J
Posted By
justme
Jun 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Back in the Windows 95 days Micrografx Picture Publisher had a very handy clone tool called Mirror Clone which would mirror clone horizontally, vertically or diagonally.

In order to do this in Photoshop, I have to duplicate the file, flip canvas either horizontally or vertically, sometimes rotate it 180 degrees then clone from the duplicate back into the original. This can be very cumbersome and a pain too when working with files several megs in size.

I anxiously check every new release of Photoshop looking for this function and haven’t yet found it. Can’t believe that Adobe wouldn’t include something as simple as this that MPP had 12-15 years ago.

Is there a simpler way to mirror clone in Photoshop? Am I missing something here?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mike Russell
Jun 6, 2007
wrote in message
Back in the Windows 95 days Micrografx Picture Publisher had a very handy clone tool called Mirror Clone which would mirror clone horizontally, vertically or diagonally.

In order to do this in Photoshop, I have to duplicate the file, flip canvas either horizontally or vertically, sometimes rotate it 180 degrees then clone from the duplicate back into the original. This can be very cumbersome and a pain too when working with files several megs in size.

I anxiously check every new release of Photoshop looking for this function and haven’t yet found it. Can’t believe that Adobe wouldn’t include something as simple as this that MPP had 12-15 years ago.
Is there a simpler way to mirror clone in Photoshop? Am I missing something here?

As of CS3 you can rotate and scale the clone tool. Specify a negative width and/or height for a mirror image.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
J
Joel
Jun 6, 2007
wrote:

<snip>

As long as you are not going to learn there will be lot more thing you can’t believe.

– Mirror Cloning NO

– Possible way? you can have 1001 possible ways

What you can’t believe is some very basic that most Photoshop users don’t even think about it. Have you heard of something like "Layer", "Quick Mask", "Transform" (or even erase) etc..?
T
Tacit
Jun 6, 2007
In article ,
wrote:

Wow, that is clumsy.

Why not just duplicate the image into another layer, flip the layer, hide it with a mask, and then paint on the mask with a paintbrush?

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
J
justme
Jun 6, 2007
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 19:41:03 -0400, tacit wrote:

Why not just duplicate the image into another layer, flip the layer, hide it with a mask, and then paint on the mask with a paintbrush?

Cuz I don’t know how. Tried to figure out layers several times and never got anywhere.
J
justme
Jun 6, 2007
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 14:28:51 GMT, "Mike Russell" wrote:

As of CS3 you can rotate and scale the clone tool. Specify a negative width and/or height for a mirror image.

Tried what you suggested and while it worked, it’ll take some practice and playing around to actually make it work properly for me. Thanks Mike for a straight-forward reply. Much appreciated.
J
Joel
Jun 7, 2007
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 19:41:03 -0400, tacit wrote:

Cuz I don’t know how. Tried to figure out layers several times and never got anywhere.

*If* you don’t know then I would suggest you to ASK for instruction instead of acting like you know so well (or you know what Photoshop has and doesn’t have).

LAYER is one of the basics but very advance that you need to learn, else you may not be able to go very far. And Layer alone wouldn’t get you much further *if* you don’t learn few other basic commands.

If you don’t know any basic (or mastered few basic commands) then I would suggest to GOOGLE for some video tutorial and watch how other uses Layer and other commands.
T
Tacit
Jun 7, 2007
In article ,
wrote:

Layers are easy to understand in principle. Imagine in your head a whole stack of sheets of glass. Each sheet of glass has a picture painted on it. That’s all layers are, really.

You can move things around in the stack, you can move a particular sheet of glass up and down in the stack…that’s layers, right there.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
M
Matalog
Jun 11, 2007
I stopped using Picture Publisher about 8 months ago and started watching Total Training’s CS2 tutorials. They revealed a lot to me and I am sorry that I didn’t change to photoshop years ago.

Once you get to grips with a few things you realise that there are a lot of ways to do many things, some of which may not be as easy to do as in other applications but with the amount of power you have with photoshop I would recommend learning it.

But if you don’t want to learn it, you can still get Picture Publisher 10. Corel may have taken over but i’m sure that it has the same features.

wrote in message

N
not
Jun 11, 2007
I stopped using Picture Publisher about 8 months ago and started watching Total Training’s CS2 tutorials.

Wow! Really nice clone-with-perspective features in CS2.

JustMe, check out this tutorial clip from TT. Might be a feature you’re looking for:

<http://www.totaltraining.com/prod/adobe/photoshopcs2.asp>

Click on the photo of the dog in the left margin to see the clip

(Ignore the ignorami posting flames here. Probably a 12-year-old child — well, emotionally anyway — on mom’s computer. This is exactly the appropriate forum to ask your questions.)

Good luck,
FBt

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections