RH
Posted By
Ray_Hennessey
Apr 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m working on a newsletter that will be reproduced on a 600dpi mono photocopier. Is there any tricks I can apply to photos in the master version that will improve the quality when it is photocopied?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Apr 14, 2004
Is this photocopier able to receive your files digitally, or will you be scanning off the glass?
RH
Ray_Hennessey
Apr 14, 2004
Photocopier is not networked so I’ll be scanning off the glass.
P
Phosphor
Apr 14, 2004
Are you asking about the best way to do this on the cheap, with equipment you already have acces to? Or would you consider having it printed at a shop that has networked laser printers?

What quantity?

What app are you using for the final assembly of the newsletter? If Photoshop, then not a good idea, really.
T
Todie
Apr 14, 2004
Try a "continuous tone" approach and a halftone one for the pictures.
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 14, 2004
One thing that really affects the quality of photocopies is the linescreen used in your originals.

There is no magic recipe as the optimum linescreen varies from copier to copier. The best thing to do is to print out several copies of the same image with a variety of linescreens (say 50, 60, 75 and 85) and see which one photocopies the best.
R
Ram
Apr 14, 2004
Photoshop is really not the ideal program to use for a newsletter either. A page layout application would fit the bill.
RH
Ray_Hennessey
Apr 14, 2004
I’m laying it out with InDesign. It’s just a fast and easy newsletter for a local sports club. I intend to produce a master then hand it off to them so they can print it at their club rooms. I think their club list is around 150 so they’ll print around the same.
When doing work for copy jobs (that get copied on the glas, not sent digitally) I try to stick with straight black & white… no greyscale, no gradients.

If I have to use photographs.. I try to take out distracting backgrounds… use clipping paths around people. And zoom in on the subject as much as possible.

Then I print several versions of it at different line screens to see which copies the best.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections