AR
Posted By
Amy_Rasmussen
Dec 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using a SAMS book to get me going with this program. Used PhotoDeluxe for years, but this is radically different, but better! The book says to "drag the layers palette away from the palette well" so it will say open, but the bloody thing won’t move and it keeps disappearing! Most frustrating.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 9, 2003
Amy, are you holding down the mouse button when you drag it from the palette well? It certainly should drag and drop if you do that…
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 9, 2003
Amy,

Make sure that you grab it by it’s tab while it is closed up in the palette well. If it is open and anchored to the palette well you cannot move it.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 9, 2003
Mark, that’s interesting. On mine, it won’t drag unless it’s open…
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 9, 2003
that is one of my biggest peeves about the upgrade. Nonsense…it wasn’t broke.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 9, 2003
Mine will drag either from the tab alone when closed or when the palette is open but still in the well.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 9, 2003
Likewise, Beth, in both X and XP.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 9, 2003
Chuck,

I stand corrected. Mine works the same as Beth’s. I keep my well at the bottom of my work area so it was a little deceptive. If I try to grab the open palette anywhere except on the tab (open or close) it won’t move.
AM
Al_Millstein
Dec 9, 2003
I’m the expert on this. The little sucker will absolutely escape every time. This came up once before and some wise man person gave the solution.

If your monitor is set at 800 by 600 pixels, click Start then Control Panel, then Display, then Settings and change it to 1024 by 768.

Go back to Elements, and there your palletes will be nicely spread out and you can grab layers and pull it down.

Then go to Edit/Preferences/General/ check Save Palette Locations. Then the little bugger will remain on your workspace when you close Elements and turn it back on.

You can then go back to control Panel and reset your pixel dimensions if you choose to.

Al
AR
Amy_Rasmussen
Dec 9, 2003
I changed my screen resolution from 8 x 6 to 10 x 7 and now I can actually see what’s in the palette well and so can drag.
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 9, 2003
Amy,

Could you clarify for me the 8×6 and 10×7 figures?

Dick
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 9, 2003
I think she’s using "shorthand" for 800 X 600 and 1024 X 768, or whatever the exact numbers are. That’s the way I interpreted it from the rest of the sentence. At the lower resolution, the palette well is almost impossible to use, but it displays nicely at the higher one.
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 9, 2003
FWIW, my take is the same as Beth’s re: 8×6, 10×7
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 9, 2003
Beth and Byron,

Thanks….makes more sense now!

Dick
Dec 20, 2003
In PSE 2, how can the palette well be positioned to another part of the work area (right now it’s in what I presume is the default area in the upper right)?

I prefer to use a resolution of 800 x 600 on my 17 inch CRT. I can’t get all the palettes to show up in the well unless I change the resolution to 1280 x 1024. Even though I have "save palette locations" checked, most of the palettes disappear when I change the resolution back to 800 x 600. I’d like to be able to keep all the palettes available and in the well.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 20, 2003
Sorry, Robert, but you’re out of luck. The palette well is not able to be configured by the user, and there’s just not enough room at the 800 X 600 res. Have you tried 1024 X 768? That’s a little larger than your first choice but not quite as miniscule as 1280 X 1024.
Dec 20, 2003
Beth,

I’ve tried 1024 x 768 but – while showing more of the palettes – it doesn’t show what I think is the full group. That doesn’t show up until I get to 1280 x 1024.

I guess I’m going to have to get a larger screen or just put up with getting the palettes via the drop-down menu.

–Bob (sorry for the formality of my user name here)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections