Posted By
isanders
Aug 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi guys,

I need to crop a couple of hundred photos to 260 x 112 px – but I’m only looking at taking a selection of the pic, and not the whole lot….

I’m looking to set a default size on the crop tool (which Photoshop sortof says it can do it, but I haven’t figured out how)

Also, the pic will need to be resized bigger or smaller, depending which bit I want to chop out – I want to do this easily, and the Zoom In and Zoom Out work just fine for this – except that the crop tool obviously resizes accordingly.

I guess at the end of the day, looking for a key sequence to zoom in and out, while whatever the crop tool takes out of that is 260 x 112

Hoping I’ve made some sense 😉

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
nomail
Aug 30, 2006
wrote:

Hi guys,

I need to crop a couple of hundred photos to 260 x 112 px – but I’m only looking at taking a selection of the pic, and not the whole lot….

I’m looking to set a default size on the crop tool (which Photoshop sortof says it can do it, but I haven’t figured out how)
Also, the pic will need to be resized bigger or smaller, depending which bit I want to chop out – I want to do this easily, and the Zoom In and Zoom Out work just fine for this – except that the crop tool obviously resizes accordingly.

I guess at the end of the day, looking for a key sequence to zoom in and out, while whatever the crop tool takes out of that is 260 x 112

The zoom tool has nothing to do with cropping. All it does is show your picture on screen bigger or smaller.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
I
isanders
Aug 30, 2006
Hi Johan – I’m with that – I was just describing the ease of use (Ctl + or -), and the visual effect (picture gets bigger or smaller), as being the ease of resize that I was looking for. (- as well as being able to preset the crop size so I get the same size each time..

Cheers

Ivan

Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
wrote:

Hi guys,

The zoom tool has nothing to do with cropping. All it does is show your picture on screen bigger or smaller.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
K
Kingdom
Aug 30, 2006
wrote in news:1156927713.461561.14230@
74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

Hi guys,

I think your best bet would be to create a new image 260 x 112. Then set up an action to paste every image into it as a new layer (momory permitting if not drag them in) then manualy go through them layer at a time moving the layer image around to suit resizing with the transform tool, save then switch that layer off to reaveal the next one etc.

———————————————————— ———— Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.
———————————————————— ————
N
nomail
Aug 30, 2006
wrote:

Hi Johan – I’m with that – I was just describing the ease of use (Ctl + or -), and the visual effect (picture gets bigger or smaller), as being the ease of resize that I was looking for. (- as well as being able to preset the crop size so I get the same size each time..

Ok, I understand. What you can do is set the Crop Tool to ‘260 px’ x ‘112 px’. Then you just crop the part of the image you want. Photoshop will automatically crop and resize the image the image to 260 x 112 pixels.

F
fotodewan
Aug 30, 2006
Exactly. Setting image pixels in crop tool is a wonderful option and it makes life so easy when you have to crop and resize lots of photos at one time.

– Fotodewan
http://photos.raniasplace.com

Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
wrote:

Ok, I understand. What you can do is set the Crop Tool to ‘260 px’ x ‘112 px’. Then you just crop the part of the image you want. Photoshop will automatically crop and resize the image the image to 260 x 112 pixels.

JM
John McWilliams
Aug 30, 2006
Kingdom wrote:

Hi guys,

I think your best bet would be to create a new image 260 x 112. Then set up an action to paste every image into it as a new layer (momory permitting if not drag them in) then manualy go through them layer at a time moving the layer image around to suit resizing with the transform tool, save then switch that layer off to reaveal the next one etc.

Er, no.
Unless one just likes complex "solutions" to a simple problem. Read previous replies.

john mcwilliams
K
Kingdom
Aug 31, 2006
John McWilliams wrote in
news::

Kingdom wrote:

Hi guys,

Er, no.
Unless one just likes complex "solutions" to a simple problem. Read previous replies.

Er, no.

Theres always one who fails to read the post then points out to others that they should read the post!

As I understand it he requires to resise elements of the picture to fit with inthe crop size area I.E. SHRINK OR ENLARGE the image but maintaining the crop size!

———————————————————— ———— Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.
RG
Roy G
Aug 31, 2006
"Kingdom" wrote in message
John McWilliams wrote in

Kingdom wrote:

Hi guys,

Er, no.

Er, no.

Theres always one who fails to read the post then points out to others that they should read the post!

As I understand it he requires to resise elements of the picture to fit with inthe crop size area I.E. SHRINK OR ENLARGE the image but maintaining the crop size!

Sorry, but J. McWilliams is spot on with his response.

Setting the Crop Tool to 260 x112 pixels, will acheive exactly what the OP wants, irrespective of what size of crop rectangle is used.

On cropping the selected area will automatically be resized, interpolated, to 260 x112 pixels.

Roy G
N
nomail
Aug 31, 2006
Kingdom wrote:

Er, no.

Er, no.

Er.. Before you claim something, it might be wise to actually try yourself what happens if you set the crop tool to a certain size in pixels, and then crop to something smaller. You would have known that the crop tool cannot only crop and resize, but also interpolate to enlarge if necessary. Whatever you do, if you set the crop tool to 260 x 112 px, that’s what you’ll get: 260 x 112 px.

F
FredEx
Aug 31, 2006
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:34:33 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Kingdom wrote:

Er, no.

Er, no.

Er.. Before you claim something, it might be wise to actually try yourself what happens if you set the crop tool to a certain size in pixels, and then crop to something smaller. You would have known that the crop tool cannot only crop and resize, but also interpolate to enlarge if necessary. Whatever you do, if you set the crop tool to 260 x 112 px, that’s what you’ll get: 260 x 112 px.

I’m glad this came up. I just had somebody ask me to do those actions for them on a few dozen pictures greatly varying in original size and it worked great. I was done in short order.

As you know, also using "in" for inches makes precisely cropping for picture frame size easy too…not all frames are created equal, so I measure them and adjust the cropping accordingly to be precise. Just a tip for those learning.

FredEx
N
nomail
Aug 31, 2006
FredEx wrote:

I’m glad this came up. I just had somebody ask me to do those actions for them on a few dozen pictures greatly varying in original size and it worked great. I was done in short order.

As you know, also using "in" for inches makes precisely cropping for picture frame size easy too…not all frames are created equal, so I measure them and adjust the cropping accordingly to be precise. Just a tip for those learning.

Do keep in mind that if you set the size in inches, that’s what you’ll get: inches. That means that if most images are 300 ppi, but one image happens to be 72 ppi, you’re in for a nasty surprise… Do not only set inches; set inches and resolution (or set pixels).

BB
Boo Boo
Sep 1, 2006
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:18:52 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

FredEx wrote:

Do keep in mind that if you set the size in inches, that’s what you’ll get: inches. That means that if most images are 300 ppi, but one image happens to be 72 ppi, you’re in for a nasty surprise… Do not only set inches; set inches and resolution (or set pixels).

OOPS, forgot to mention that.

Boo Boo
RG
Roy G
Sep 2, 2006
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
FredEx wrote:

Not a problem, just a mild irritation, for sensible photographers, who would be editing Copies.

Roy G
F
FredEx
Sep 2, 2006
On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 01:02:51 GMT, "Roy G"
wrote:

Not a problem, just a mild irritation, for sensible photographers, who would be editing Copies.

Roy G

Making copies and archiving the originals is the first thing I do.

FredEx
N
nomail
Sep 2, 2006
Roy G wrote:

That’s not the point. Of course you work with copies. The point is that you can wait for the day you get a phone call from a client asking why some of the images are so much smaller than the rest. That happens first to those people who say it’s not a problem and it never happens to them.

K
Kingdom
Sep 2, 2006
John McWilliams wrote in

Kingdom wrote:

Hi guys,

Er, no.

Appologies, my error

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections