S
Posted By
Scott
Dec 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Not at my pc but send a psd file to a guys whos going to print some high res images for me. I have the document at a set size, the only thing I need him to change is the dpi from 72 > to the highest he can get.

He though says the image though gets smaller when he increases the dpi but at my home, it does not. The image size is the same if I increase the dpi.

What setting has he missed.

Cheers

Scott

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
Jim
Dec 21, 2004
"Scott" wrote in message
Not at my pc but send a psd file to a guys whos going to print some high
res
images for me. I have the document at a set size, the only thing I need
him
to change is the dpi from 72 > to the highest he can get.
He though says the image though gets smaller when he increases the dpi but at my home, it does not. The image size is the same if I increase the dpi.
He hasn’t. You have instructed your program to add pixels by checking the interpolate button.
By the way, he can reset the dpi at his computer.
Jim
C
Corey
Dec 22, 2004
"Scott" wrote in message
Not at my pc but send a psd file to a guys whos going to print some high
res
images for me. I have the document at a set size, the only thing I need
him
to change is the dpi from 72 > to the highest he can get.

Cheers

Scott

dpi (dots per inch) and ppi (pixels per inch) are similar, yet different things but the same principal applies to each. An image that is 10 inches wide at 72 ppi will be 720 pixels wide (10 x 72). The same image, if changed to 300 ppi without resampling will still be 720 pixels wide, but the size will shrink to 2.4 inches (720 divided by 300). This is because the pixels are now smaller. To get the idea, think what the image would look like if the resolution was one pixel per inch. Each pixel would be one inch wide, making the image 720 inches wide. It wouldn’t look good on your monitor, but might look fine on a billboard.

So resolution does affect the size of the image, not the quality, as long as the image isn’t resampled. To change the resolution, make sure Resample Image is unchecked. You can see the size change with various resolution settings. So if your friend is seeing the image at 72 ppi, then my guess is that just the size has increased. The original number of pixels are still there. Just the resolution needs to be changed.

Peadge 🙂
S
Scott
Dec 22, 2004
Thanks for that.

One my system, the dpi is set to 72 dpi. If I increase the dpi to 5000, the images goes massive. Is this correct as the size of the image is still the same.

Scott
C
Corey
Dec 22, 2004
"Scott" wrote in message
Thanks for that.

One my system, the dpi is set to 72 dpi. If I increase the dpi to 5000,
the
images goes massive. Is this correct as the size of the image is still the same.

Scott

You need to uncheck "Resample Image" in the panel where you change Image Size. The image should get way smaller., not bigger. Look at the other dimensions when doing this. the number of pixels should stay the same.

Peadge 🙂
J
Jim
Dec 27, 2004
"Scott" wrote in message
Thanks for that.

One my system, the dpi is set to 72 dpi. If I increase the dpi to 5000,
the
images goes massive. Is this correct as the size of the image is still the same.
You are resampling the image. Don’t.
Jim

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections