P
Posted By
Peter
Oct 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am just learning PS CS2. Is there any rule of thumb to use for setting the opacity of adjustment layers. So far I go by how it looks. The problem is that sometimes I get unwanted effects in the print.
TIA

Peter

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
noone
Oct 22, 2005
In article <4359a3bc$0$32161$>,
says…
I am just learning PS CS2. Is there any rule of thumb to use for setting the opacity of adjustment layers. So far I go by how it looks. The problem is that sometimes I get unwanted effects in the print.
TIA

Peter

Peter,

On most of my Adjustment Layers, I keep them at 100%, unless I am trying for a certain effect. This is basically what you are doing. If your system is calibrated, you shouldn’t be too far off in the printing process. Obviously, it’s easier if you are doing desktop printing and not sending out to a print shop, as you can tweak the image on the spot, rather than show up for a press -proofing at 3:00 AM, only to find that you have a problem.

I’d guess that you are close, doing it by "eye," and that a check of your system’s calibration might get you closer still.

Exactly which AL’s are you experiencing problems with? What are these problems and "unwanted effects?"

Hunt
P
Peter
Oct 23, 2005
"Hunt" wrote in message
In article <4359a3bc$0$32161$>,
says…
I am just learning PS CS2. Is there any rule of thumb to use for setting the
opacity of adjustment layers. So far I go by how it looks. The problem is that sometimes I get unwanted effects in the print.
TIA

Peter

Peter,

On most of my Adjustment Layers, I keep them at 100%, unless I am trying for a
certain effect. This is basically what you are doing. If your system is calibrated, you shouldn’t be too far off in the printing process. Obviously,
it’s easier if you are doing desktop printing and not sending out to a print
shop, as you can tweak the image on the spot, rather than show up for a press
-proofing at 3:00 AM, only to find that you have a problem.
I’d guess that you are close, doing it by "eye," and that a check of your system’s calibration might get you closer still.

Exactly which AL’s are you experiencing problems with? What are these problems
and "unwanted effects?"

Thanks for your response.
I will try to explain my unwanted effects. The shot is a cityscape with a bald sky. Color has been fully desaturated. (because I will want color in some of the other areas, I desaturated rather than use geayscale. After I added a layer with a sky I reduced opacity and added a curve layer. My on screen effect left the buildings with a slight sky reflection in the windows. There was also sufficient sky filling in the bald areas, with no sky showing on the solid walls. In the print the walls show a trace of sky. I see my alternative as masking all the buildings and individual windows. If there is a better way, I would really appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

Peter
All things being equal,
a fat person uses more soap
than a skinny person.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections