Aug 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
"Kyle White" wrote in message
| Hi Basil,
|
| I get it as well (on DSL) and have since I first started using PE2. I believe Adobe is making small tweaks and twiddles available all the time. I’ve got the Preferences > Adobe Online options set to "daily" and we’re seeing the transaction take place.
|
| I have noticed that, over time, PE2 seems to have become more stable for me, but whether or not it’s these transactions I have no idea. (There have been a few system twiddles and more RAM in the machine)
|
| May have to do a tcpdump and have a look at the packets, one of these days.
|
| Kyle
|
| Edit: The last one was headed for /Library/Application Support/Adobe …. then I missed the rest of it.
|
| K

This is interesting. I have had Adobe Online OFF since installing it about 6 months ago. Just now I ran the update, and only one file was available — SVG Viewer — which I downloaded. I also checked for "all updates," and there are no additional updates.

Ed

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

KW
Kyle White
Aug 3, 2003
Hi Ed,

Yeah, these files that are downloaded during PE2’s startup don’t seem to be official "updates" as per the download page or anything, and none of them is very big. I’d say the largest I’ve seen would still be well under 1 MByte.

It seems to happen only once a day, at most, so I’ve already missed today’s opportunity, but I’m going to see if I can’t capture the packets using tcpdump and see what’s going on. If I find anything I’ll post it here.

Kyle
BP
Basil Pap
Aug 3, 2003
Thank you all.
Mac’s explanation seems to be right. I had set update frequency to weekly. When I checked see all, all is there is SVG Viewer. It is unlikely that Adobe is making minor tweaks. Same thing with recipes. Nothing lately (from Adobe at least.)
KW
Kyle White
Aug 5, 2003
Well, I captured today’s transaction with "tcpdump" and had a look at the innards. It’s an "http" transaction with a whole raft of javascript interacting with cgi scripts on the Adobe server. All it’s doing is determining what program made the call (Photoshop, PSElements, InDesign2 etc etc), what platform you’re using and whether or not there are updates for that combination.

Could be a bit of a pain to run daily if you’re on a dial-up line, but nothing special otherwise.

TTFN
Kyle

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections