Photoshop CS (ver 8) locks up at start up screen.

WV
Posted By
William_Veteran
Aug 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Computer is about 6 month old running Vista. Installed and used program without a problem for last 6 months now it begins to load at the start up screen and then freezes. Task manager says "not responding." Re-booted several times however locks up at the same point near the end of the start-up screen load. Any help would be appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John Joslin
Aug 26, 2008
Try resetting your preferences as described in the FAQ.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.

A complete uninstall/re-install will not affect the preferences and a corrupt file there may be causing the problem.

(CS is not supported on Vista.)
WV
William_Veteran
Aug 26, 2008
Wow! Thank you for the quick response. I will do that. Also if I tell Vista to Handle Photoshop as it did with XP can I fool it that way?
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 26, 2008
Not likely.

Bob
WV
William_Veteran
Aug 26, 2008
OK thanks again
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 26, 2008
note that "not supported" doesn’t mean "won’t work"…
PR
Paul_R
Aug 26, 2008
Turning off User Access Control might help as some problems occur with this turned on. Here’s an article to help..
< http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/12/19/turn-off-or-disable -user-account-control-uac-in-windows-vista/>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections