LL
Posted By
louis_levin
Oct 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I move the radius bar until the "scratch" is gone. Then when I move the Threshold slider the picture is blurred and when it comes back to proper texture and focus the scratch or impairment is back.
What am I missing?
Louis

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RC
Richard_Coencas
Oct 9, 2003
Louis,

Not sure, since I don’t really see the problem here, but a couple of general pointers might be to use a smaller radius. Use just the minimum needed to make the scratch disappear and also be very gentle with the amount of threshold you use. Secondly, if it is a specific scratch and not a general scratchiness or dustiness, make a selection using the lasso around the scratch, so you don’t effect the entire image.

Another trick, which I’ve described elsewhere is to use layers. Duplicate the background layer. Hide the top layer(click on the eyeball). On the bottom of the two, apply the dust and scratches filter to the entire image and don’t worry too much about blurring things out. Then show the top layer and use the eraser tool to remove your scratches. Kind of a faux healing brush.

Rich
LL
louis_levin
Oct 9, 2003
Thanks Rich.
With what tool do you make the lasso around the scratch or dust? Actually I thought I did use the minimum (with radius slider) to make the scratch disappear. Louis
RC
Richard_Coencas
Oct 9, 2003
Louis,

On the toolbar, the second tool from the top on the lefthand column is your lasso. The default tool is a freehand lasso, which is most appropriate for this purpose. If you hold down the mouse button over the tool, hidden under it are a magnetic lasso and a polygonal lasso.

Generally with dust and scratches you don’t want to apply it to the entire image, but only to the affected area. I think that may be the problem you are running into. But if you have a lot of scratches on the image, I would suggest using my second technique.

Rich
LL
louis_levin
Oct 10, 2003
Rich
Your initial response to my question disappeared.
What happened?
Louis
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 10, 2003
louis, I can still see Rich’s first response, but it’s on the first page of posts now, and your latest is on the second. Right under the initial post of this thread, you’ll see a place where you can go back to the previous page, or, off to the far right there’s a place where you can choose to View all Messages.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections