RR
Posted By
Robillard, Raymond
Sep 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Richard, thanks for the explanations. I always assumed that the first number refered to the horizontal resolution and the second one to the vertical resolution. Then, what does the first mean?

Thanks,

Ray

"At the PhotoRet III setting, my camera shop told us to acheive a 300 ppi for our particular brand
of printer. Given your equation, I would end up having to send a file of resolution between 600 (x1)
and
780(x1,3) ppi."

Nope.

1200/4 x 1 = 300
1200/4 x 1.3 = 400

This is the range of PPI for optimal printing. IF the resolution of the printer truely is 1200 dpi. In the resolution, take whichever is lower, not higher. so a 720×2400 printer is really 720.

300 is right, and some claim the numbers for inkjets can go as low as .75. I am not going to vouch for that. 1-1 would seem to be the lowest I am comfortable with as you don’t get more detail in an image just by picking a different printer.

Clearer?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
Bigelow, Bert
Sep 30, 2003
Ray,
It is too bad you had to start a new thread to continue this discussion. I don’t know why Bob Hill felt that he had to shut down the thread where this discussion was going on. Sometimes, these forum hosts get a little ahead of themselves. I started a new thread just to cofront Bob on this. I see no justification for shutting down the other thread. The discussion was ongoing, there was no nastiness or personal attacks. Why did he shut it down?
Bert
DN
Douglas_Nelson
Sep 30, 2003
The two numbers refer to how finely the two different sets of stepper motors can move. One set moves the print head over the paper, the other set moves the paper. Although it can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, the larger number generally refers to the motion of the print head.

As Richard has mentioned, the higher number looks impressive, and can actually have some influence on the overall look, but really the lower number is going to be the most important.

Thinking of file specifications in terms of the printer is pretty much a tailchase, at least in the case of desktop printing. It’s good to prepare a file in terms of printING, but not for a given printER. A properly-designed file will print well to any properly-setup printer.
R
Ray
Sep 30, 2003
So, even if I’m tempted to switch for a Canon i950 because it’s a 4800 dpi, I really have to look at
the other number… hum.. interesting. Thanks!

The two numbers refer to how finely the two different sets of stepper motors can move. One set moves the print head over the paper, the other set moves the paper. Although it can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, the larger number generally refers to the motion of the print head.
As Richard has mentioned, the higher number looks impressive, and can actually have some influence on the overall look, but really the lower number is going to be the most important.

Thinking of file specifications in terms of the printer is pretty much a tailchase, at least in the case of desktop printing. It’s good to prepare a file in terms of printING, but not for a given printER. A properly-designed file will print well to any properly-setup printer.
R
Ray
Sep 30, 2003
Bert, thanks for your concern. I find it rude, especially because we’re paying customer, so a little respect would be in order I feel. After all, in a way, we’re paying for this service, with the money we spend on Elements and other Adobe products.

Ray

Ray,
It is too bad you had to start a new thread to continue this discussion. I don’t know why Bob Hill
felt that he had to shut down the thread where this discussion was going on. Sometimes, these forum hosts get a little ahead of themselves. I started a new thread just to cofront Bob on this. I see no
justification for shutting down the other thread. The discussion was ongoing, there was no nastiness
or personal attacks. Why did he shut it down?
Bert
LM
Lou_M
Sep 30, 2003
Bob (or was it Richard?) responded in another thread that it was just that it got too long too quickly. They seem happy for us to continue the thread, but threads over 100 posts are too daunting for people who don’t come by every day. There doesn’t seem to be any ill will involved.

It has been a very enlightening thread.
BH
Beth_Haney
Sep 30, 2003
I second Lou’s comment. I know that even I sometimes will look at the number of posts that have appeared on a new thread and silently groan. But I have the option of skipping anything I don’t want to plow through. Bob and Rich may not have that option.

Having a thread terminated can sometimes be annoying, but I’d rather have them ended because of their length than because of "censorship." After all, we’ve gotta admit that sometimes we do stray a little from the subject, and I’m including myself in the list of people who can get sidetracked. 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Sep 30, 2003
Ok, someone just needs to start a new thread with the ‘ Printer resolution ‘ topic. The way it stands now anyone searching for info on this topic will
not find it under the current heading. Bob said a new thread could be started. Richard justified the reasons it happened. Let’s just do it…someone, anyone…Beth, you are the BEST with wording..how ’bout it ? 😉
RR
Raymond Robillard
Sep 30, 2003
Just have a look at : "New Worm Poses As Security Patch" …121 messages!
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Sep 30, 2003
Just have a look at : "New Worm Poses As Security Patch" …121 messages!

And that topic is COMPLETELY OT as far as anything related to Photoshop is concerned. As I said before, if thread length is a criterion for shutdown, it certainly is NOT enforced uniformly.
Bert
RL
Richard_Lynch
Oct 2, 2003
I always assumed that the first number refered to the horizontal resolution and the second one to the vertical resolution. Then, what does the first mean?

As Doug suggested, it has to do with an increment in movement. It can have some influence, yes, but in my estimation not enough to really regard as true resolution. It is somewhat comparable to interpolated rather than optical resolution in a scanner or camera. Interpolated values are a digital enhancement, and may be estimation.

As far as Bob, that thread did a significant stray mid-stream…was pretty distracting. Short threads tend to be better focused. As these are not generally edited for clarity, it was probably the right choice

Richard

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections