Posted By
Hugh_Chewning
Oct 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Clone Stamp Tool

With Elements 2.0, I’m trying to take a sky from one picture and use it to replace a bleached out sky in another.

The intended result is a group of people in the foreground with a beautiful sky in the background.

I’ve created my new Image but the area between the people in the picture and the “new” sky needs cleaning up.

Apparently, when I used the Magic Wand to select the people being used in the new image, the select wasn’t as tight as I would like. As a result, the new image shows several white areas around peoples’ heads.

To correct this, I’m attempting to use the Clone Stamp Tool and take a “good” part of the sky and copy/clone it to the areas needing touching up.

I’ve gone to the Sky layer, put my cursor on the target area, pressed the ALT key, and then dragged the brush to the areas needing the fix. Nothing happens.

I can use the Clone Stamp on the People layer but with the Sky layer I’m not getting any result.

What am I doing wrong? Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 2, 2003
When you have the Clone Tool selected, there’s an option on your toolbar near the top of the screen where you can select "use all layers". Make sure you have checked that option and see if it solves your problem.
EM
Elena_Murphy
Oct 2, 2003
Two possible reasons…
1) If you have a selection, you can’t clone from something outside that selection.
2) If you don’t have "All Layers" selected in the options bar across the top, you will only be able to clone from the active layer. Either select that option or make the Sky layer active in the Layers Palette.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Oct 2, 2003
Hugh,
I would delete the "bad" sky in the picture – use the magic wand to select it and delete it, leaving that area transparent.
Select the "good" sky in your source with lasso tool and copy and paste, or drag to a new layer. Now you have the group of people on one layer, sky on another layer, and you can move, resize, adjust things to optimize your work product. You may have to change the layer stacking order and feather the selections to avoid an abrupt interface.
Ken

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections