GB
Posted By
Gil_Blank
Nov 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A question for the more robust pro Mac users.

I’ve been working with very large-sized files for some time, but am now beginning to really ramp up both the sizes and the processing demands – particularly in 16-bit. More than likely, it will be soon necessary to build and purchase a much more robust Mac system – luckily the newest Macs appear to be appropriately configurable.

The challenge: CS2 tells me that a typical image of mine (72" x 120" @ 300dpi, 16-bit) will start at 4.35 GB. That size will of course only grow as the file develops alpha channels, extra layer groups, and so on. Assuming that the Mac I build will only be used for its operating system and for the creative suite, what kind of RAM and drive space would you suggest would be necessary not merely to work on such files, but to work with them smoothly and efficiently? I’ll also be using a large external RAID drive set up for actual storage, so the internal drives and specs would mainly just be used for immediate processing and scratch needs.

All suggestions and brainstorms welcomed.

Many thanks –

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CA
Chris_Albertson
Nov 29, 2006
It really comes down to your budget doesn’t it? Given unlimited funds it is easy to spec a system. Two 30" ACD monitors, 16GB RAM and an Apple fiber channel array for storage. But if you say "I can spend up to $6,000 then it gets more interesting because you have to debate which is best, a faster storage system or more RAM and if a 2nd 30 inch display is needed or not

So what are you looking to spend?
GB
g_ballard
Nov 29, 2006
Max ram and internal RAID 0 (striped) Scratch disk…

<http://photoshopnews.com/>
AW
Allen_Wicks
Nov 29, 2006
Pretty easy today: 3 GHz Mac Pro with at least 4x2GB RAM and X1900 XT graphics card. However I suggest waiting 6 weeks (like I am doing) to see what comes from Mac Expo SF because the improvements to MP will be very significant.

Other folks can comment on the drive details with such large files, but RAID for sure.
B
Buko
Nov 29, 2006
Internally I would get 2 750 GB drives
AW
Allen_Wicks
Nov 29, 2006
An X1900 XT graphics card is usually appropriate, but graphics card choices depend on all your chosen apps and on what your intended monitor setup will be. Please specify.

Note too that we are at the end of an era. CS3 is just around the corner and we don’t really know how it will optimize; e.g. CS2 fails to take advantage of strong graphics hardware but CS3 may. I am hopeful that Adobe will demo CS3 at Mac Expo SF, and by then will give us some info on what kinds of hardware will optimize. Also hopefully Apple will give specifics on what OS 10.5 likes.

I will have at least 3 internal drives so two can be RAID 0 and one for backup, perhaps even a mirror.

Note too that large amounts of RAM are important for such a box, and the new MPs may accept more/faster RAM.
CC
Craig_Cheatham
Nov 30, 2006
I think a nitrous system is really useful for transforms on those really big files.
GB
Gil_Blank
Nov 30, 2006
Thanks all for suggestions. Some thoughts –

1. Internal Raid 0 for scratch is indeed an ingenious idea for both operational and economic efficiency – thanks for that great suggestion I hadn’t thought of, GB. On that note: is Raid 0 striping something that the new Macs can set up automatically, or at least with native architecture?

2. Allen (and Chris): monitor will be a single Eizo 22" monitor. Economics are indeed (of course) a consideration here; sky is not the limit, but neither is it the first priority here: rather, efficiency and robust operations are. System will run the one monitor, and be almost exclusively dedicated to running Mac OS and Adobe CS2 (or 3 when available). I have other machines for the rest of everyday business/personal needs. We’re looking to build an economically lean but operationally robust engine.

3. Allen, as well, your comments are well spoken: it’s true that this question hinges greatly upon developments just now coming down the pipe. New macs, new CS3. But your suggestions are well taken.

4. What is a nitrous system?? Sounds like something Mad Max had.

Personally, I was thinking dual internal drives set to Raid 0 strictly for scratch speed; external Raid 5 NAS (from Granite Digital, and certainly am hoping the new Macs will have serial ATA ports standard) for storage and backup.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 30, 2006
Mad Max had a clutch driven forced air blower, not NOS.
RM
Rick McCleary
Nov 30, 2006
Mad Max had a clutch driven forced air blower, not NOS

at heart, we’re all just hopeless gearheads.

speaking of clutches, life was never so good as it was behind the wheel of my friend’s old ’67 stingray…
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 30, 2006
Life is good behind a 68 Firebird convertible – 428 Ram Air 4 with a Doug Nash five speed.

;o)
SW
Scott_Weichert
Nov 30, 2006
And baby blue to boot!
PT
Phil_Taz
Nov 30, 2006
The Humungus had Nitrous! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 30, 2006
It’s teal now Scott.

I had it repainted.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Nov 30, 2006
fine.. make me look stupid.. paint it back to blue 🙂
AW
Allen_Wicks
Nov 30, 2006
…monitor will be a single Eizo 22" monitor. …almost exclusively dedicated to running Mac OS and Adobe CS2 (or 3 when available).

So today a single stock graphics card will suffice. Then after we find out what CS3 likes you can add a stronger graphics card if necessary.
S
SuperMacGuy
Dec 4, 2006
If your budget is big enough and these things fit the bill, get a solid state drive (IE a lot of ram/flash ram in a box). Only in sizes up to about 155gb and doesn’t look like they have SATA yet, but maybe some other company does. Make this baby your primary scratch disk and I bet this’ll scream… I’ve always wanted to have a huge ram disk to use as my scratch disk.

<http://www.bitmicro.com/products_edisk_35_fc.php>
S
SteveV
Dec 5, 2006
Flippin’ heck!!!!

That’d be faster than Mikes Pontiac!
GB
Gil_Blank
Dec 7, 2006
It looks fascinating over the longer term (when they get their capacity up) for potential use as a storage device, but to be used strictly as a scratch disk, this seems a little bit more like a gear indulgence. Which has its place of course, but pragmatically speaking, the speed gain doesn’t seem to be the most sensible on a dollar for dollar basis, versus just putting two internal drives onto a RAID 0 configuration.
BK
Bradley_Kaye
Jan 14, 2007
Linus, check my "Poor RAID 0 Performance" post regarding RAIDing Photoshop for speed.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections