NI
Posted By
Neil_Impelluso
Oct 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I primarily bought Photoshop Elements 2.0.2 for creating graphic pages and menus for DVDs. I assumed that there is a way to do it, but is there a way to have the program grey out or mask the border area on a graphic while you are editing it for video?

Those familiar with video will know that a graphic page (720×480 pixels for example) will display completely on a computer monitor, but will have all 4 borders "hidden" or "masked" by a television monitor. The area that is typically visible (excluding the mask) on a TV is called the Safe Title Area.

Is there a way to show the limits of a Safe Title Area while editing layers? Should I request this as a feature in an upcoming version? Is this feature available in other versions of Photoshop?

Thanks in advance.
Neil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ray
Oct 2, 2003
Neil,

By adding a layer of 50% gray, with 50% opacity (or less, enough the see the pictures behind), over the image, of the size you know is safe, you’ll have your guidelines for every picture you work. When saving your work, just make this layer invisible and it won’t show up on the final picture.

I believe also that Photoshop CS will be shiped with such a feature, along with round pixel for tv image editing. If you’re into serious work, you might consider this product (way more expensive, but might prove to be more handy in your particular case). Photoshop CS is expected to ship end of November.

Ray
LM
Lou_M
Oct 2, 2003
along with round pixel for tv

Er, not sure about the translation, but that would be "rectangular pixel" in English, Ray. 🙂

If I remember correctly, Action Safe is 10% of the picture dimensions, and Title Safe is an additional 10%. You might want to double check that on the forums of the company whose DVD software you’re using (Adobe Encore, Apple DVDSP, etc.).
R
Ray
Oct 2, 2003
Lou,

Sorry… where was my mind when I wrote this ?!?! You’re right, I wanted to say "non square pixel".
I guess I’ve been doing too much computing these days and end having only two choices : True or False (so, square or round.. lol!)

My appologies for the invalid information.

Ray
R
randomelements
Oct 2, 2003
hi

this might help – i stumbled on this yesterday at doom9.net Guide to using Photoshop to create DVD menus
which includes a template.psd

"The first thing I did was create a couple of layers that would show me the safe title area and safe action area of the screen. You can download this file and use it for yourself if you like. Once you are aware of your area to work with, you can begin working on your menu! "

<http://www.trilight.com/dvdguides/psguide/template.zip> the guide to using photoshop to create dvd menus below

<http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/photoshop.htm>

hope this helps

random

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections