P
Posted By
patrick
Apr 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just to let you know what’s happened. I’ve made some progress in that I can now get a .NEF thumbnail into the Camera RAW plug-in but File Browser still cannot display the preview.

I copied the Camera RAW .8bi and .8bx files from a working system to no avail.
I removed and reinstalled PS CS with no change.
I ran a System Restore with the result that PS could not find its default gradient, patterns, contours, etc.
I again uninstalled and installed PS CS with the same effect as above.

I just now realized that installing PS from the CD may have loaded an obsolete Camera RAW plug-in so my next step is to download the current version from NikonUSA.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your suggestions and have pursued them.

Thanks! . . . . patrick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Brian
Apr 26, 2005
patrick wrote:
Just to let you know what’s happened. I’ve made some progress in that I can now get a .NEF thumbnail into the Camera RAW plug-in but File Browser still cannot display the preview.

I ran a System Restore with the result that PS could not find its default gradient, patterns, contours, etc.
I just now realized that installing PS from the CD may have loaded an obsolete Camera RAW plug-in so my next step is to download the current version from NikonUSA.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your suggestions and have pursued them.

Thanks! . . . . patrick
Thanks for letting us know how things are going, Patrick. I hope the next step will solve the problem. Have a great day,

Brian.
P
patrick
Apr 26, 2005
Good (??!!) News. That is, good news and bad news.

The Nikon plug-in turned out to be current so that avenue was a dead end.

Howsomever. . . .! I have NO idea what is going on but I am able to get the File Browser to behave by double clicking on the generic icon for an .NEF image to load it into the Camera RAW plug-in, then into PS. I immediately save that image with no changes. File Browser now behaves normally on any image that I have run throughn that procedure.
It also behaves on newly shot images.

Oddly, Windows Explorer displays all thumbnails on that chip when I select View>Thumbnails.
So does Exlements 3.0.

So the future looks bright and I’m ready to walk away from the problem.

Thanks for your inputs and support! . . . . patrick

"Brian" wrote in message
patrick wrote:

Thanks! . . . . patrick
Thanks for letting us know how things are going, Patrick. I hope the next step will solve the problem. Have a great day,

Brian.
H
Hecate
Apr 26, 2005
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:21:57 GMT, "patrick"
wrote:

Good (??!!) News. That is, good news and bad news.

The Nikon plug-in turned out to be current so that avenue was a dead end.
Howsomever. . . .! I have NO idea what is going on but I am able to get the File Browser to behave by double clicking on the generic icon for an .NEF image to load it into the Camera RAW plug-in, then into PS. I immediately save that image with no changes. File Browser now behaves normally on any image that I have run throughn that procedure.
It also behaves on newly shot images.

Oddly, Windows Explorer displays all thumbnails on that chip when I select View>Thumbnails.
So does Exlements 3.0.

So the future looks bright and I’m ready to walk away from the problem.
Thanks for your inputs and support! . . . . patrick
Glad you found something that works. There have been more problems, it seems with the Nikon RAWs and PS than any of the other camera types, usually caused by the Nikon software placing it’s own 8b* files in the Photoshop folders.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
P
patrick
Apr 27, 2005
"And so it goes . . . ."

cu on down the road! . . . . patrick

"Hecate" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:21:57 GMT, "patrick"
Glad you found something that works. There have been more problems, it seems with the Nikon RAWs and PS than any of the other camera types, usually caused by the Nikon software placing it’s own 8b* files in the Photoshop folders.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections