Why does the welcome screen sometimes show on start-up?

KJ
Posted By
Kathy_J_Moore
May 16, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sometimes, it goes right to the last screen I had open with the windows like I left them…others it opens with the welcome screen and asks me if I want to customize my color settings. Any idea why this is?

Kathy Moore
PSCS, Windows XP Home, Toshiba S75-2112, p4 processor, 1 GB RAM

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
BobLevine
May 16, 2005
Are you shutting Photoshop down properly? That’s a symptom of losing your preferences which could happen if you shut the computer down without shutting down Photoshop first.

Bob
L
LenHewitt
May 16, 2005
Kathy,

and asks me if I want to customize my color settings.<<

That should only happen of your preference file has been deleted or corrupted, which should not happen if Photoshop is closed before switching off the computer.
KJ
Kathy_J_Moore
May 16, 2005
Hmmm…well, maybe it only happens when I don’t do that. Good point…I guess I should have paid attention to that little detail. I do know that twice today I’ve had to turn off the computer without shutting down PS because PS froze up and wouldn’t shut down. That could certainly be it.

Thanks, guys!
B
BobLevine
May 16, 2005
If that’s happening you have some other issues that you need clear up.

Bob
KJ
Kathy_J_Moore
May 16, 2005
I’d love to! I just don’t know what else to do. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled, called support, they had me rename my preferences file and shut down and reopen (which worked great for a day or two)…it’s odd because some days it’s great and some days it’s awful. Sometimes the liquify command opens right up and I can see the changes as I make them with the brush, some days it takes forever and I have to wait for the screen to catch up with me. Some days (like today), I asked it to open a file and it got stuck…the file is multi-layers and 198 mb.

So, I’d love to have some suggestions as to how to make this software perform better!

Thanks!
Kathy
B
BobLevine
May 16, 2005
We’d need complete system specs to help.

Bob
KJ
Kathy_J_Moore
May 16, 2005
Can you be more specific on what else you need? I posted what I thought was the relevant info in my first post.

Thanks!
DM
dave_milbut
May 16, 2005
restarting without closing ps will often trash your prefs, causing you to reset them. then it’s good for a couple of days, say, until you shut down again… it’s a vicious circle. delete your prefrences. shut down photoshop EVERY time before you turn off your computer. you should be ok.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections