Photoshop CS will not recognise entire font library.

BC
Posted By
burn_cycle
Mar 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was working with text inside Photoshop CS and suddenly noticed that it was only recognizing half of my font collection. I would say about 500 or so out of the 1000. Oddly enough, the fonts that is does recognize are not usable when I try text on a path, they only work when I use the type tool and use type the old way. So to make sure that it wasn’t something wrong on my behalf, like font location, or bad fonts in general, I loaded up Illustrator CS. ALL of my fonts appear perfectly, and furthermore have no issues what so ever being on a path etc. So this would mean that my fonts are in the correct folders in my library and they are not damaged. Is there a font limit in Photoshop? And going over X amount of fonts causes it to bug? I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or could help. Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Mar 5, 2004
Is there a font limit in Photoshop?

Not officially; in practice, many users are seeing missing fonts in Photoshop. Non-working active fonts are news to me. I’d start by trashing Preferences and then re-launching Photoshop.

In any event, it’s a good idea to manage your fonts through a pro font management utility like Font Agent Pro and have only a few fonts active at any one time.
MH
Max_Hancock
Mar 6, 2004
Are you using Suitcase X1 to manage your fonts? … or that pathetic Apple Font Book thing?
BC
burn_cycle
Mar 6, 2004
I am using no font management. All 1000 are loaded. Font management isn’t something I require as don’t often work with text. And when I do I like everything loaded so I can have variety to chose from. Maybe Photoshop just cant handle it yet. Illustrator works spot on with the entire library.
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2004
Having 1,000 fonts active at once is not a good idea.
BC
burn_cycle
Mar 7, 2004
Well I guess that would all be dependant on what machine you have 1000 fonts active on. I have had no problems in anything else with them active. Quark, Illustrator, InDesign…etc… But all this font management advice it totally off topic. No matter what fonts I have active, Photoshop should see them and I should have access to them without the extra work of turning fonts on and off. Such is not the case. My post was in reguard to fixing THIS sole issue. Not on how I could manage my font library.

Anyone with something relevant to this issue, please post a comment. Though I appreciate the opinions, if you chose to font manage…good for you. But that doesn’t solve my issue. Anyone having similar problems or ideas about what might be going on in Photoshop, or a fix somehow, please post a reply.
I
iGary
Mar 7, 2004
Font managing WILL solve your issue. It is foolish to have so many fonts active at the same time. If you are not open to font managing, which is the solution to this problem, then end this topic here and now. None of the regular users around here would think of having so many fonts active at the same time, regardless of whether or not Photoshop can handle it or not.

If you don’t work with text, then why on earth would you want so many fonts in the first place?

I have been providing Macintosh IT services full time for about 5 years now. Fonts are the number one cause of problems.

Gary Smith
BC
burn_cycle
Mar 7, 2004
Font management will NOT solve my issue. You people are like talking to a brick wall. Furthermore, I will not kill this topic. It is not foolish to have how ever many fonts I choose loaded. When I do use text, I find it more helpful to see the fonts in use. Therefore I can not just turn then ones I want on as I have to see them on more than just a generic situation backed on white. If you have the time and want the extra work flow to turn fonts off and on, then try them out, then turn some more on, try those out, that is your option. I choose not to. And as for your IT experience, it obviously doesn’t apply to me. My machine has no issues handling all the fonts loaded at one time. Maybe you should think about upgrading your hardware and save yourself some time turning fonts on and off.

Hopefully someone manages to grasp the concept that I am just looking for someone with a similar issue maybe, or something OTHER than font management as a solution. Not everyone is so keen on font management and has many fonts loaded as well. Those are the people I am hoping to hear from. Aside from that I’m not looking for ANY of your opinions. And the fact that "None of the regular users around here would think of having so many fonts active at the same time" is banal and unproductive to my question. I would hope such professionals would be able to read and understand a topic. I’ll hope that some "non regular users" (who can also be very experienced in Photoshop) with a little less font pretension see my post.
R
Ram
Mar 7, 2004
Burn Cycle,

If you stop your rant for just a second, you might notice that you haven’t provided any details about the exact version of your operating system (we can assume it’s some version of OS X, but which?) nor what kind of fonts you are trying to type on a path.

You might want to read this other thread:
Graham Phillips "PS CS: Slower than molasses!" 12/16/03 9:54am </cgi-bin/webx?13/10>

It’s entirely possible that you’re not seeing any type appear and give up before it does. It’s a speed issue according to that thread:

Q.–> I created 2 test files (8" x 8" @300/72 ppi respectively). I then created a circle path in each file, then tried to type a three word phrase on the path. The characters never appeared until I finished typing and endured a 5-10 second spinning beach ball. Same thing if I deselected the type tool, re-selected and tried to edit the type. The 72 ppi file showed some (but not much) improvement.

A–> Type on a Curve ended up slower than I would have liked on the Mac, for technical reasons that you probably don’t want me to go into. Keeping the path simple helps, try to avoid using a selection converted to a path.

Read the whole thread.

As to the font number limitation bug, there is no solution other than font management. If you don’t like that answer, it’s entirely your problem.

You typed in your original post

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or could help.

None of us, or any other user in this user-to-user-forum has any obligation to reply. You could have had enough manners and basic decency to express your appreciation. I certainly will not bother with any other post of yours in the future.
B
Buko
Mar 7, 2004
If you have a 1000 fonts and you don’t use font management and you have them all active you’re an idiot.

most people here won’t say that but they are all thinking it.
I
iGary
Mar 7, 2004
I will guide you to the solution to your problem.

<http://www.extensis.com/products/index.html?ref=hpnav> and
<http://www.insidersoftware.com/>

FontBook would be a waste of time. My preference is FontReserve. FontAgent Pro is great unless you need to activate fonts for Classic.

Considering your head up where the sun don’t shine attitude, I should hold back on this. But I will rise above that.
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75494>

Gary Smith
CC
Carlton_Chin
Mar 7, 2004
Hi Burn Cycle,

As Ramon has mentioned, it is helpful that we all be polite, patient and receptive of other people’s input/advice when using this forum. Any advice no matter how useful or not should be appreciated (regardless of level of experience). We all have busy schedules but we try to find the time to help others on this forum. With that said, there could be a few other variables that could be causing your font issue.

How much memory do you have installed? Even though the memory management is much better with Panther (compared to the old days with MAC OS 9 and earlier), you can never have enough memory. Programs like Photoshop and Illustrator requires a loads of RAM. Your problem is sort of similar to mine except that it is reverse. Although I do use Suitcase to manage my fonts, I can see my entire active list of fonts in Photoshop but only partially in Illustrator (after hours of working on my machine).

What seems to contribute to this problem is maxing out the memory from using Quark, Photoshop and Illustrator to work on several project/files and having so many font active (lots of active fonts do take up memory too). I have 1GB or RAM but it still isn’t enough. It would be helpful to know a little more info. on your computer setup.

So your font menu problem could be any of the following:

— Not enough RAM in your computer.
— Adjusting memory allocation that each program is using could help. — Damaged preference file(s) that needs to be trashed.
— Application (e.g. Photoshop) "may" need to be reinstalled. — It couldn’t hurt to rebuild the desktop and zap the PRAM or run disk utility like Norton’s and or DiskWarrior (if applicable).
— Certain font files maybe corrupted/damaged. Replace with new ones or use a font repair program like Font Doctor.
— I know you do not want to hear this but a font management program could/would be helpful. Suitcase or FontReserve would be good choices as Gary mentioned. And there are free demos available.
PR
Philip_R_Anderson
Apr 9, 2004
All these answers are incorrect…

The font issue is a major issue that almost everyone is having when using Panther. When you have over a certain amount of fonts, it will not list in any Adobe product – showing only lines. This will happen no matter what professional font manager one is using. I have tried in vain with a variety of them to no avail. AND, I am still using Photoshop 7.0.1.

This is an issue between Apple and Adobe that needs to be cleared up. Unfortunately, Adobe customer service wants to charge me to "check into" the problem. I am finding that nobody at either Apple, nor Adobe wishes to address this issue – or really does not know.
For so many people who have this problem, I am surprised that it is not written about more often.

And by the way, I have tried several different ways of managing fonts, and the problem remains with any Adobe product – it still lists all fonts up until a certain letter.
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004
Philip,

The idea is to activate only a few fonts with a font manager. If you only activate the ones you use at a given time, all those will show up in your fonts menu.

That being said, I do agree that it’s a very annoying bug that we all wish were fixed. I had not run across this phenomenon since SuperPaint, and we all know how old that application is. If there was at least an unambiguous response regarding the magic number of fonts before you reach the limit …
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004

[DELETED]
L
LRK
Apr 9, 2004
I don’t have time to read this thread… but for what it’s worth, here’s what I’ve started doing. I’m stilll using FontBook. I have Suitcase and FontReserve but am hesitant to use either because of the problems I’ve had with both of them in the past.

However, I’ve noticed that Font Book does not always accept certain fonts… and sometimes when it does, one program will recognize them while another program won’t.

Rather than spin my wheels over this, I’ve just begin dragging resisiting fonts into the Font folder of those particular applications. It’s been a workable solution for me.
B
Buko
Apr 9, 2004
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
FontAgent Pro
L
LRK
Apr 9, 2004
FontAgentPro? Gee, that’s a new one. 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 9, 2004
Did anyone remember to mention FontAgent Pro?
L
LRK
Apr 9, 2004
What’s that? 😉
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 9, 2004
It sometimes hides behind dark glasses and masquerades as FAP.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections