Posted By
rdoc2
Jun 15, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Photoshop CS4

I have an image that is an 8”x10” photo and I want it to remain that size. It is an image of a turtle which has to much open space around the turtle so I want to crop it to remove all that open space. Now when I crop it to remove the open space the size of the photo becomes smaller.

What is the proper way to now enlarged this cropped image back up to the 8×10 size without causing any loss of quality in the photo? Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TC
tony cooper
Jun 15, 2009
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:00:40 -0700 (PDT), RDOC
wrote:

I am using Photoshop CS4

I have an image that is an 8”x10” photo and I want it to remain that size. It is an image of a turtle which has to much open space around the turtle so I want to crop it to remove all that open space. Now when I crop it to remove the open space the size of the photo becomes smaller.

What is the proper way to now enlarged this cropped image back up to the 8×10 size without causing any loss of quality in the photo? Thanks for your help.

If you have an 8" x 10" photo that you want to crop, but you want the resulting size to be 8" x 10", you set your crop tool to 8" x 10" in the width and height boxes and the image – less the parts you cropped out – will still be 8" x 10". The image will not be smaller.

If you did not specify the crop dimensions when applying the crop, the image will be smaller.

If you have already done this, and not saved a copy of the pre-cropped image, you can bring it back up to 8" x 10" by resizing the image. (Provided that you cropped in a 2:5 ratio) There will be some loss of quality, but it may not be noticeable.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
R
Rob
Jun 15, 2009
tony cooper wrote:
wrote:

I am using Photoshop CS4

If you have an 8" x 10" photo that you want to crop, but you want the resulting size to be 8" x 10", you set your crop tool to 8" x 10" in the width and height boxes and the image – less the parts you cropped out – will still be 8" x 10". The image will not be smaller.
If you did not specify the crop dimensions when applying the crop, the image will be smaller.

If you have already done this, and not saved a copy of the pre-cropped image, you can bring it back up to 8" x 10" by resizing the image. (Provided that you cropped in a 2:5 ratio) There will be some loss of quality, but it may not be noticeable.
btw you should specify the resolution in the box aswell
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 15, 2009
Rob found these unused words:

tony cooper wrote:
wrote:

I am using Photoshop CS4

BUT, there will be fewer pixels

The only difference is the dpi setting, thus the ‘size’.

NO loss, if all you set is the dpi – same as the crop tool does after it removes the unwanted area[s].

IF you resample and try to generate new pixels, there’ll be some changes, but that depends upon the amount of cropping.

Cropping a 4×5 turtle from an 8×10, means you will have 1/4th the original pixels and thus the image will have less apparent detail when printed at 8×10. Still the -=same=- amount of detail as you started with, just that you’ve made it bigger – similar to printing the 8×10 at 16×20.
TC
tony cooper
Jun 15, 2009
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:04:56 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

tony cooper wrote:
wrote:

I am using Photoshop CS4

BUT, there will be fewer pixels

You really want to confuse the guy with this? He wants to crop an 8" x 10" to 8" x 10" by deleting unwanted extra area. The above does that. Assuming the original is sharp, he has a sharp new image that is a better composition.

BL
Bob LaBlawgh
Jun 15, 2009
tony cooper wrote:

You really want to confuse the guy with this? He wants to crop an 8" x 10" to 8" x 10" by deleting unwanted extra area. The above does that. Assuming the original is sharp, he has a sharp new image that is a better composition.

Yes, but it won’t have the same amount of information, therefore it won’t be of the same quality, in precise quantifiable terms. However, if the original is sharp enough, the difference may not be discernible to the average naked eye.

It’s kinda like HDTV. Most people can’t tell the difference between 720p and 1080i although there is a quantifiable difference.

Bob LaBlawgh
β€œIt’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 15, 2009
Bob LaBlawgh found these unused words:

tony cooper wrote:

Yes, but it won’t have the same amount of information, therefore it won’t be of the same quality, in precise quantifiable terms. However, if the original is sharp enough, the difference may not be discernible to the average naked eye.

It’s kinda like HDTV. Most people can’t tell the difference between 720p and 1080i although there is a quantifiable difference.

As with -=any=- resolution, the viewer’s distance from the display plays a major role.

A cropped original that would have printed at, say, 400 dpi, now printing at, say, 250 dpi is still close to the resolution of the medium.

A viewer at 10′ can hardly discern the details between 720p and 1080p. Note that 1080i is actually LESS vertical resolution than720p !!!

Now, put on a 15′ x 26′ sheet, then the audience can see the differences between 720p and 1080p.
R
rdoc2
Jun 16, 2009
On Jun 15, 6:18 pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

tony cooper wrote:

As with -=any=- resolution, the viewer’s distance from the display plays a major role.

A cropped original that would have printed at, say, 400 dpi, now printing at, say, 250 dpi is still close to the resolution of the medium.
A viewer at 10′ can hardly discern the details between 720p and 1080p. Note that 1080i is actually LESS vertical resolution than720p !!!
Now, put on a 15′ x 26′ sheet, then the audience can see the differences between 720p and 1080p.

Let me say thanks for all the above information from all of you. Now I have one additional question, if I do a crop as suggested to retain the 8×10 size should I put the same resolution in the resolution box at the top as I am starting with before doing the cropping? Thanks.
TC
tony cooper
Jun 17, 2009
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:27:39 -0700 (PDT), RDOC
wrote:

tony cooper wrote:

Let me say thanks for all the above information from all of you. Now I have one additional question, if I do a crop as suggested to retain the 8×10 size should I put the same resolution in the resolution box at the top as I am starting with before doing the cropping? Thanks.

Depends. Are you going to print the image or use it on the web? Crop at 240 to 300 if you print, at 72 to 100 if you will use it on the web.

R
rdoc2
Jun 17, 2009
On Jun 16, 8:12 pm, tony cooper wrote:
wrote:

tony cooper wrote:

Depends. Are you going to print the image or use it on the web? Crop at 240 to 300 if you print, at 72 to 100 if you will use it on the web.

I am going to print it as an 8×10 so when I started it had a p/i of 311.5 so when I crop it as the 8×10 should I put in the resolution as 300? Thanks Tony for the help.
R
Rob
Jun 17, 2009
RDOC wrote:
wrote:

tony cooper wrote:
A cropped original that would have printed at, say, 400 dpi, now printing at, say, 250 dpi is still close to the resolution of the medium. A viewer at 10′ can hardly discern the details between 720p and 1080p. Note that 1080i is actually LESS vertical resolution than720p !!! Now, put on a 15′ x 26′ sheet, then the audience can see the differences between 720p and 1080p.

I am going to print it as an 8×10 so when I started it had a p/i of 311.5 so when I crop it as the 8×10 should I put in the resolution as 300? Thanks Tony for the help.

I would and you interpolate it up to the same pixel count.
TC
tony cooper
Jun 17, 2009
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:29:45 -0700 (PDT), RDOC
wrote:

wrote:

tony cooper wrote:

There’s a point beyond which a higher number doesn’t result in a better image. Anywhere between 240 and 300 is recommended for print, but you won’t reduce the quality by using 311.5. The file will just be a bit larger. Use 300 or 311.5. Either will work.

J
jaSPAMc
Jun 17, 2009
RDOC found these unused words:

wrote:

tony cooper wrote:

The you will resample and attempt to -=add=- information. The amount added would be dependent upon how much you’ve cropped.

You may or may not see the artifacts.

Best question is what are you going to print it on?

Fuji Photo or inkjunk?

Frankly, I’d crop using a fixed ratio in the marquee, then see what size you get. Then use the Image Size to set it for 8×10 WITHOUT resampling clicked.

IF the resultant dpi is more than 240 – I’d leave it alone and make the print.
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 17, 2009

RDOC wrote:
wrote:

tony cooper wrote:
A cropped original that would have printed at, say, 400 dpi, now printing at, say, 250 dpi is still close to the resolution of the medium. A viewer at 10′ can hardly discern the details between 720p and 1080p. Note that 1080i is actually LESS vertical resolution than720p !!! Now, put on a 15′ x 26′ sheet, then the audience can see the differences between 720p and 1080p.

The web make absolutely nothing of the dpi … HTML uses PIXELS!

I would and you interpolate it up to the same pixel count.

No … now you have some bastard interpolation as the original setting was 311.5 and you’ve cropped and resampled to another dpi.

Then the printer’s going to have a go at the pixels to fit its capabilities.

In short potential for a discernible difference.
J
Joel
Jul 1, 2009
RDOC wrote:

I am using Photoshop CS4

All you need to do is using the CROP TOOL then you will have 100% crop no matter what size you crop.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections