M
Posted By
mikedunny
Aug 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just to be clear…my company has legal deals with records labels to produce out of print cds on their behalf.

I’m trying to improve our process to get the most professional looking end product.

Can anyone provide suggestions on how to best reproduce a piece of artwork, specifically a CD cover.

I’m using Photoshop. Should I save as tiff, cmyk for best print results? Any suggestions on scanning? Am I getting any benefit from scanning at higher than 300 dpi?

Currently I have 2 templates, one for back and one for front, which are about 20meg PSD files.

I then have to scan the original and merge it onto the template in order to update copyright info, etc. Should I scan the originals as tiffs @ 300 dpi for best results?

Any help in this process is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I’m using an HP Color Laserjet printer.

Thanks.
Mike

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
BD
Aug 3, 2006
results? Any suggestions on scanning? Am I getting any benefit from scanning at higher than 300 dpi?

I once scanned a DVD cover, and printed it ‘as is’ – the moire was very distracting.

I then used the ‘Median’ filter, and set it to just enough pixels to smooth out the moire. Much better result.

I don’t think I went higher than 300 dpi though. So the only suggestion I can make is that you give the Median filter a quick try.
BS
Bob Somethingorother
Aug 3, 2006
In article ,
"MikeD" wrote:

Just to be clear…my company has legal deals with records labels to produce out of print cds on their behalf.

Can anyone provide suggestions on how to best reproduce a piece of artwork, specifically a CD cover.

The record companies will provide you with the artwork if this is truly a legal operation.

I’ve taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Bob
in Carmel, CA
R
Rob
Aug 4, 2006
MikeD wrote:

I’m trying to improve our process to get the most professional looking end product.

I’m using Photoshop. Should I save as tiff, cmyk for best print results? Any suggestions on scanning? Am I getting any benefit from scanning at higher than 300 dpi?

Currently I have 2 templates, one for back and one for front, which are about 20meg PSD files.

I then have to scan the original and merge it onto the template in order to update copyright info, etc. Should I scan the originals as tiffs @ 300 dpi for best results?

Thanks.
Mike

Scan the originals using the morie filter in the scanning program this is to reduce the screen.

I’m not sure what the screen size is of the original, but the scanner program has a few settings to use (dependant on the publication screen)to eliminate the effect.

Its better to get the best image from the scanner before having to adjust within PS.
M
mikedunny
Aug 4, 2006
Actually no they won’t. These are old, out of print import classical titles.
I don’t appreciate the insuation.

Bobert wrote:
In article ,
"MikeD" wrote:

The record companies will provide you with the artwork if this is truly a legal operation.

Bob
in Carmel, CA
M
mikedunny
Aug 4, 2006
Actually they can’t…these are old, out of print, import classical titles.
I don’t appreciate the insinuation.

Bobert wrote:
In article ,
"MikeD" wrote:

Bob
in Carmel, CA
N
noone
Aug 4, 2006
In article ,
says…

Thanks.
Mike

As mentioned, the likelihood of moire is probable and BD gave you a tip there. Since you are reproducing via desktop Laserjet, you want to scan and work in RGB, as that is what you will send to the printer. CMYK is for offset printing, i.e. ink on paper. Also, you may need to convert the bit-depth to 8 -bit for some of the Filters to work. If the ones that you want are greyed- out, Image>Mode>8-bit/Channel will correct that. Do any color/density work at the higher bit-depth first.

Scan at ~300 dpi with highest color bit-depth at the size you will be working in, or a bit larger. Be aware that the images were produced via a color half- tone process and the patterns will be there. PS offers a few different ways to deal with this, as probably does your scanning software:

1. In scan, rotate the image a few degrees, say 15

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections