PS CS3 10.0.1 opening file problems, argh!

CW
Posted By
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
G’day,

All of a sudden I can’t open existing P/shop files, but I can make new files. Anyone else experiencing this same problem? My problems seem to have started after installing the Camera Raw Update.

Running G5 Quad 2.5GHz with 10.4.9 with 4.5BG, used disk space is 129GB with 104GB free (but that doesn’t matter one bit)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Oct 21, 2008
First the latest system is 10.4.11 I strongly suggest upgrading.

Why don’t you put back the old Camera RAW if you think thats the problem.
B
Buko
Oct 21, 2008
I doubt that its Camera RAW personally.
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
Go to 10.4.11? Not with the problems I’ve seen with it, not yet anyway. Why would that be a solution? Besides tampering with a new OS when I need to get work done for clients isn’t something, I’m going to gamble without first putting it on my P/Book.

As soon as I updated the Camera raw is when the problems started. No idea how to reapply the previous version, any help in that department?

I also re-installed CS3 P/shop Extended and that didn’t work. Right now I’m running T/Tec Pro then I’ll also run D/Warrior over it.

Any other suggestions?
R
Ram
Oct 21, 2008
Any other suggestions?

Not until you update to 10.4.11, It’s rock solid.
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
What the hell has upgrading to 10.4.11 got to do with anything? To suggest that all of a sudden that it not working correctly is something to do with 10.4.9 is total rubbish.

If you are adamant about 10.4.11, what would it have anything to do with why I wouldn’t have this current problem with P/shop?
R
Ram
Oct 21, 2008
Good luck, then. You’re the one with the problems.

That attitude won’t get you much help around here.
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
All I’m asking you is to back up your claim of why you think that all of a sudden it the OS?
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
I’m all for advice, but that you haven’t substantiated why?
R
Ram
Oct 21, 2008
To use your vocabulary, why "the hell" should I?
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
Mate, if you’ve got no real help other than to suggest all the problem is that I’m running 10.4.9 and it will all be magically fixed with installing 10.4.11 but refuse to explain why, then go to hell, because you offer no real help.
R
Ram
Oct 21, 2008
From Guidelines: how to ask your question for quicker answers <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6ccda/8>:

* Do not be abusive or aggressive in your tone

An aggressive or abusive sounding post will often evoke an aggressive or abusive and unhelpful reply.
Remember, you are requesting Help from other users, just like you, who are giving their time free of charge. No-one is under any obligation to answer your question.
R
Ram
Oct 21, 2008
A good time for the host to shut down this pointless thread that violates the forum norms, spelled out in bold red letters on the page where the OP was added:

Please think before posting. Use good netiquette. Offensive or confrontational posts, trolling, spam and other inappropriate content will not be tolerated. Thank you!
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
Please let others who may have help, contribute to this thread, as your genuine help may also be of help to others who may also be experiencing a similar problem.
P
Phosphor
Oct 21, 2008
Have you run a full complement of standard and extended system maintenance scripts? The stuff offered by say, Onyx or Cocktail?

Have you deleted and rebuilt the Launch Services Database?

Have you ditched and rebuilt your Photoshop preferences?

Are you sure you don’t have any corrupt fonts or color profiles mucking up the works in your old files?

Take care of these things (or acknowldge that you already have, and recently, during this current round of troubleshooting), then we can proceed further.

Also, in regards to updating to 10.4.11:

You should experience no problems if you get and apply the combo updater. It really is rock solid, and I had no hesitation about applying it to my production system. Went off without a hitch.
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
G’day,

First up thanks for your help.

I’m only opening straight image files, or trying to. So far as colour profiles, I never touch them or alter them.

Yes, I run all maintenance scripts on a daily basis using either Onyx or Mac Janitor.

No I haven’t been able to yet ditch the P/shop plist (sp?) on to the desktop and restart p/shop. I also regularly run FontDcotor X to check for corrupt typefaces. But it confuses me why I can’t open files but can do everything else.

I’ll also rebuild the Launch Services Database in Onyx when T/Tool pro is finished, I’ll also rebuild P/shop prefs, when I’ve done that I’ll post back.

Appreciate your help Phos±four dots.
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
Okay, I’ve run T/Tool Pro over the machine and when running the test, Finder Info over the hard drive it found:

Bad Bundle Bits: /Volumes/BrandHOUSE/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Adobe Photoshop CS3.app/Contents/Required/Droplet Template.

Ran the same test a second time and it was fixed, then restarted and opened P/shop and I could open files once again.

Now after losing half a days wok I’ll be working a late one tonight catching up on last production.

If anuone can explain what T/tool found it would be a great help. I’m guessing that it has something to do with locating or recognising files?
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
I may have spoken too soon. 🙁
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
I’ve rebuilt the Launch Services Database and rebuilt Photoshop preferences, and nothing.

Any further recommendations?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 21, 2008
What problems have you seen with 10.4.11? Why haven’t you tested it yet on your PB? Why don’t you have a backup system drive on your G5?

It is a long shot that a system update will help here but if you have tried most everything else, then there is the logical step of updating the OS. Keeping a system up-to-date is the most basic troubleshooting. Unless you have some realistic reason to avoid 10.4.11, the folks you are asking for help must assume you are off your rocker for not updating. Many here are probably assuming operator error at this point.

As soon as I updated the Camera raw is when the problems started. No idea how to reapply the previous version, any help in that department?

Uninstall. Reinstall older version.
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
Well I’ve updated to 10.4.11, but still the problem persists.

Other problems within p/shop are:

• files being greyed out so that I can’t select them to open;

• unable to open files;

• continuing to hang

I’ve done all things, permissions, Onyx with all scripts, re-installed, run T/Tool Pro.

I’m almost out of ideas and my deadlines are drawing closer that’s why I’m not working at 12:30am.
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
I back up the G5, I do that nightly at 5:00
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 21, 2008
Have you reverted to the earlier version of Camera Raw?

I also re-installed CS3 P/shop Extended and that didn’t work.

When you ‘re-installed’, did you first uninstall?

If you back up the G5, then shouldn’t you have another working system from before the recent Camera Raw update?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 21, 2008
Chris:

Have you moved, or changed the name, of any folders related to CS3 from the location where they were installed by default?

Have you tried making a new User’s Account and launching Photoshop from that account?
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
Jim, no I didn’t un-install, maybe that could be an idea.

Ann, No I don’t move any applications from the locations that they should be in, playing with that is like playing with fire. Maybe I should try logging in from another account, I have one set up for those just-in-case times.
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
G’day,

Following Ann’s advice I logged out of my account and into another and P/shop opened files successfully. I logged out of that account and back into my normal account and so far, touch wood, P/shop files open within P/shop and open from links within IDCS.

Does that make any sense? I ‘d love to know what could be the reason/cause for this to work so far like it has.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 21, 2008
A different account often indicates issues with permissions and/or preferences. That is what is different with a new account.
P
Phosphor
Oct 21, 2008
One thing that makes problems like the one you’re having difficult to troubleshoot, Chris, is that many of us have never had anything similar happen. Plus, we’re not able to sit there and look through your hard drive or operate your system looking for patterns of anomalous behavior.

Speaking only for myself—in the past 11+ years—through hardware/OS/PS upgrades and goofing around with countless utilities and apps and using a crapload of freebie fonts—I can tell you that I’ve NEVER had a problem with Photoshop that required an exstall/install, nor even a PS preferences ditch. That’s not to say that I haven’t ditched my prefs, or reinstalled—I have—but it never turned out that it was what I needed to do. Photoshop has only cocked up on me maybe twice since Mac OS 7.5.6/PS 4.0.1, but ultimately the fix never had anything to do with PS or its prefs.

We’ve recommended most of the standard fixes; and like Jim said, when things seemed to work after you logged into a new account, that indicates a prefs/permissions problem—prefs/permissions for what, though…that’s the real question. I’d start with trying to ferret out which prefs and permissions are suspect.

Without a full accounting of what you have on your system, and without the benefit of recall of things you may have done in the past which might be connected to your current issue, this dialogue between us is difficult at best. It’s not that I’d abandon your cause, but this may be one of those things that you’ll have to figure out on your own.
Oct 21, 2008
Chris,

I’m glad that things are now working for you. I ask that in the future you refrain from vulgarity. It only encourages more of the same. We try to have a friendly forum that is fit for people of all ages and backgrounds.

The person you offend one day, may hold the answer to your problem if not today, then tomorrow. The person you offend may or may not be the person you are addressing. It never hurts to be courteous.

….Mike [forum host]
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
G’day Mike,

I took offence to Ramon, his post was curt and I took it as arrogant.

Phos±four dots, Ann and Jim thank you for taking the time to help. 🙂

I hate when things go weird, it means I start to lose money. This has been a rock solid machine, maybe something just flipped a switch somewhere, I don’t know.
D
DYP
Oct 21, 2008
Chris

I didn’t follow this whole thread but this problem of not being able to open files is a well known problem when there are disks in optical drives (CD-DVD). This was mostly a problem with 10.4.x, as I cannot remember have this problem of late with 10.5.x.

This may not be your problem so excuse me if have already eliminated this as the issue.
CW
Chris_Waldron
Oct 21, 2008
G’day DYP,

No one had brought it up, but the problem (come to think of it) did arise after I took a CD out of the drive which I was reading from, but I did close down those files before doing so.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections