EM
Posted By
Eric Matthes
Sep 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I understand that the magic wands selects adjacent pixels within a certain brightness/color range. Is there any way to click on a color in an image, and automatically select all pixels in the image similar to that color, whether they are adjacent or not?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PD
Peter Duniho
Sep 11, 2003
"Eric Matthes" wrote in message
[…] Is there any way to click on a color in an image, and automatically select all pixels in the image similar to that color, whether they are adjacent or not?

I was under the impression that if you leave the "Contiguous" checkbox *unchecked*, that’s what the Magic Wand does. Is that not working for you?

Pete
NS
Nancy S
Sep 11, 2003
Eric,

….and the degree of deviation from the color you clicked on is determined by the amount in the tolerance checkbox. There is also the ‘negative’ of this tool to subtact whatever shade if the selection encompassed more colors than desired.
EM
Eric Matthes
Sep 12, 2003
I had never noticed the contiguous checkbox. I’ll give that a try tonight. I understand the tolerance checkbox, and I already use the subtraction tool. Thank you both!
EM
Eric Matthes
Sep 12, 2003
I unchecked the contiguous box, and my work was much easier. Thank you for the suggestion.
NS
Nancy S
Sep 12, 2003
I think wand may also be influenced by the sample size one has set for the eyedropper, but Rich would need to confirm this.
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 12, 2003
Nancy,

Correct as usual.

Rich
NS
Nancy S
Sep 12, 2003
Hey great, instant gratification supplied by our ‘Adobe Guy’, what a plus!! Thanks Rich.
BG
Byron Gale
Sep 12, 2003
Nancy and Rich,

Thank you for the clue-in to the relationship between the eyedropper and the wand!! I hadn’t considered that the wand’s behavior was influenced by another tool.

Are you aware of other "hidden" relationships between tools?

Byron
EM
Eric Matthes
Sep 12, 2003
I am unfamiliar with the sample size setting for the eyedropper. Does the eyedropper sample the color value in a specified ring around the pixel you click on?
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 12, 2003
Eric, you can click on the Eyedropper tool in the toolbox and it will bring up its own toolbar where you can select from three choices of Sample Size: Point Sample, 3×3 average and 5×5 average, where the 3’s and 5’s refer to pixels.

Chuck

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections