How to deselect brush tool

RM
Posted By
Robert Montgomery
Aug 16, 2010
Views
1694
Replies
7
Status
Closed
How can I consistently deselect the brush tool?

Somebody suggested pressing Shift Command D, but that only works only sometimes.

I tried pressing the keys altogether and also slightly apart, but I haven’t been able to figure this out after trying many times.

Robert

Powered by Creative Market

B
Bigguy2010
Aug 17, 2010
On 16/08/2010 14:24, Robert Montgomery wrote:
How can I consistently deselect the brush tool?

Somebody suggested pressing Shift Command D, but that only works only sometimes.

I tried pressing the keys altogether and also slightly apart, but I haven’t been able to figure this out after trying many times.
Robert
Try Ctrl and D

Guy
F
fillyflash
Aug 17, 2010
just type one letter, say, V for the move tool, M for the marque tool. Get back to the brush tool by typing B. Or if you don’t know the alphabet, just click on one of the tools in the tool bar. On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:24:49 GMT, Robert Montgomery
wrote:

How can I consistently deselect the brush tool?

Somebody suggested pressing Shift Command D, but that only works only sometimes.

I tried pressing the keys altogether and also slightly apart, but I haven’t been able to figure this out after trying many times.
Robert
RM
Robert Montgomery
Aug 27, 2010
Thanks, Bigguy.

Control and D don’t work consistently for me. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Robert

Bigguy2010 wrote:
On 16/08/2010 14:24, Robert Montgomery wrote:
How can I consistently deselect the brush tool?

Somebody suggested pressing Shift Command D, but that only works only sometimes.

I tried pressing the keys altogether and also slightly apart, but I haven’t been able to figure this out after trying many times.
Robert
Try Ctrl and D

Guy
RM
Robert Montgomery
Aug 27, 2010
Thanks, Fillyflash.

Clicking on another tool in the tools menu seems to be the easiest way for me to do this, so I don’t have to look down at the keyboard.

Robert

wrote:
just type one letter, say, V for the move tool, M for the marque tool. Get back to the brush tool by typing B. Or if you don’t know the alphabet, just click on one of the tools in the tool bar. On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:24:49 GMT, Robert Montgomery
wrote:

How can I consistently deselect the brush tool?

Somebody suggested pressing Shift Command D, but that only works only sometimes.

I tried pressing the keys altogether and also slightly apart, but I haven’t been able to figure this out after trying many times.
Robert
TC
tony cooper
Aug 27, 2010
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 20:08:11 GMT, Robert Montgomery
wrote:

Thanks, Bigguy.

Control and D don’t work consistently for me. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Robert

Some tool will *always* be the active tool. When you want to deselect the Brush tool, you will have to make some other tool active. The best choice is to open the Hand tool (press the letter "H" on your keyboard). The Hand tool doesn’t do anything unless you have the image larger than "fit to screen".

The above does not require the Control/Command key. Just the letter.

I don’t know where you got the idea that Command + D deselects a tool. It deselects a *selection". Open a file, invoke either the Marquee tool or the Lasso tool and drag out a selection. The selection will be shown by the "marching ants". Invoke Command + D. The selection goes away.

The above is for Mac. On a PC, "Control" replaces "Command".

Bigguy2010 wrote:
On 16/08/2010 14:24, Robert Montgomery wrote:
How can I consistently deselect the brush tool?

Somebody suggested pressing Shift Command D, but that only works only sometimes.

I tried pressing the keys altogether and also slightly apart, but I haven’t been able to figure this out after trying many times.
Robert
Try Ctrl and D

Guy


Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
D
Dave
Aug 28, 2010
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 20:08:11 GMT, Robert Montgomery
wrote:

Thanks, Bigguy.

Control and D don’t work consistently for me. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Robert

You don’t know what you are doing wrong? Top posting of course, idiot. You are interupting people. That’s what you are doing wrong.
RM
Robert Montgomery
Aug 30, 2010
tony cooper wrote:
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 20:08:11 GMT, Robert Montgomery
wrote:

Thanks, Bigguy.

Control and D don’t work consistently for me. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Robert

Some tool will *always* be the active tool. When you want to deselect the Brush tool, you will have to make some other tool active. The best choice is to open the Hand tool (press the letter "H" on your keyboard). The Hand tool doesn’t do anything unless you have the image larger than "fit to screen".

The above does not require the Control/Command key. Just the letter.
I don’t know where you got the idea that Command + D deselects a tool. It deselects a *selection". Open a file, invoke either the Marquee tool or the Lasso tool and drag out a selection. The selection will be shown by the "marching ants". Invoke Command + D. The selection goes away.

The above is for Mac. On a PC, "Control" replaces "Command".

Bigguy2010 wrote:
On 16/08/2010 14:24, Robert Montgomery wrote:
How can I consistently deselect the brush tool?

Somebody suggested pressing Shift Command D, but that only works only sometimes.

I tried pressing the keys altogether and also slightly apart, but I haven’t been able to figure this out after trying many times.
Robert
Try Ctrl and D

Guy

Thanks, Tony.

That was a longstanding, irksome problem.

Robert

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections