify – hold down CTRL and click the left mouse button – this will highlight and move you to the layer thats uppermost at that point

If you need a lower layer move the arrow over the point and click the
right
hand mouse button – a list of layers at that point will appear – click on the layer you want on the pop up list to move to it

www.micromountain.com

B
broga
Feb 1, 2004
There’s a brief note on selecting layers in the PS help but I dont think it mentions CTRL + left click

www.micromountain.com
Excellent, thanks a lot!

-Stefan

Select the Move tool. Put the arrow over the point you wish to
identify –
hold down CTRL and click the left mouse button – this will highlight and move you to the layer thats uppermost at that point

right
hand mouse button – a list of layers at that point will appear – click
on
the layer you want on the pop up list to move to it

www.micromountain.com

S
steven
Feb 2, 2004
Ctrl-Clicking with the Move tool just toggles the "Auto Select Layer" option on the toolbar.

-Steven

"broga" <ian’@(remove to e-mail)micromountain.com> wrote in message
There’s a brief note on selecting layers in the PS help but I dont think
it
mentions CTRL + left click

www.micromountain.com
Excellent, thanks a lot!

-Stefan

identify –
hold down CTRL and click the left mouse button – this will highlight
and
move you to the layer thats uppermost at that point

right
hand mouse button – a list of layers at that point will appear – click
on

www.micromountain.com

W
wes
Feb 2, 2004
If you have PSCS, you can also Ctrl right click and a small menu will come listing all of the layers and you can select one that way. I can’t remember if this worked in PS7 or not. In PS7, I used the techniques already mentioned.

"steven" wrote in message
Ctrl-Clicking with the Move tool just toggles the "Auto Select Layer"
option
on the toolbar.

-Steven

"broga" <ian’@(remove to e-mail)micromountain.com> wrote in message
There’s a brief note on selecting layers in the PS help but I dont think
it
mentions CTRL + left click

www.micromountain.com
Excellent, thanks a lot!

-Stefan

identify –
hold down CTRL and click the left mouse button – this will highlight
and
move you to the layer thats uppermost at that point

If you need a lower layer move the arrow over the point and click
the
right
hand mouse button – a list of layers at that point will appear –
click
on

www.micromountain.com
Suppose I have a complex image with a huge number of layers, and I want to find out on what specific layer a certain item
belongs
to. Is there any simple way to do this, except from cycling trough the layers?

N
neon
Feb 4, 2004
To activate the layer containing an item simply put whatever tool you’re using over the item and ctrl + alt + right click. I’m assuming you’re using a PC…I don’t know what it is on a Mac.

W
wes
Feb 4, 2004
Or, if you have named the layers, just right click and select the named layer from the drop menu.

"neon" wrote in message
To activate the layer containing an item simply put whatever tool you’re using over the item and ctrl + alt + right click. I’m assuming you’re
using
a PC…I don’t know what it is on a Mac.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections