Posted By
Slippyaah
Jul 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m using Photoshop 7 on a windows machine and I have a large number of fonts installed (about 5,500) but I can’t see them all to select them in the photoshop font selection box. I take it there is a limitation on the number of fonts you can view in Photoshop and was wandering if there was a way around this either by way of a patch or anything else?

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Slippy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 27, 2004
Please take this problem with PS as a wake-up call. It is a warning that your Windows system is in a bad state. Loading over 5000 fonts is foolhardy, as every one is using resources and your system will suffer in numerous ways.

You have 2 options:

1) Just remove, say, 5000 of these fonts and only keep a few hundred installed. That is still way, way more than even a professional designer should need at any one time.

2) Get a font management program, which will allow you to load/unload fonts as you need to. Adobe ATM is a possibility.

Last bit of advice: if you get a CD full of cheap fonts, never load more than a dozen or so at a time. One bad one can cause you endless pain [indeed you may have got that already] and be hard to find among thousands.

Since any document should never have more than about 2 different fonts [otherwise it looks like a ransome note], who needs thousands?
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 27, 2004
Colin

Good advice, although I will quibble on the statement "who needs thousands".

If you changed it to "who needs 1000s at the same time", I will buy in.

Don
CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 27, 2004
If you changed it to "who needs 1000s at the same time", I will buy in

That is what I said in (1).

The answer to "Who needs thousands?" [at th esame time or not] is, I guess, a professional designer who does a lot of text work for a very wide range of clients. Can’t think of anyone else.
B
BobLevine
Jul 27, 2004
Adobe ATM is a possibility.

Just to clarify. That should be ATM Deluxe 4.1. ATM lite won’t help at all.

Bob
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 27, 2004
Re: The answer to "Who needs thousands?" [at th esame time or not] is, I guess, a professional designer

Bingo. But not at the same time. Should the person be a professional, he or she will surely have a font manager.
GA
Gabriel_Ayala
Jul 27, 2004
I have a large number of fonts installed (about 5,500)

There is your problem.

Like the other users said, get a font manager. There are plenty to choose from but personally, I use ATM.

if you get a CD full of cheap fonts, never load more than a dozen or so at a time.

My advice is if you get a CD with cheap fonts, throw away that CD and buy some OpenType fonts.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jul 28, 2004
Ummmm…Open Type…worth every penny!

Just wait until you try to output cheap fonts at a commercial printer…12 point courier all around!
B
BobLevine
Jul 28, 2004
Not necessarily, but certainly a possibility.

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections