JM
Posted By
Jeff_McDevitt
Oct 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I like to group my often used palettes (layers, recipes with hidden elements, history and info) on top of each other at the right edge of the PSE workspace, to enabe the largest possible image to work on. Is there a shortcut to cycle through these to make each one active at any given time? I can’t find anything like this in the book, but it would seem that it would be essential. Am I missing it somewhere?

As it is, I must slightly overlap them and click on the top header to activate each one when I want to use it, which is tedious. Am I asking too much? 🙂

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 5, 2003
As far as I know – you’re asking too much! 🙂 I don’t know of any way to work with them other than what you’ve described. In my next life, I’ll have two monitors – one for the image and one for the tools. Will your video card support that kind of arrangement? If so, a small, cheapo monitor would allow you to keep all of these open at once. I know that’s how many of the pros operate. I’m no pro, but someday I’ll advance to that arrangement anyway.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 5, 2003
Jeff

While you can’t cycle thought the pallets as far as I know you can skin the cat another way … sorry cat lovers. You can dock the pallets and then minimize then so that only their taps appear in a small rectangle.

Grab the tab of a Pallet that you want to dock. Move it over a pallet you want it to join. A highlight will appear if it is a single bar it will dock the pallet vertically if it is a double bar it will dock it vertically. release the mouse when you have achieved what you want. Click on the minimize button will make everything very compact.

Double click on a tablet will behave as a toggle. You can dock as many as you want both vertically, horizontally or in any combination.

Grant
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 5, 2003
Nice, Grant!
JM
Jeff_McDevitt
Oct 5, 2003
Thank you, Grant! Thank you, Grant! Thank you, Grant!….. 🙂

That’s good enough for me. And thanks, Beth. The second monitor is a great idea, for the future.

Jeff
R
RobertHJones
Oct 5, 2003
Jeff,

As an alternative to docking, you can group the palettes together as tabs in one palette. Drag one palette onto the desktop then drag the tab of the second palette over the body of the first until a solid line outlines the first palette. Release the mouse and the second will appear as a tab on the first palette. I find that grouping related palettes in this fashion speeds my work and minimizes the space taken up by the palette.

Bob
DS
Dick_Smith
Oct 6, 2003
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 11:56:52 -0700, wrote:

Jeff

While you can’t cycle thought the pallets as far as I know you can skin the
cat another way … sorry cat lovers. You can dock the pallets and then minimize then so that only their taps appear in a small rectangle.

Wouldn’t it be super if you could put palettes along the right side of the Elements window like GoLive 6.0?

Dick

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 6, 2003
Dick,

Unless I am not understanding you correctly, you can put palettes along the right side of the Elements window. Just drag whichever one you want from the well to the workarea and drop it. You can also choose more palettes from the well and ‘nest’ them together with the first along the right side, as others mentioned earlier. Tab is a toggle switch for hiding/unhiding these palettes.

Nancy
MM
Michael Moody
Oct 6, 2003
Brilliant! Also, I just found that you can rearrange the pallets by dragging them to place them in the most convenient order; i.e. the Layer pallett at the bottom.

wrote in message
Jeff

While you can’t cycle thought the pallets as far as I know you can skin
the
cat another way … sorry cat lovers. You can dock the pallets and then minimize then so that only their taps appear in a small rectangle.
Grab the tab of a Pallet that you want to dock. Move it over a pallet you want it to join. A highlight will appear if it is a single bar it will
dock
the pallet vertically if it is a double bar it will dock it vertically. release the mouse when you have achieved what you want. Click on the minimize button will make everything very compact.

Double click on a tablet will behave as a toggle. You can dock as many
as
you want both vertically, horizontally or in any combination.
Grant

DS
Dick_Smith
Oct 6, 2003
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 17:37:32 -0700, wrote:

Unless I am not understanding you correctly,

Nancy, I wasn’t very clear in my post. In Adobe GoLive6.0 you can arrange some of the palettes, with just the tab showing on the right edge of the screen. It would be like taking the layers palette and dragging it almost off the right edge of the screen and then all that would be left is the tab for the layers palette.

In AGL when you need a tool you then just click on the tab and it slides into view, when you’re done you click it again and it slides back to just the tab.

I don’t think I’m doing a real good job of describing what I mean, so I hope this helps some.

Besides, it’s veeerrrry early!

Dick

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 6, 2003
Dick,

I understand now the difference you are pointing out, displaying only the tabs.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 6, 2003
excuse me if someone has already mentioned this…palettes can turn into just tabs by double clicking the tops. Double click again to open. Saves room for sure.
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 6, 2003
Jodi,

I didn’t know that! Thanks.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 7, 2003
Yes, and if you make a little sub-palette by grouping some together, when you collapse it there’s just enough room to park it on the navigation bar right below the main palette well, so it doesn’t take up any extra screen room at all.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections