RP
Posted By
Russell_Proulx
Oct 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How does one drag a layer from one image to another in tabbed mode?

I’m forcing myself to work with the tabbed image interface as I assume someone thought this new feature was a good idea.

I often drag or shift+drag layers from one image to another, whether it be adjustments or image elements that need to be placed (in register) as a layer in another open image.

But when I use the tabbed interface mode any attempt to drag a layer from one tab to another in met with a cannot do that’ symbol.

What am I missing???

Thanks

Russell

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

M
mistermonday
Oct 26, 2008
If you look at the icons which are to the right of the Menu Titles, the 2nd from the end is called Arrange Documents. If you pull down the context menu you select the "two up" view. You can then drag a layer from one doc to another.
You can also disable the Tabbed Documents from the Preferences and go back to floating docs. Regards, MM
K
Koogle
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah I noticed the same limitation.. they making floating document mode extra shit(UI interface that doesn’t adhere to System OS visual style, documents that no longer move with the main PS UI, like when you adjust the mainframe size or move the window floating docs would get moved and stay within the UI, unless you dragged and floating doc outside the main ui frame, which was good, but now it seems floating docs always live outside the mainframe and appear above docked although open panel UIs.. not to mention the new theme looks like complete and utter dogshit.. but oh well.. CS5 might get some more work.. maybe they’ll bring back the pallete well.. friggin adobe noobs.

I too liked to drag & drop of layer objects onto another document its common thing I do when working in photoshop.. I just can’t believe how lame Adobe are that they couldn’t allow this functionality seeing as a tabbed UI is the default setup now..

seems like the only way around it is to use the now shit floating document mode… or use one of the splitview modes.. course those are crap, but at least you can D&D layer objects, and then switch back the single doc tab.

lets not get into the flakey shit opengl support and functionality.
K
Koogle
Oct 26, 2008
"If you look at the icons which are to the right of the Menu Titles, the 2nd from the end is called Arrange Documents. If you pull down the context menu you select the "two up" view. You can then drag a layer from one doc to another.
You can also disable the Tabbed Documents from the Preferences and go back to floating docs. Regards, MM "

I hope you don’t agree with that sort of noobshit workflow mechanic?!?!
B
Buko
Oct 26, 2008
Or you can pull the tab off and drag your layer to the separate image.

Maybe you can’t do that on the windows version.
K
Koogle
Oct 26, 2008
wow that sounds so much better… NOT

its no wonder adobe gets with away such shity improvements year in, year out..

And ofc you can do that on the windows version.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 26, 2008
Instead of bitching about something you don’t fully understand, why not try learning the full set of features properly.

You can now do everything you could before, and more!
M
Mylenium
Oct 26, 2008
Well, don’t know what the fuss is about. Works on my end. The only limitation is that you have to set the document focus by taking a detour to the tab of the document before dropping in the actual content. This could be improved of course, I won’t argue that, but please, don’t go crazy over such matters before fully investigating them.

Mylenium
RP
Russell_Proulx
Oct 26, 2008
If you look at the icons which are to the right of the Menu Titles, the 2nd from the end is called Arrange Documents.

Aha … that does it. Thanks 🙂

Having not spent much time with the Tabbed interface until now (had it disabled) I had not realized that together with the ‘Arrange Documents’ feature it becomes even better than floating Windows. Kool 🙂

Use to be that I would be hunting under a bunch of overlapping floating Windows to get at the one’s I needed to drag/drop stuff onto (often adjustment layers that were common to a set of similar images). Now I can toggle between tabbed mode, which displays a tab of every open image, and then switch to an ‘all visible in a grid’ mode for dragging stuff between them. And since they’re in a grid I can work in a more organized manner.

Ok… I’m convinced 🙂

Russell
RP
Russell_Proulx
Oct 26, 2008
Just created two KB shortcuts: one for Window -> Arrange -> ‘Tile’ view and another for Window -> Arrange -> ‘Consolodate All to Tabs’ view.

Getting better all the time 🙂

Russell

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections