Posted By
James
Jan 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings all,

For quite some time I’ve been working in Photoshop to perfect the art of "swapping heads" and other forms of "Photoshop surgery" (some may call it "Photoshop trickery"). After much time, trial and error, I find that I can do it if a person has the patience. But still more times than not, there seems to be a lingering "fake" aspect to the touched up images. I do my best to match lighting, color, grain, texture and resolution, but yet they never seem to be quite perfect. I know it can be done because I’ve seen other examples floating around here and there, usually on the web, where you know a Photoshop master got in there and did a completely believable composite. Even sometimes of something that can’t possibly exist but yet it looks totally believable, and you findyorself asking, "is that real?"

(perhaps some of you have seen the picture of the "jet airliner," where what is normally the main long passenger section is one big engine, and under the wings where the engines would normally be, are small pods or "passenger sections.")

Seems like I’ve been trying forever (a very long time) to find good information, books or tutorials (preferably video tutorials) on this somewhat obscure subject regarding Photoshop. Some books like "How To Cheat In Photoshop" by Steve Caplin, touch on the subject briefly but are otherwise very lacking and usually devote only 1 or 2 pages to the matter. Who are the masters? Is there anyone that puts out training or tutorials on this specific subject? I would be very grateful if anyone could let me know. Thank you.

James

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

K
krash
Jan 5, 2008
try this… http://www.thefakeplace.net

"James" wrote in message
Greetings all,

For quite some time I’ve been working in Photoshop to perfect the art of "swapping heads" and other forms of "Photoshop surgery" (some may call it "Photoshop trickery"). After much time, trial and error, I find that I can do it if a person has the patience. But still more times than not, there seems to be a lingering "fake" aspect to the touched up images. I do my best to match lighting, color, grain, texture and resolution, but yet they never seem to be quite perfect. I know it can be done because I’ve seen other examples floating around here and there, usually on the web, where you know a Photoshop master got in there and did a completely believable composite. Even sometimes of something that can’t possibly exist but yet it looks totally believable, and you findyorself asking, "is that real?"
(perhaps some of you have seen the picture of the "jet airliner," where what is normally the main long passenger section is one big engine, and under the wings where the engines would normally be, are small pods or "passenger sections.")

Seems like I’ve been trying forever (a very long time) to find good information, books or tutorials (preferably video tutorials) on this somewhat obscure subject regarding Photoshop. Some books like "How To Cheat In Photoshop" by Steve Caplin, touch on the subject briefly but are otherwise very lacking and usually devote only 1 or 2 pages to the matter. Who are the masters? Is there anyone that puts out training or tutorials on this specific subject? I would be very grateful if anyone could let me know. Thank you.

James
S
samandjanet
Jan 5, 2008
James wrote:
Greetings all,

James

The best advice I can give you is practice practice practice. And also remember that you’re always going to be your own worst critic. You know what you did to create the fake, so your eye is naturally drawn to the flaws. Other observers won’t necessarilly spot them. You can bet that the guy who did the example you’re quoting with the airliner probably wasn’t entirely happy with the job, but realised that to his own eyes, it was as good as it’s going to get. He also probably realised that to other folks, those imperfections weren’t as obvious, and might not get noticed at all.

I don’t make any claim to be an expert on photoshop, but I regard myself as a competent user.
These are a couple of examples of my work. Because I did them, my eye automatically gets drawn to the flaws which other people probably wouldn’t notice. I know they’re not perfect, but I also know that I’m much more critical of them than other people.
http://flickr.com/photos/swampy_bogtrotter/302675533
http://flickr.com/photos/swampy_bogtrotter/318974850
http://flickr.com/photos/swampy_bogtrotter/303645420
http://flickr.com/photos/swampy_bogtrotter/306190732
TC
tony cooper
Jan 5, 2008
On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:27:55 -0000, "\(not quite so\) Fat Sam" wrote:

I don’t make any claim to be an expert on photoshop, but I regard myself as a competent user.
These are a couple of examples of my work. Because I did them, my eye automatically gets drawn to the flaws which other people probably wouldn’t notice. I know they’re not perfect, but I also know that I’m much more critical of them than other people.

Yeah. I have some photographs of the assembled family taken last summer. In every one of them except one, there’s something wrong about all the adults…closed eyes, blocked, etc. In the one really good one, one of the grandchildren is out of the picture.

I moved that grandchild from another picture to this picture. No one seems to be able to tell the photo has been "photoshopped". Except me. I can’t look at that picture and not see the tell-tales. —

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
R
Richard
Jan 5, 2008
tony cooper wrote:

Yeah. I have some photographs of the assembled family taken last summer. In every one of them except one, there’s something wrong about all the adults…closed eyes, blocked, etc. In the one really good one, one of the grandchildren is out of the picture.
I moved that grandchild from another picture to this picture. No one seems to be able to tell the photo has been "photoshopped". Except me. I can’t look at that picture and not see the tell-tales. —

For me it is the same as a master carpenter with a project. He knows where his mistakes are and if he showed me, then I would be able to see hem. However, not being a master, I cannot tell myself. The better he is, the better he can cover his mistakes.
I know where my faults are when using photoshop and someone who can do more than me may be able to find them as well. However, the better I get at using photoshop, the more my pictures will look "good" to the average person. Ansel Adams, I will never be 🙂
Richard

Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
J
Joel
Jan 5, 2008
"\(not quite so\) Fat Sam" wrote:

James wrote:
Greetings all,

James

The best advice I can give you is practice practice practice. And also remember that you’re always going to be your own worst critic. You know what you did to create the fake, so your eye is naturally drawn to the flaws. Other observers won’t necessarilly spot them. You can bet that the guy who did the example you’re quoting with the airliner probably wasn’t entirely happy with the job, but realised that to his own eyes, it was as good as it’s going to get. He also probably realised that to other folks, those imperfections weren’t as obvious, and might not get noticed at all.

Practicing! and practicing! and more practicing is what I was about to say, but the OP may not agree so I didn’t bother.

Because even swapping head isn’t my main job, but because the more you work on photo the more interesting thing, and difficult situation you may run into so I sometime have to swap many body part’s.

ZOOM IN and ZOOM IN as closest as you can see more error to correct, more to learn, and more to master. Because just for displaying then you may be able to do some interesting thing in less than a minutes, for small printing then may be less than 1-2 minutes, but for large print then it may take up to 5-10+ minutes.

J
Joel
Jan 5, 2008
tony cooper wrote:

I moved that grandchild from another picture to this picture. No one seems to be able to tell the photo has been "photoshopped". Except me. I can’t look at that picture and not see the tell-tales.

– Closed eyes, then learn to swap eyes. It’s a very simple thing to do, and these are few commands you may need to invest n.

– Transformer to scale, rotate etc.. the replacement eye(s).

– Color Balance, Hue/Sat etc. to match the color (skintone)

– Layer, Quick Mask to blend the new eyes to old head etc..

– Of course you can use Erase and few other basic tool’s.

– Blocked, I don’t know exactly what "blocked" means .. but anything can be possible with Photoshop. And that’s one of 1001+ reasons why Photoshop is much more than RAW that most new digital camera owners swearing <bg>

Here, sometime I have to work on (replace) dental, adding missing finger(s), shrinking jumbo ear(s), removing braces, hairs etc..
TC
tony cooper
Jan 5, 2008
On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:28:19 -0600, Joel wrote:

– Blocked, I don’t know exactly what "blocked" means .. but anything can be possible with Photoshop. And that’s one of 1001+ reasons why Photoshop is much more than RAW that most new digital camera owners swearing <bg>

I used "blocked" to mean that one person is standing in such a way that it blocks the view another person. My family doesn’t stand in an orderly manner when posing.

These particular shots were taken with the camera on a tripod and the camera set to a 10 second delay. The sight of me running to get in the group starts up a Chinese fire drill.

J
Joel
Jan 6, 2008
tony cooper wrote:

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:28:19 -0600, Joel wrote:

I used "blocked" to mean that one person is standing in such a way that it blocks the view another person. My family doesn’t stand in an orderly manner when posing.

These particular shots were taken with the camera on a tripod and the camera set to a 10 second delay. The sight of me running to get in the group starts up a Chinese fire drill.

Thanks for the explanation , and I was thinking "blocked" is either digital or Photoshop term that I have never heard before. And now it makes sense <bg>

Now talking about "blocking", few weeks ago I photographed the anniversary of my 2 first cousins (hahaha I actually relate to both sides .. and of course from both of my parents) and they have 12 children (all living from age early 50’s to mid 30’s), 12 spouces, few dozens grand-children, and 1/2 dozen great-grand-kids they all squeezed into a small spot to fit into 17mm lens (with 1.6x factor would be around 27mm). And I will expect lot of "blocking" and will depend on my Photoshop skill to fix those <bg>
J
Joel
Jan 6, 2008
Joel wrote:

<snip>

Practicing! and practicing! and more practicing is what I was about to say, but the OP may not agree so I didn’t bother.

Because even swapping head isn’t my main job, but because the more you work on photo the more interesting thing, and difficult situation you may run into so I sometime have to swap many body part’s.

ZOOM IN and ZOOM IN as closest as you can see more error to correct, more to learn, and more to master. Because just for displaying then you may be able to do some interesting thing in less than a minutes, for small printing then may be less than 1-2 minutes, but for large print then it may take up to 5-10+ minutes.

BTW, last nite I had nothing to do so I googled for some political images and videos and found tons of funny photos many people done on Bush and current 2008 presidential candidates.

I guess the OP should learn from those (if s/he still reading this thread).
MC
Monte Cristo
Jan 6, 2008

James wrote:
Greetings all,

James

It’s interesting you say that as I’ve thought about this quite a few times. I’m sure every artist goes through it. What is the litmus test as to whether something looks "real enough" or not? It’s interesting… I snap a picture with my Nikon D2X, print it out, show it to people and it looks "real," because it is real. But in all my years of working with Lightwave (and more recently, 3DS) I have seen only ONE rendering of a human face that looked absolutely real. And I guess it took many hours of rendering time for the creator to render that one frame, as I understand it. I’m sure you guys have had the experience where you had to save the project, shut off the computer overnight, and wake up the next morning so you could take a "fresh look" at your image. We sometimes seem to get too involved in our projects, thereby temporarily diminishing our capacity to see it objectively. So we have to step back for a while and then look at it again.

Hey Sam, first I want to thank all of you for your advice and input as it is much appreciated. In my estimation your projects are quite superb. I can’t look a them and really see any "seems" where the alterations took place. And with all respect to your work I want to point out that your images are clearly meant to be perceived as a "photo trick," if you take my meaning.

I think I skewed off a bit on a tangent in my initial post talking about the airliner. The main focus of what I want to do is composite heads and/or whole bodies if possible, so my initial post may have been a bit misleading (my own fault).

I’m sure I will find what I’m looking for at worth1000.com. There’s some pretty awesome stuff there.

At this point I think the problem with head swapping isn’t so much lighting, color and grain (which is definitely an art unto itself) as much as photo perspective. When dealing with Photoshop "cosmetic surgery" and head swapping, a person knows that each picture was shot with a different camera, using different lenses of different focal lengths. All lens systems distort a captured image regardless of equipment quality. Not so much because of inferior equipment (as in the blatant pin cushioning of a $40 lens) but because you’re taking a 3D world and eventually portraying it on a 2D medium of some sort. There’s also the angle and azimuth at which the photos were taken.

I think this is what mostly causes the image to look "fake" when swapping/compositing heads. I think it’s mostly a camera perspective challenge. Would this seem to be the case to you?
J
James
Jan 6, 2008

James wrote:
Greetings all,

James

It’s interesting you say that as I’ve thought about this quite a few times. I’m sure every artist goes through it. What is the litmus test as to whether something looks "real enough" or not? It’s interesting… I snap a picture with my Nikon D2X, print it out, show it to people and it looks "real," because it is real. But in all my years of working with Lightwave (and more recently, 3DS) I have seen only ONE rendering of a human face that looked absolutely real. And I guess it took many hours of rendering time for the creator to render that one frame, as I understand it. I’m sure you guys have had the experience where you had to save the project, shut off the computer overnight, and wake up the next morning so you could take a "fresh look" at your image. We sometimes seem to get too involved in our projects, thereby temporarily diminishing our capacity to see it objectively. So we have to step back for a while and then look at it again.

Hey Sam, first I want to thank all of you for your advice and input as it is much appreciated. In my estimation your projects are quite superb. I can’t look a them and really see any "seems" where the alterations took place. And with all respect to your work I want to point out that your images are clearly meant to be perceived as a "photo trick," if you take my meaning.

I think I skewed off a bit on a tangent in my initial post talking about the airliner. The main focus of what I want to do is composite heads and/or whole bodies if possible, so my initial post may have been a bit misleading (my own fault).

I’m sure I will find what I’m looking for at worth1000.com. There’s some pretty awesome stuff there.

At this point I think the problem with head swapping isn’t so much lighting, color and grain (which is definitely an art unto itself) as much as photo perspective. When dealing with Photoshop "cosmetic surgery" and head swapping, a person knows that each picture was shot with a different camera, using different lenses of different focal lengths. All lens systems distort a captured image regardless of equipment quality. Not so much because of inferior equipment (as in the blatant pin cushioning of a $40 lens) but because you’re taking a 3D world and eventually portraying it on a 2D medium of some sort. There’s also the angle and azimuth at which the photos were taken.

I think this is what mostly causes the image to look "fake" when swapping/compositing heads. I think it’s mostly a camera perspective challenge. Would this seem to be the case to you?
G
granny
Jan 6, 2008
"James" wrote in message
James wrote:
of "swapping heads" and other forms of "Photoshop surgery" but yet they never seem to be quite perfect. I
know it can be done because I’ve seen other examples floating around here and there, usually on the web, where you know a Photoshop master
got in there and did a completely believable composite.
James

Warning.. NUDITY…
James do as Kevinkienlein said above Join (free) at:
http://www.thefakeplace.net/
They have great tutorials there and are all about head replacement.. the best of the web hang there.. Just one of the best is Vincent… You can check out one of his very basic tutorials here:
http://www.mrdelicious.net/NFC/vincent/vangoghs/basic.htm

If /when you join http://www.thefakeplace.net/ scroll down to the "Library" for tutorials or "Vinnie’s Corner" for in-depth breakdowns of how he does it.. His work can be viewed at:
http://www.mrdelicious.net/NFC/vincent/vangoghs/ear.htm

PS.. they also do some rendering there..

"Granny"
Old N Slow N Prefer Quick N Easy
K
KatWoman
Jan 6, 2008
"Monte Cristo" wrote in message

James wrote:
Greetings all,

James

The best advice I can give you is practice practice practice. And also remember that you’re always going to be your own worst critic. You know what you did to create the fake, so your eye is naturally drawn to
the flaws. Other observers won’t necessarilly spot them. You can bet that the guy who did the example you’re quoting with the airliner probably wasn’t entirely happy with the job, but realised that to his own eyes, it was as good as it’s going to get. He also probably realised
that to other folks, those imperfections weren’t as obvious, and might not get noticed at all.

I don’t make any claim to be an expert on photoshop, but I regard myself as
a competent user.

most of my swaps on heads eyes etc
I am fortunate to have similar frames to choose from to raid the parts with same light etc

but
in cases where background light direction is not matching between the background or subject
try render>lighting effects

not matching color can fix in curves, selective color, channels, color balance etc, a choice of tools
the grain thing is harder to match
maybe use Gaussian blur layer over in blend mode

if you are going to make a good finished piece try to make it from good elements and quality images
well lit.. good resolution..

a lot of what I see that makes it fake looking:
poorly cut out edges, helmet hair
bad image quality too small file sizes for the collage elements forget to add back shadows around objects in the correct direction of the light

SAM great images
loved the concepts
S
samandjanet
Jan 7, 2008
Monte Cristo wrote:

James wrote:
Greetings all,

James

The best advice I can give you is practice practice practice. And also remember that you’re always going to be your own worst critic.
You know what you did to create the fake, so your eye is naturally drawn to the flaws. Other observers won’t necessarilly spot them. You can bet that the guy who did the example you’re quoting with the airliner probably wasn’t entirely happy with the job, but realised that to his own eyes, it was as good as it’s going to get. He also probably realised that to other folks, those imperfections weren’t as obvious, and might not get noticed at all.

Yeah, I’ve been there too.
In a previous episode of my life, I worked as an illustrator, doing traditional artwork with paints, pencils and inks. I’ve encountered this so many times. Yuo go to bed of an evening thinking "I’ll finish that tomorrow" only to wake up the next day and realise that it doesn’t need any more work. But the opposite can be equally true. I’ve found myself going to bed thinking a job was finished, but when I viewed it again in the morning with fresh eyes, I could see tons of errors and realised I didn’t like it much.

Hi, yeah, I regard these as photo trickery. Trying to create a surreal scene which looks like it could have been real.
This is sort of what I do for fun in photoshop.
When I’m working seriously in Photoshop, I do restorations and repairs of old or damaged photos.
You can see some of my restoration work here…
http://flickr.com/photos/swampy_bogtrotter/sets/721576000458 24330/

I know what you mean, but the principles are the same regardless. There are some things that you can do to give yourself a head start and make the job a bit easier.
Before you start to mask, cut out and superimpose the head or body, work with the hue and saturation, levels, curves etc. Whatever it takes to match the colours before you even start merging them. This really does make the whole job easier.
Also, carefull selection of your source images is a must. Attention to details like the direction of shadows, quality of light, tanned skin tones, noise in the images etc can make or break your project.

A lot of folks make the mistake when superimposing heads of not aligning the new head correctly, or having it either too big or too small. This can be easily sorted by reducing teh opacity of the superimposed head, and then playing with the alignment, position, angle and scale until the facial features line up with the image underneath. In particular, try to make the eyes line up, and the top lip or top row of teeth if you can see them. This should get the head positioned in a believable and realistic looking position.

Yuo can also correct any problems with shadows and highlights by using the burn and dodge tools. With carefull work, you can really make the face more or less 3-dimensional feeling, and even alter teh direction of light to match the underlying scene.

Don’t be afraid to experiment with different mask limits on the face. Sometimes you’ll have a defined chin which allows you to mask to the edge of the face.
Sometimes the chin won’t be so defined, so you’ll have to extend the overlay down onto the subjects neck or even chest.
And sometimes you can get away with feather masking the facial features only, allowing the original face shape to form the outline, aith only the features contained within being replaced.

It also helps if all your source images are as high-res as possible.

It’s hard to give an exact blueprint because every job is different, but the three key elements really are colour, lighting and alignment. Get those right and you can find work-arounds for the rest.

There’s some pretty good tutorials on there.
Sadly however, in recent years, their contest entries have become more concerned with the idea or interpretation of the theme rather than the realism of the final image. As a result, some stunningly realistic, and technically perfect images have been getting beaten by images that look like they were done using MS Paint.

I agree about the lens distortion to an extent, but to be honest it’s not as much of an issue as you would imagine.
Photoshop has a whole raft of tools to overcome lens distortion, and when you’re only working with small elements from images, the effects of lens distortion become less relevant and much less obvious.

Good luck with your projects. I hope you’ll share links to your results when you’re ready to share them with us.
S
samandjanet
Jan 7, 2008
KatWoman wrote:
a lot of what I see that makes it fake looking:
poorly cut out edges, helmet hair

LOL @ helmet hair.
I sprayed my coffee…That’s ten points to you.

bad image quality too small file sizes for the collage elements forget to add back shadows around objects in the correct direction of the light

SAM great images
loved the concepts

Aaw shucks…Thanks 🙂
S
samandjanet
Jan 7, 2008
granny wrote:
"James" wrote in message
James wrote:
of "swapping heads" and other forms of "Photoshop surgery" but yet they never seem to be quite perfect. I
know it can be done because I’ve seen other examples floating around here and there, usually on the web, where you know a Photoshop master
got in there and did a completely believable composite.
James

Warning.. NUDITY…

where where where ? ? ?
That’s one of my favourite things to see.
😉
B
Brian
Jan 8, 2008
"(not quite so) Fat Sam" wrote in

James wrote:
Greetings all,

James

The best advice I can give you is practice practice practice. And also remember that you’re always going to be your own worst critic.
You know what you did to create the fake, so your eye is naturally drawn to the flaws. Other observers won’t necessarilly spot them. You can bet that the guy who did the example you’re quoting with the airliner probably wasn’t entirely happy with the job, but realised that to his own eyes, it was as good as it’s going to get. He also probably realised that to other folks, those imperfections weren’t as obvious, and might not get noticed at all.

Yeah, I’ve been there too.
In a previous episode of my life, I worked as an illustrator, doing traditional artwork with paints, pencils and inks. I’ve encountered this so many times. Yuo go to bed of an evening thinking "I’ll finish that tomorrow" only to wake up the next day and realise that it doesn’t need any more work.
But the opposite can be equally true. I’ve found myself going to bed thinking a job was finished, but when I viewed it again in the morning with fresh eyes, I could see tons of errors and realised I didn’t like it much.

Hi, yeah, I regard these as photo trickery. Trying to create a surreal scene which looks like it could have been real.
This is sort of what I do for fun in photoshop.
When I’m working seriously in Photoshop, I do restorations and repairs of old or damaged photos.
You can see some of my restoration work here…
http://flickr.com/photos/swampy_bogtrotter/sets/721576000458 24330/

I know what you mean, but the principles are the same regardless. There are some things that you can do to give yourself a head start and make the job a bit easier.
Before you start to mask, cut out and superimpose the head or body, work with the hue and saturation, levels, curves etc. Whatever it takes to match the colours before you even start merging them. This really does make the whole job easier.
Also, carefull selection of your source images is a must. Attention to details like the direction of shadows, quality of light, tanned skin tones, noise in the images etc can make or break your project.
A lot of folks make the mistake when superimposing heads of not aligning the new head correctly, or having it either too big or too small. This can be easily sorted by reducing teh opacity of the superimposed head, and then playing with the alignment, position, angle and scale until the facial features line up with the image underneath. In particular, try to make the eyes line up, and the top lip or top row of teeth if you can see them. This should get the head positioned in a believable and realistic looking position.

Yuo can also correct any problems with shadows and highlights by using the burn and dodge tools. With carefull work, you can really make the face more or less 3-dimensional feeling, and even alter teh direction of light to match the underlying scene.

Don’t be afraid to experiment with different mask limits on the face. Sometimes you’ll have a defined chin which allows you to mask to the edge of the face.
Sometimes the chin won’t be so defined, so you’ll have to extend the overlay down onto the subjects neck or even chest.
And sometimes you can get away with feather masking the facial features only, allowing the original face shape to form the outline, aith only the features contained within being replaced.

It also helps if all your source images are as high-res as possible.
It’s hard to give an exact blueprint because every job is different, but the three key elements really are colour, lighting and alignment. Get those right and you can find work-arounds for the rest.

There’s some pretty good tutorials on there.
Sadly however, in recent years, their contest entries have become more concerned with the idea or interpretation of the theme rather than the realism of the final image. As a result, some stunningly realistic, and technically perfect images have been getting beaten by images that look like they were done using MS Paint.

I agree about the lens distortion to an extent, but to be honest it’s not as much of an issue as you would imagine.
Photoshop has a whole raft of tools to overcome lens distortion, and when you’re only working with small elements from images, the effects of lens distortion become less relevant and much less obvious.

Good luck with your projects. I hope you’ll share links to your results when you’re ready to share them with us.

Hi Sam,

that was a great post. You gave some excellent advice and I really enjoyed looking at some of your images. I used to do photo restoration also, but now I do more retouching/enhancing work and some digital makeovers.

Best regards,
Brian.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections